C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Overheating is an Understatement

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:29 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

If it overheats at idle, it isn't a radiator capacity issue. If it overheats at speed, it isn't from lack of airflow (not a fan problem.)

You still didn't say if this prob just started or not, but I think your water pump failed, or you have some blockage keeping water from the radiator.

If the problem just started, did you change something, or did it unexplicably appear?

You are not getting too fast of water flow, especially if the problem just started.

You said the Tstat works, you just changed it? is it opening fully?

Doug
Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 PM
tebok
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck
If after you troubleshoot your problem it leads to your radiator this is the best place to go:

http://www.dewitts.com/collections/c...inum-radiators

Dennis
Thanks Dennis. Would you suggest sticking with the motor driven fan or converting to electric (4139063M) ?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:05 PM
tebok
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZDoug
If it overheats at idle, it isn't a radiator capacity issue. If it overheats at speed, it isn't from lack of airflow (not a fan problem.)

You still didn't say if this prob just started or not, but I think your water pump failed, or you have some blockage keeping water from the radiator.

If the problem just started, did you change something, or did it unexplicably appear?

You are not getting too fast of water flow, especially if the problem just started.

You said the Tstat works, you just changed it? is it opening fully?

Doug
I have owned the car for only two weeks and the issue has been there the whole time. Now I know why the seller only wanted to meet after 730 at night. Other things like a 160 deg thermostat, 16# radiator cap, lockout tab on clutch fan, etc. lead me to believe that this issue has been around for a while.

The Tstat opens fully. Checked it in the kitchen first.

Good input Doug. Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 01:10 PM
kcust62
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This may sound off the wall, since you've stated that you are running a #'s matching 327/365 engine, but, have you checked the block to make sure it is a 3782870 and not a 3858180. The 8180's were used in conjunction with the 2870's, but, had much thinner cylinder walls. If the overbore of .060" is done on an 8180, I'd be a little worried. Just a thought.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

If you could post a few pics of your engine bay so we all could see your set up that could help. Do you still have the fan shroud and the seals for example. Is the fan correct or some aftermarket flex fan? Original distributor with full time ported vacuum? Just a few more specifics and we should be able to narrow this down a bit.

Dennis
Old 07-09-2013, 01:29 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Possibly a head gasket leak or cracked head. A block tester kit will verify if so, many shops offer this service, shouldn't cost too much, ot just buy your own, they are not expensive.

I would eliminate combustion gasses into the coolant first, then investigate things like water pump. The 16# cap is a combustion gas clue.

You can also leave the cap on loose (first notch) and drive the car and see if problem continues, releasing the gases into the air should slow or eliminate teh overheating, especially if you have a 160* Tstat.

Doug
Old 07-09-2013, 01:34 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,171 Likes on 487 Posts

What if Bubba put a reverse rotation water pump in? You would probably need to pull the pump to inspect the impeller.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Electric fan is just another fix to try and solve a different problem. You DON'T have an airflow problem, anything over 20 MPH, and you don't need a fan at all for cruise conditions.

Ah, the old meet at night trick. Kinda like the car is already warmed up when you get there to look at it trick. There is something being hidden, the question is, what?

Doug
Old 07-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Electric fan is just another fix to try and solve a different problem. You DON'T have an airflow problem, anything over 20 MPH, and you don't need a fan at all for cruise conditions.

Ah, the old meet at night trick. Kinda like the car is already warmed up when you get there to look at it trick. There is something being hidden, the question is, what?

Doug
Old 07-09-2013, 02:18 PM
tebok
Instructor

Let's hope is only a couple hundred dollar fix and not a couple thousand dollar fix.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM
tebok
Instructor

If you could post a few pics of your engine bay so we all could see your set up that could help. Do you still have the fan shroud and the seals for example. Is the fan correct or some aftermarket flex fan? Original distributor with full time ported vacuum? Just a few more specifics and we should be able to narrow this down a bit.

Dennis
The fan is a clutch and I've also used a rigid racing fan, but I'm not certain about the distributor.

Here are the only engine pics I have at this time:

Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 PM
tebok
Instructor

Originally Posted by toddalin
What if Bubba put a reverse rotation water pump in? You would probably need to pull the pump to inspect the impeller.
I know that the water is flowing correctly because the lower hose is 20 deg cooler than the upper hose.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Originally Posted by tebok

Let's hope is only a couple hundred dollar fix and not a couple thousand dollar fix.
Hang in there. Post some pics for us we can sort it out.

Dennis
Old 07-09-2013, 02:31 PM
tebok
Instructor

Possibly a head gasket leak or cracked head. A block tester kit will verify if so, many shops offer this service, shouldn't cost too much, ot just buy your own, they are not expensive.

I would eliminate combustion gasses into the coolant first, then investigate things like water pump. The 16# cap is a combustion gas clue.

Doug
Kits are only $25 bucks so that's not bad. Although I doubt that's the case. I haven't seen any oil in the water or water coming out of the tail pipes. Never hurts to check though.

Last edited by tebok; 07-09-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Kits are only $25 bucks so that's not bad. Although I doubt that's the case. I haven't seen any oil in the water or water coming out of the tail pipes. Never hurts to check though.
I had a leaky headgasket/overheat problem once, and never had eitehr of those symptoms. It was a minor gas leak, car would over heat and puke coolant.

Doug
Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Here is some additional reading from just a few days ago. Same year as yours.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...g-problem.html

Dennis
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2
Ya, the "high flow" can pump coolant so fast it doesn't have time to do a heat exchange.
Good opinion Miguel! Years back when building Hot Rods with lots of miss matched parts we would occasionally have to put a man made blockage of some sort into a cooling system due to too fast a flow threw the Radiator. Last time I mentioned this in a Thread, Barry, of Barry and Linda Fame ridiculed me for suggesting such a thing. Experience teaches us some things that Slide Rules contradict!
If I were the OP, I'd remove the Therm. and drive the car just to observe the result. Next I'd try filling threw the upper Radiator Hose and the Therm. Housing Port.. Never know, could be an Air Trap somewhere. (I know, highly unlikely). All Diagnosis Testing can be done with plain tap water for convenience. Keep us posted so we all learn something new. Al W.

Get notified of new replies

To Overheating is an Understatement

Old 07-09-2013, 08:45 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are bulges on each end that may be the tanks you're describing.

It's a painted versio of this:
Any chance the last owner painted it himself and clogged all of the fins?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

There are bulges on each end that may be the tanks you're describing.

It's a painted versio of this:
Although not as good as a DeWitts repro, that Griffin radiator, in good condition, has plenty of capacity for your car's engine. My bride's track car runs this radiator which cools a 377 in full song lap after lap. On-track coolant temps have never gotten above 180.

That said, you might want to run your hand all around the front of the core to ensure that the whole radiator is participating in cooling the engine.

Jim
Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Kiss

Borrow a rad pressure tester and test the system for leaks . Check it cold first, then warm it up and pump it up again .
My guess would be a cracked head or a head gasket and
the pressure test will show you if it has either one .

Bill

Quick Reply: Overheating is an Understatement