C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

least restrictive insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 07:12 PM
cramus
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

Default least restrictive insurance.

I will be getting my 64 out of storage soon and I want to switch insurance companies. Farmer Insurance is way to restrictive, shows and parades is about all they allow. I checked with Haggerties, on line and they seem pretty restrictive also. I would like to be able to drive it to the golf course, out to eat or maybe even a weekend trip were it might not be garaged for a night. I don't want to be worried my insurance company is going to say "tough luck" If it happened to get damaged or stolen. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I will make sure I get agreed value coverage. I did a search but only found a couple of posts.
Thanks
Craig
Old 04-08-2007, 07:33 PM
60vettesdr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default least restrictive insurance

Craig,

I have my 1960 insured with Cincinnati Insurance and there are no restrictions what so ever on usage or storage. In addition when I had a claim due to an electrical fire last year they covered everything without any questions. They aren't the cheapest but they have done great by me. Good luck with your seach.

Scott
Old 04-08-2007, 07:33 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have my 67 Coupe insured with Hagerty. There are no mileage restrictions or restrictions as far as where I drive it. The only thing they are specific about is using it for your daily driver going to work. I have called them about a trip I am planning the summer of 2008 (driving route 66 to CA with the 63-67 Sting Ray Registry members). Their comment was have a good time and be safe. A trip like this comes under the heading of club events and club tours.
Roy
Old 04-08-2007, 08:14 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

State Farm
Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Take a look at Shelter Insurance, agreed amount and no restrictions.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Silver '65
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine just added as a second car on my regular policy with American National.

$250/year, with 50/100 coverage. Agreed value, based upon an appraiser's determination.

The only restrictions are that i have to keep it in a locked garage, and I can only put 4700 miles on it per year (about 250 miles a week, which I don't do). They've never even checked mileage with me.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:49 PM
bsultanof
Cruising

I agree with 67-427ci. I saw an interview with a member of the Hagerty family and and he said the company knows people want to enjoy their toy and he said Hagerty allows you to drive your car every day as long as you don't drive it to or for work. You must have another car as a daily driver.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:55 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cramus
I would like to be able to drive it to the golf course, out to eat or maybe even a weekend trip were it might not be garaged for a night.
only found a couple of posts?

well, the name of the company is HAGERTY so that might account for the lack of hit in your search (perhaps you didn't tick the "archives" box?)

anyway, that use you describe is well within Hagerty's permitted use. You will need to have a daily driver (not the corvette) for each licensed driver in the household, and you will need to be over 25. And, while you are allowed to sleep over at a motel or your gal's house with the car, you will need to have a lockable garage at your residence.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Redvetter64
Cruising

I've been in the insurance claims business for almost 30 years and my 1964 is insured with State Farm and no, I don't work for State Farm. Their policy is Actual Cash Value which on a total loss is market value. A loss less than a total loss is handled like any other car. If it has to be completely repainted, the cost of the paint job will be depreciated based upon the condition of the paint. Any company will do the same.
I had a 1964 El Camino that my brother borrowed and totaled out for me. It was insured with American National under their Chrome policy. The claim was a nightmare and I know what I'm doing. It was finally resolved with the help of the State Board of Insurance not only because I was right, but because I personally knew the director at the Board that handles complaints. American National's claims staff is, let's say, less than adequate.
If you ever have a problem with any insurance company on a claim, read the "Appraisal" provision of your policy. It works.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:21 PM
guycummins
Instructor

Haggerty - Haggert - Haggerty
Old 04-08-2007, 10:21 PM
guycummins
Instructor

Haggerty - Haggerty - Haggerty
Old 04-08-2007, 10:55 PM
fuelie65
Instructor

I have 3 "classic" cars and they are all with hagerty...no issues at all !
Old 04-09-2007, 12:00 AM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hagerty also. Whatever insurance company you decide on, make sure you have an "agreed value" for the car. If not, you are at their mercy if it's totaled. Similar thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1656323
Old 04-09-2007, 12:12 AM
daddyboats
Instructor

