C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Your thoughts on this 65?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 02:01 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Your thoughts on this 65?

hello

A friend is wanting to enter the vintage Corvette world. Story we've heard before........ his Dad always wanted one but never got it so that flame passed down the line.

I have been trying to help him. We found this car at Corvette Mikes.

http://www.corvettemike.com/showroom/?cf=1307

The sales rep said "Yes, this is a 4-spd. According to the casting # the motor is a ’72 Corvette 350 that’s been modified to put out 350+ hp. This is a factory Red/Red car and it’s on the Trim Tag. The K.O.’s are reproductions and the side exhaust has been added. This car has always been in a dry western climate and there is no evidence of rust; the frame is in excellent condition"

At first I thought it was the Mid-America guy but now realize it isnt so I know nothing about this dealer.

Would appreciate any thoughts on the car and also on Corvette Mike as a vendor.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

At least the dealer isn't passing this off as a 'guaranteed' big block...one point in his favor....

I'd keep an eye out here on the forum first and foremost...here is a nice '65 that recenty sold for reasonable money: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1s-...dster-42k.html. Folks here tend to have a reputation to maintain and know vettes in general and their own cars in particular.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:31 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

This car is very much like mine. The color combo is good. If it was really a 396 car that is a big plus. Something doesn't look right to me about the way the hood fits but you can't always tell everything from pictures. The other gaps look good. I would say 41,900 seems like a fair price. Don't forget this is only a starting price. I personally have not done business with Corvette Mike but I know people that have and have not heard anything bad. I believe he is out of Florida. I would think it is worth looking into.

JMO.
Larry
Old 08-08-2009, 03:14 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,575 Likes on 2,166 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I know Corvette Mike Milian out of the Plymouth, Mass branch and have met Corvette Mike Vietro from the California "Corvette Mike". I have also purchased a couple of cars from Mike in Mass. Class act and a straight shooter and they stand behind their cars if there is a problem. As with most dealers, the prices are a little on the high side but they are running a car business and have to stand behind the cars.

As for the car you're looking at: it looks nice in pics, but as for it being an original 396, it is what it is: a NOM small block. That isn't such a bad thing as long as you don't pay a premium for the possibility of it maybe starting life as a 396/425.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:02 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I find it odd that a dealership that specializes in Corvettes can't tell whether it was a BB car or not.

Jim
Old 08-08-2009, 04:16 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it was originally a 396/425 wouldn't the battery be located on the drivers side of the car?

The front end of that car is a mess.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:22 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
I find it odd that a dealership that specializes in Corvettes can't tell whether it was a BB car or not.

Jim
By looks of the pic,s 41,900.00 is a good price for the car. I would say its not a true big bock car or the owner would know that from the vin tags. Plus be asking more for the car even with the small block in it. Still looks like a good price.....
Old 08-08-2009, 04:37 PM
clarkakirby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell your friend that many Corvette owners would be offended by the car showing 396 flags and hood but the "wrong" engine.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like a nice driver as long as the frame and birdcage are good. Interior also looks nice.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:22 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the comments guys.

David........"front end is a mess"

I looked again and I see that the hood seems to sit a bit high and the grill seems a tad high as well......... is that what you are referring to?

I was going to ask the seller for a compression test and a serious look at the birdcage, (pull off a few interior panels if required) and frame and of course a full functional check.

Anything else I should be asking?

Thanks for the comments so far.........very much appreciated.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:38 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,638 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Hard to tell on the front end but it doesn't look like a mess to me (it may be one underneath the paint - who knows). Looks like a wide angle lense was used on the shot so there is some distortion. Some offset at the hood and alighnment issues with the headlights were standard GM fare. There was a car posted on here a few years ago by someone who was negotiating to buy it. It was all crooked across the front and nothing lined up - it was truely a mess. The seller fixed it, matched the paint and made it look very nice before he bought it.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake

Jim
Old 08-08-2009, 06:03 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 66L72
Thanks for the comments guys.

David........"front end is a mess"

I looked again and I see that the hood seems to sit a bit high and the grill seems a tad high as well......... is that what you are referring to?

I was going to ask the seller for a compression test and a serious look at the birdcage, (pull off a few interior panels if required) and frame and of course a full functional check.

Anything else I should be asking?

Thanks for the comments so far.........very much appreciated.
Could be just the photo as Dan has stated in his post, however, the grille doesn't seem to be parallel with the front surround, right bumper is crooked, headlight buckets fit poorly and as you say, the hood sits a little high. Probably not serious things to fix, or a deterrent to buying the car, just a red flag noting to look for possible causes of the misalignments. Good looking Vette for the money, but I would have to see it before making any decision to buy it.

Dave

Old 08-09-2009, 02:50 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

just looking at the hood grills on that picture you attached tells me that is an extreme wide angle shot......... may be distorting the whole front end........... all the same the gaps are too big between grill and lower fiberglass.........maybe a repro front end.....
thanks again for taking the time to look......... i have more questions to ask............ but i still like the car
Old 08-09-2009, 06:42 AM
vetzs
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I've bought from Mike in the past, and I would not hesitate to do business with him again. Saying that, I will also say it is up to the buyer to know what he's looking at.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,892 Likes on 797 Posts

Looks like a pretty good car and buy to me....at least from the pics....the red on red is nice. So its not the original motor.....are you going to do NCRS? If not, who cares as long as the car is a good one, you know what you are buying and the price is right. I have never seen Corvette Mike being slammed like I have seen the other biggie dealer from Ohio. Give it a shot.....but drive it and look it over good before hand......and if you get it, enjoy!!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fdreano
At least the dealer isn't passing this off as a 'guaranteed' big block...one point in his favor....

I'd keep an eye out here on the forum first and foremost...here is a nice '65 that recenty sold for reasonable money: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1s-...dster-42k.html. Folks here tend to have a reputation to maintain and know vettes in general and their own cars in particular.
I'd like to get a car from a forum member. We almost bit on the blue automatic 66 coupe ......... I think its a hell of a deal but the buyer for sure wants a 4 speed coupe.......... preferably in red.

Get notified of new replies

To Your thoughts on this 65?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:08 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Default Red/Red SWC

Originally Posted by 66L72
I'd like to get a car from a forum member. We almost bit on the blue automatic 66 coupe ......... I think its a hell of a deal but the buyer for sure wants a 4 speed coupe.......... preferably in red.
Forum Member, Red/Red, 4spd. Coupe===>LINKY
Old 08-10-2009, 01:47 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks

I saw this car. It seems very nice, but is a little over what he wanted to spend. Seems like a nice clean car. We were trying to find something in the west as my buddy lives in Vancouver.

Anybody have a ballpark idea what it would cost to ship a car from Washington to Washington?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 AM
GDD
Instructor

I know Corvette Mike and he is a straight shooter. He often gets cars in on consignment and may not have all of the information initially but does follow through. I was close on a 57 fuelie (consigned car) but couldn't work out the $$. Mike really tried hard Nothing against his "sales" guys but try to deal directly with "Corvette" Mike Vietro.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on this 65?