C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

help diagnose overheating problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:39 PM
nrt69
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default help diagnose overheating problem...

my 64 has ALWAYS run cool. surprisingly cool in fact even in the middle of summer.
just recently it just started overheating while driving and/or boiling over when parking it. Need some help narrowing down the problem.

it has the stock radiator thats been in the car since ive owned it - 15 yrs. I put some radiator flush through it a couple of months ago to see if that would work.
stock water pump. I think I replaced it in 2003 when I built the motor.
180 thermostat which works because I can watch it open up on my autometer gauge.
fan clutch is good. I compared its ability to spin against a new one. same resistance in both.
its got a new overflow tank cap on it. I THINK I replaced it when I did the radiator flush. I think its a 13. don't remember what the old one was.
car used to run no more than 200 in the summer. now its running 220-230 if I take out on the highway. around town it does ok still. oil temp is 230-240. the car have never come close to overheating in the past 15 yrs and now all of a sudden its doing it.

suggestions?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:12 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Did you check to see if the vacuum advance is working? Put a timing light on it and check to see if the timing is per specs..
Old 06-29-2013, 04:23 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

Brian,

I have been through this with my '65 and '61 copper brass radiators.

Get a Dewitt's direct fit radiator and you will lower your temps by 30* plus.

All the parts houses have them and they are running sales right now.

I wish I had taken advice from folks on here sooner. I can now drive my cars in the summer and they stay cool at even at idle. Best money I have ever spent!

Last edited by jtranger; 06-29-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-29-2013, 04:28 PM
nrt69
Instructor

didn't check vac advance....but then I haven't touched the timing since the motor was built in 2003. the electronic ignition and distributor was replaced at the same time.

I don't mind replacing the rad with an aluminum one but id like to diagnose the problem first. my brass radiator has worked more than perfectly for the past 15 yrs. this is a new, sudden, problem.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:03 PM
jtranger
Melting Slicks

Received 149 Likes on 116 Posts

I thought mine was working for the past 15 yrs also until I replaced it! If the obvious checks out you probably need one. Use a IR temp gun to check the temp of the radiator to see if it is cooling properly.

Last edited by jtranger; 06-29-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-29-2013, 05:35 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

fan clutch is good. I compared its ability to spin against a new one. same resistance in both.
Was this done cold? How do you know that it is still engaging when it gets hot? This would be what I would first think of with your description. That or air in the system.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

If it does ok in town and heats up on the road, it's not the clutch fan. Air flow through the radiator at speed should be controlled by the vehicle speed and not the fan. If nothing changed in the shroud or air flow through the radiator, you may have a clogged or corroded radiator.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:02 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

I would definitely check the vacuum advance, and the timing, make sure it is advanced at idle to max vacuum. I usually make sure the vacuum advance is on full time manifold vacuum, not ported off the carb. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:23 PM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Another thing you may want to check are the radiator hoses. Sometimes when they get older and weaker, they will collapse under acceleration impeding flow.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Like others have said, first check you timing to make sure your vacuum advance is kicking in at idle and cruise. A bad vacuum advance pot can cause over heating.

You say it’s the “stock” radiator. Is it an original aluminum stacked core without side tanks? Just trying to determine the type and age of the radiator. If it’s 49 years old, it could be problematic due to age.

It’s also not clear from your post whether your problem started before or after you flushed the radiator? Also, please define what you mean by “flush.” Did you add a chemical flush solution and flush it under pressure? Depending on how it was done, you may have dislodged rust and gunk that didn’t get totally removed from the system, clogging the radiator. You might try a professional flush (radiator shop) including removal of the block drain plugs.

If everything else fails, a new DeWitts restoration radiator is a work of art.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM
nrt69
Instructor

fan clutch was checked cold.

nothing changed with the timing.

hoses aren't old, but aren't new either. the lower rad hose has always had a slight kink in it but again, the car has always run low temps until recently.

started before. the rad flush was with an off the shelf product to see if that would help the overheating. flush, drain, and new coolant, done in my driveway. no significant change.

stock rad. It looks like it has side tanks.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by nrt69
nothing changed with the timing.
To check your vacuum advance, hook up a timing light. Check the timing with the vacuum hose to the distributor disconnected and plugged. Then connect the vacuum hose to the distributor and compare readings. You should see a jump of about 8-12 degrees depending on the vacuum canister.

hoses aren't old, but aren't new either. the lower rad hose has always had a slight kink in it but again, the car has always run low temps until recently.
The original lower hose and correct reproductions have a coiled spring inside to prevent them from collapsing. Modern hoses are more rigid and don’t need a spring. May or may not be a problem.

started before. the rad flush was with an off the shelf product to see if that would help the overheating. flush, drain, and new coolant, done in my driveway. no significant change.
Again, a profession flush including removal of the block drain plugs may help.

stock rad. It looks like it has side tanks.
If it has side tanks, it’s not an original aluminum stacked core radiator. Even a new copper/brass side tank radiator will have 20-40% less cooling capacity than a new aluminum stacked core radiator. There is a pic of a new DeWitts aluminum reproduction radiator (like the original) in my album if you’re not sure what to look for. I suspect you may have a 20+ year old copper/brass replacement radiator that has reached the end of its life cycle.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mike67nv; 06-30-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:46 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

my 64 has ALWAYS run cool. surprisingly cool in fact even in the middle of summer.

Now its running 220-230 if I take out on the highway. Around town it does ok still.

If it runs hot at speed and cool around town, that's an indication that the radiator is clogged. After it has been running for a while, open the hood, put your hand between the hood and the nose panel, (put a bolt through the hood support so the hood doesn't close on you), and feel different areas of the front of the radiator core. It should have a uniformly hot temperature to it. If you feel any cool spots, the radiator is clogged.

RON
Old 06-30-2013, 01:58 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Hi: I had the same thing with my '65. It ran at 180 degrees all the time, then all of a sudden it started running at 200 to 220*. I did the basic checks as you are doing now, the rad looked good and clean inside when looking in the top. The fix was a new Dewitt’s reproduction stack plate type rad. It looks stock and with a 160* thermostat the car would not get over 150*. I installed a 180* thermostat and it runs at 160*(using an IR gun to check temp at thermostat housing). On a 90*F day in stop & go traffic it might climb to 170*. You can't go wrong with a Dewitt’s rad. Dave
Old 06-30-2013, 02:56 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I would suggest T-stat. When you say you can see it open up on your autometer gauge, I assume you mean while driving, temp rises, then cools a bit at Tstat temp, but then srtarts rising again. T stat may not be opening up fully.

Doug
Old 06-30-2013, 05:21 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I would suggest T-stat. When you say you can see it open up on your autometer gauge, I assume you mean while driving, temp rises, then cools a bit at Tstat temp, but then srtarts rising again. T stat may not be opening up fully.

Doug
Good point! I had a t-stat sticking in my truck one time, a cheap and easy part to replace.
Dave
Old 06-30-2013, 05:48 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

now its running 220-230 if I take out on the highway. around town it does ok still. suggestions?
Highway overheating is usually the end of the radiator. It probably doesn't help that it's been 100f in Texas.

10% hotter outside means 10% hotter motor 200=220

Get notified of new replies

To help diagnose overheating problem...

Quick Reply: help diagnose overheating problem...