Two Vettes with Hagerty......they have my vote!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:13 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Redvetter64
I've been in the insurance claims business for almost 30 years and my 1964 is insured with State Farm and no, I don't work for State Farm. Their policy is Actual Cash Value which on a total loss is market value. A loss less than a total loss is handled like any other car. If it has to be completely repainted, the cost of the paint job will be depreciated based upon the condition of the paint. Any company will do the same.
I had a 1964 El Camino that my brother borrowed and totaled out for me. It was insured with American National under their Chrome policy. The claim was a nightmare and I know what I'm doing. It was finally resolved with the help of the State Board of Insurance not only because I was right, but because I personally knew the director at the Board that handles complaints. American National's claims staff is, let's say, less than adequate.
If you ever have a problem with any insurance company on a claim, read the "Appraisal" provision of your policy. It works.
How does a less then total loss, such as a paint job work on the "agreed Value" policies? How does State Farm determine the condition of the paint after the fact? I'm confused, surely they don't depreciate the paint on a 1964 Vette based on it being 43 years old. It could have been painted last week, by the owner, who knows how to paint, or by one that dosen't know how to paint, or painted at a cost of $10,000 five years ago and never taken out of the garage or driven by someone who dosen't care and has a really banged up paint job. Or it might have been painted by a chain shop for $500. If the car is wrecked, but not totaled, how does State Farm determine how much to pay to fix a broken fender. If they conclude the car has been, say 50% depreciated because of it's age, do they only pay for 50% of the repair cost? On a car like a 1964 Vette, how do they determine how much to depreciate it?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:32 AM
rubbinisracing
Intermediate

Hagerty ......and here's why.

My 16 year old son's car was in the shop and he needed something to drive to school so I let him drive my 38 Chevy Streetrod to school for 2 days. On the second day 3 girls asked for a ride home from school and of course he couldn't say no. The car had 2 front seats and some space behind them. So against my rules and the law he gives the girls a ride and decides its time to show off as they pull out of a gas station. He over accelarates and looses control and hits an SUV and flips that vehicle over. Thankfully nobody is hurt except for some cuts and bruises. I had only gotten the policy from Hagerty about 3 months before and wondered how this was going to play out. My car was insured for 40K, they SUV he hit was totaled for around 25K, there was about $1500 in doctors bills and $500 in towing. Hagerty paid me $40K, the other guy got $25K and everyone was reimbursed for medical and towing. They took my statement once, never spoke with my son, called and got the police report and wrote all the checks within 10 days. They didn't cancel me and have told me that any liscensed driver that I allow to drive is covered in my car. All this for a $400 yealy premium.

If you can find a more responsive and better rated Insurance company then buy it! But you will still wonder till the day you have a claim how they are going to come through.

Been there, done that!

Hagerty all the way!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:57 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

I use American Hobbyist Insurance. You must have a garage that locks when you store the car at your home and you cannot drive to work. Other than that it is pretty open and very inexpensive. I have 300/500/500K with 250- ded , towing, rental cars , uninsured motorist, everything... 66 Mustang 123 per year , 64 vette 230 per year all based on agreed value..

Get notified of new replies

To least restrictive insurance.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rubbinisracing
My 16 year old son's..... I let him drive my 38 Chevy Streetrod to school for 2 days........ So against my rules and the law ..... its time to show off as they pull out of a gas station. He over accelarates and looses control and hits an SUV and flips that vehicle over.
Owwww. I remember being 16, and I can imagine what price I would have paid for a stunt like that. Various forms of restriction for some prolonged periods of time come to mind, in addition to having to help pay for the deductible.

Doug
Old 04-09-2007, 06:32 AM
covett
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with Redvetter64 State farm. my agent comes out every 2 or 3 years takes a few photos asks a few questions and that's it.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:10 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Redvetter64

well, I ain't gonna argue with the reasoning of one who has been in the insurance business for 30 years; if you think ACV is superior or "just as good as" Agreed Value (from the policyholder's perspective) you are entitled to that view. I do note that you have had personal experience with getting proper recovery from an insurer for a claim you had; I'd suggest you'd be right there again if you had a total loss to that 64 that is currently insured on an ACV basis with SF. Those with an Agreed Value policy would simply tell their insurer where to send the check, in that total agreed amount.

Quick Reply: least restrictive insurance.