C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A challenging measurment

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Default A challenging measurment

For anyone that questions their hood clearance for manifold / carburetor. /air filter configuration...... (Small block W/ flat hood). I wonder if someone could take this measurement?. Anyone able to measure the the distance between top of the block or (Bottom of intake manifold front ledge) to the top middle of the hood (When its closed )....... ???????
Old 02-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 65 with stock hood, 383 stroker motor, Edelbrock RPM airgap, Holley street avenger 770cfm carb, and a custom air cleaner with a 3" drop base and 3" filter. It fits but only by 1/4" or so.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

I'm thinking it about 11 inches. It would seem easiest to do from underneath with a metal tape measure & flashlight. Some manifold manufactures list their manifolds height on front & rear. But a base line measurement like this would be nice to know.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:52 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

I don't know the measurement you're asking, but I can suggest a technique for measuring the gap. When I needed the distance between the top of the carburetor and bottom of the hood, I took a sheet of aluminum foil and crumpled it into a ball about twice as big as gap to be measured. I then put the ball on the carb and gently closed the hood. When I lifted the hood and carefully removed the ball, the impressions of the carb and hood were clearly visible. It was easy to measure the distance between the impressions on the ball of foil.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:46 PM
toms silver 60
Melting Slicks

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Play doh works great once you get everything together to check trial clearances. About $2 and reuseable.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:10 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Stingxray
I'm thinking it about 11 inches. It would seem easiest to do from underneath with a metal tape measure & flashlight. Some manifold manufactures list their manifolds height on front & rear. But a base line measurement like this would be nice to know.
My Steering column is out of the car. When it's back in. I will put it on the lift and measure it. A few weeks.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Default More than a challange

Thanks 1sttexan ...I'll be waiting :

Kensmith: On your car you have 1/4 inch clearance between the top of your hood and the air cleaner ? So holding a stright edge on top the air cleaner lid out over the front of the block / intake manifold interface area .....what is the Measurment (In Inches) from the top of the block (Front china wall if you will) to the stright edge ? Anyone See where I going with this?

PS: My car is off the frame ....So it's quite impossable for me to measure .......Sorry..... I did not include that detail.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingxray
Thanks 1sttexan ...I'll be waiting :

Kensmith: On your car you have 1/4 inch clearance between the top of your hood and the air cleaner ? So holding a stright edge on top the air cleaner lid out over the front of the block / intake manifold interface area .....what is the Measurment (In Inches) from the top of the block (Front china wall if you will) to the stright edge ? Anyone See where I going with this?

PS: My car is off the frame ....So it's quite impossable for me to measure .......Sorry..... I did not include that detail.
My air cleaner is a custom made with a 2" drop base and bubble lid. It won't help you unless you are going to use the same air cleaner.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Stingxray
Drifting

Ken Can you take a yard stick ...place it across the top of your air filter towards the front of the motor ....and with a metal retractable tape measure..take the reading between The front lip of the intake (under your Fuel filter in the Photo where the block and Manifold meet) measure to the bottom of the yard stick?" I just need a general number. Thanks GRA3
Old 03-14-2010, 02:41 PM
vettewine
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hood clearance

Modeling clay works well for measuring the clearance under the hood with it closed. It's cheaper than Play-Doh and available at any craft store in small sticks.

Another thing to remember is new engine mounts will raise your engine significantly in the engine bay and will decrease the hood to air cleaner clearance.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:03 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by vettewine
Modeling clay works well for measuring the clearance under the hood with it closed. It's cheaper than Play-Doh and available at any craft store in small sticks.
A couple of loose ***** of aluminum foil work fine, and cost even less.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:05 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

What stingxray is trying so hard to ask and what no one seems to be perceiving is this: What is the distance from the top of Ken Smith's air cleaner down to the top of the block?

His suggested method is to lay a yard stick on top of the air cleaner and then measure the distance from the bottom edge of the stick down to the block.

Stingxray, how'd I do?

Jim
Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 PM
White Monster
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

But what is he trying to achieve or problem to solve with this measurement ?

Knowing what the final reason is, may help with alternative measurements or solutions to the problem.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:12 PM
vettewine
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hood clearance...

Maybe he should just cut a hole in the hood and then the measurements could be ascertained directly...!

Hey, I was only kidding...

Last edited by vettewine; 03-15-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: misspelling!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:24 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by White Monster
But what is he trying to achieve or problem to solve with this measurement ?
Seems to me he just wants to know how much room he has for an induction system. Perhaps he is considering a non-stock configuration and he'd like to know if it will fit before he drops the body back on the frame.

Jim
Old 03-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Thanks for the Assist Jim. You understand . It seemed like a simple request??? ...

Anyway ..........So we all know there's only so much room under the C2 flat hood's 63-67. My original Rochester FI was 10.75 inches tall in front (Block to top). With this new Hilborn set up, I had 2 billet air cleaner frames made. K&N makes a 1.5 or a 2 inch thick filter to fit them (Oval). 1.5 will give me 9.5 inches height in front , but these filters have a much wider stance than the Rochester. Hence the asking of the original question..... 1 1/2" or can I get away with 2" ?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-decision.html

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?Prod=E-2859

Last edited by Stingxray; 03-15-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:55 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

10-12 years ago I put a loop of crushed aluminum foil on the air cleaner, then bent a metal bar to be a tool to indicate the inner surface. Since then I've changed the height of the air cleaner several times and used the tool to keep the LH (lift) side air cleaner edge a half inch from the BB hood - in case of engine mount failure (which has happened twice in 20 years).

You can do the same by putting a box/fixture atop any block to measure the distance to the hood surface - which varies according to the height that the body that is shimmed off the frame, and the mounts used, and if factory mount shims are in use.

Last edited by magicv8; 03-15-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A challenging measurment

Quick Reply: A challenging measurment