C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Old 02-20-2015, 06:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

1960 C1 Water Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Default 1960 C1 Water Pump Replacement

Just when I think I am finished with the car and ready to start it I load the cooling system up with water and I have a leak around the back plate screws of my brand new water pump.

With that said what is the easiest way to remove the water pump and can it be done without disturbing the block side motor mount gaskets.

Can you hold the engine in place with a floor jack on the pan or done I need to lift it with an engine lift.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I wouldn't realistically expect you to do this without risking the integrity of those block gaskets.

You can use the oil pan if you wish. I prefer not to so I mount a piece of angle iron to the balancer using balancer pulley bolts, and then use it as a jacking point (car in gear)

Old 10-24-2012, 10:33 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I ended up using a floor jack with some plywood on the pan and that worked out great. I was surprised it did not take that long to deal with.

It looks like the manufacture of the aluminum water pump did not put any O rings or thread sealer on the back plate screws and water was seeping from around the screws. I took the plate off and the large O ring looked great so I put some liquid tread sealer on all of the screws and put it all back together. Will wait until tomorrow to put water back in and see if it worked. If not another pump will be here tomorrow as a backup.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Use all new gaskets again between the front cross-mount and the block, and between the cross-mount and the new water pump. Gasket sealer on all sides. You don't want to do it over again. Ask me how I know!
John F
Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by C1-Curt
Thanks, I ended up using a floor jack with some plywood on the pan and that worked out great. I was surprised it did not take that long to deal with.

It looks like the manufacture of the aluminum water pump did not put any O rings or thread sealer on the back plate screws and water was seeping from around the screws. I took the plate off and the large O ring looked great so I put some liquid tread sealer on all of the screws and put it all back together. Will wait until tomorrow to put water back in and see if it worked. If not another pump will be here tomorrow as a backup.
I'm guessing that you also changed the gaskets between the plate and the block?
If not, almost guaranteed that you'll end up with a leak on one or both sides when the pressure gets up. If you blowout one, it'll **** like a race horse at full temp, ask me how I know...
Do a search and you'll find a bunch of useful info and a couple of tricks to change these so you don't get leaks down the road, they can be very fussy.

Paul
Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 AM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...cial-tips.html
Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Redbird
Use all new gaskets again between the front cross-mount and the block, and between the cross-mount and the new water pump. Gasket sealer on all sides. You don't want to do it over again. Ask me how I know!
John F
John,
You can ask me how I know now too

I read this post after put everything back together so I figured I would let it go. When I installed the 1st set of gaskets I think I only put RTV on one side of the gasket and on set was well attached to the water pump and one set to the engine mount so in it went with some additional RTV.

Everything worked great until I got about 12 miles on the car and the pump side drivers blew and bow did it push some steam. Fortunately I was test driving it around my neighborhood and it blew right as I was coming up my driveway so I got it in the garage without incident or a tow.

I did notice two of my pump bolts were not as snug as before so I should have re-torqued them after I ran it a bit.

I did use the idea to install two studs in the top to hang everything and that worked out great this time. I know the last time the parts were all over the place so that could have also helped produce my poor results.

I am now an expert water pump changer (I prefer not to have that title)
Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 PM
C1-Curt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
I'm guessing that you also changed the gaskets between the plate and the block?
If not, almost guaranteed that you'll end up with a leak on one or both sides when the pressure gets up. If you blowout one, it'll **** like a race horse at full temp, ask me how I know...
Do a search and you'll find a bunch of useful info and a couple of tricks to change these so you don't get leaks down the road, they can be very fussy.

Paul
You were not kidding, it did **** like a race horse!

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 C1 Water Pump Replacement

Quick Reply: 1960 C1 Water Pump Replacement