C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Changing water pump in my '62; special tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Changing water pump in my '62; special tips?

Hi,
I see traces of antifreeze around the weep hole, so I figure time to get it rebuilt...
I plan to support the block from underneath, any other special tricks or tips to replacing the pump?

Thanks,
Paul

PS I do have the ST-12 on order with Paragon, but still not here yet.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:54 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Check both sides of the engine mount bracket carefully for pits or corrosion damage at the pump leg locations; it won't seal there if it's badly pitted.

Use a film of RTV or gasket sealer on both sides of both gaskets on each side (you need four gaskets, not two). To assemble the "sandwich" of parts without smearing off the sealer, get a couple of 3/8"-16 studs, put one in each top water pump bolt hole in the block, and install the gaskets, motormount bracket, gaskets, and pump on the studs; then install the bottom two bolts, remove the studs, and install the top two bolts. Use thread sealer on all the bolts - they go into the water jacket and will leak through the threads if they're not sealed.

Don't jack under the pan to support the engine; make a "saddle" out of wood scraps that will support it on the pan rails. The base is a 2x6, and the sides are 1x6, tall enough to provide 1" clearance between the bottom of the pan and the base of the saddle.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the tip on the saddle John. I had also done a search and had found your post on installation of the mounting bracket, more good advise.

Paul
Old 03-31-2007, 11:28 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Good time to clean up your fan shroud and or repaint it in black satin.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing water pump in my '62; special tips?

Quick Reply: Changing water pump in my '62; special tips?