C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 coupe survivor

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipermike
I am looking to buy one of those $35K low mileage, one owner '63 Corvettes. If you see one for sale please let me know.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

well...
To be fair, we have not seen pictures of the car, nor do we know the condition - save for the OP's description...
Everybody always says "depends on the frame & birdcage", so I think condition is the wild card here.

Since $35K seems too low to guess on a car that none of us has seen, I'll take the over and say $150K.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Revfan
and yet....
Mike T's 63 Silver SWC has been sitting in the For Sale forum here for almost 5 months at $58K - and its a beaut!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1s-...327-300hp.html
I know - I missed Mike T's 340HP 4-spd number matching SWC last year by twenty minutes. A Scandinavian gent bought at the NCRS Regionals before things had even got going.

The car was white (which didn't excite me a whole lot) and had sat unsold on the forum for months. I can't explain it either but I think its the venue not the car.

Mike T's beautiful current SWC is an NOM which turns many away I think; unless it is a steal.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

You need to find a different research lab - J65 did NOT come with finned drums, especially at a price of $37.70.

Originally Posted by dazvet
Have been researching this "big brake" thing and ran across the "Corvette Restoration Guide" by Richard Newton.

He covered the J65 option and cleared up some misconceptions, in my mind at least.

Quote:

"Sintered Metallic Brakes:
The J65 Option

The J65 brake option, offered from 1963 and 1964, consisted of metalic brake linings with finned brake drums. The backing plates were nonvented, or solid."

He goes on to say:

You could not, though , order the J65 sintered metallic brakes with the Z06 option package. The Z06 option was strictly for racing."

"The brake shoes in the J65 package were 11.75 long as opposed to the 11-inch length of the standard brake shoe"

There's more to it but generally speaking it sounds like the regular J65 brake option was a street package with metalic brake lining and the Z06 option had cerametalix brake lining, along with other racing refinements, such as the vented backing plates, not included in the street package. But both had finned drums.

Anyway, I thought this was very interesting and wanted to share my findings.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by dazvet
Hi, I've located a 63 coupe, 340 HP, big brake option, 4 speed. It's a one owner with 52K original miles. Black paint is decent with the normal amount of cracking in the lacquer, interior is nice. the car is what you would expect from an original car of this age. As you can imagine there are not many similar cars out there to compare prices with. Any C-2 guru's out there that have a rough idea what this car is realistically worth.
I chuckle when I read these posts. Someone finds a needle in a haystack (assuming it can be bought, and not rusty like swiss cheese), there are no photos, and they are spending time posting on the CF about the value. If I found this car, and it could be bought, and was not swiss cheese, I would not be here talking to you all on the forum. Instead, I would be be sitting with the original owner, making a deal. The "value" of the car is the sweet spot where my budget, and his best price meet. If his best price is not low enough to meet my budget, then I cannot buy, no matter what anyone on the CF says the car may be worth. One thing I know, the car described above is worth a lot of coin. (if it is not swiss cheese). If I had a shot at it, and had the money to make the seller happy, it would be mine.

Frankie- after nearly four years on this forum, my juices have slowed to a trickle over posts like this one. Real people who find cars like this one that can be bought buy first, and write later.

"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." Tuco, The good, the bad, and the ugly. 1966

Last edited by 65hihp; 10-18-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Mike T's beautiful current SWC is an NOM which turns many away I think; unless it is a steal
There is a big difference in value between a NOM and a car that has it's "born with" engine.

Someplace between the two, is the value of a numbers matching, "restoration" (restamped) engine
Old 10-18-2012, 12:25 PM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipermike
I am looking to buy one of those $35K low mileage, one owner '63 Corvettes. If you see one for sale please let me know.
Oh and can it please be a factory black car (worth its weight in gold) and no hit body!

It doesn't matter whats its worth being a 1 owner 63, factory black, original drive train, no hit body, etc, etc. With all these once in a life time variables the more important question is "what does it take to buy the car". Then you work with that first.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by RYanulis
There is a big difference in value between a NOM and a car that has it's "born with" engine.

Someplace between the two, is the value of a numbers matching, "restoration" (restamped) engine
Uh...I think that's what I said.

65hip: I'm with you pal. You find a car like that you don't dick around for 3-4 days mulling 2 dozen opinions on its value. You either go look at it...or get a pro to go look at it and get the cash/financing together.

Not to disparage anyone but I wonder if these stories aren't posted just to get everyone's juices flowing. The OP has been a forum member longer than I have so he may be on to something and I think he should pretty well know ballpark numbers for this rare car.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

True... all of that (Frank and 65hihp)

If his best price is not low enough to meet my budget, then I cannot buy, no matter what anyone on the CF says the car may be worth.
I say figure out what HE can spend on it, and make that his offer.

If it isn't good enough, then step aside and let some other hopeful get a crack at it.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 PM
HHZ06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to Mike T. I bought a 63 (Oct 62) 327 300 Blk/Blk 63k mile car for $43K about 3 years ago. It has PG/PB/PW and it has been gone through with tender care. She is a rare combo, a beauty and will probably be with me for a while.

10 months ago I bought a 64 Survivor with 39k miles, its a roadster and love the car for its originality.

If the OP does not want the car, I would comfortably offer the gentleman selling the car $45-50K all day long and keep it as a survivor and drive it with all its splendor.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I think $35K-$40K is somebody's pipe dream. I looked for an SWC driver for 6 months locally and all I ran across was ragged-out, butchered up junk and the price tags were from $58K-$63K from both private parties and dealers. The one I was interested in at a Sarasota dealer was bought by a passer by as it was being unloaded off the trailer for $125K. I arrived as the deal was closing.

This is prob the most iconic C2 in the minds of the public and commands a premium in that regard. You start adding big brakes or the 340HP motor in to the mix and the price adjusts upward accordingly.
I would like to agree with you but I bought a 63 SWC with two engines, numbers matching, and a 383 412hp with all the original parts to restore back to original except for 3 items which I have procured. Cost was $40K and that was last September.

Black on Black is worth more then the other colors, but this car does not have a second engine. So still think $40-45K with papers. However I would not sell my 340HP for $40-45K so not sure what the present owner would want. I know 63SWCs prices have risen over the last year as they reach their 50th Anniversary but, not as fast as some think. So what I am describing to this fellow is " a deal he should not walk away from, if he can get it for $40-45K, after that, what he pays or what the seller is asking, can be a huge difference from that. I believe that is what he is asking on this forum. No one wants to know what the top dollar is for a vehicle. Everyone wants to know what a good basis to start an offer at, is! If the fellow that owns the car has said, "Make me an offer", would you insult him with $35 and lose the sale, or go big at $85K? Seems to me if he starts at $40K he is not offering an insult and may likely get a better feel for what the guy wants. The fact he is asking, tells me he has not dealt with Corvettes before, the owner must know that so, a $40K offer may not be taken as an insult.

The most valuable part of this car is its black on black 340HP, mine is Daytona Blue
Attached Images  

Last edited by TC233; 10-18-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:01 PM
dazvet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to some of you for the informative input as to the rest - well lets just say that when a donkey kicks consider the source.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:56 PM
tcsracing1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you would want 50k on you for sure..... depending on the orginality and condition it could fetch as high as 75k in its present state.

Fully restored it is anybodies guess because it would be second owner, no longer original and depends on who restored it....

Quick Reply: 63 coupe survivor