C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

driver insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
xsray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default driver insurance?

Does anybody have their car insured so you can drive everyday unrestricted as opposed to the collector car insurance?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Jack60
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

That's why I have Street Rod tags......
Old 03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
xsray
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I asked for that!
I would like to insure my Corvette so that I can drive it everyday. Will you please give me information on which insurance company you use for daily unrestricted driving?
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:54 AM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

xsray,

YUP! Haggerty coverage allows me to drive her any day. They do frown on you taking her back and forth to work...as a daily driver, principal means of transportation.

Jim
Old 03-22-2007, 10:56 AM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the same insurance company for my newer daily drivers as I do for my four vintage cars. Your agent will appreciate the additional business.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:06 AM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yup, same sort of deal as 6T5RUSH only with Farmers Insurance Group.

No danger of me driving back and forth to work, no job, retired.

Like CaveCreekChump stated if you have all your insurance with one company your agent will get creative.

State Farm was my previous insurance but after a rash of claims on my part they wanted to drop the Vet. I had been with them for 20+ years. Agent was sad when I dropped all my policys (house & 4 cars) and went to Farmers.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:10 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be concerned about the value using a regular insurance company. With Haggerty I have agreed value, something real bad happens I know what I will get. Do the standard insurance companies understand collector car market or will they pay based on used car rates? A 40 year old car would pay basically nothing.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:16 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bweaver999
I would be concerned about the value using a regular insurance company. With Haggerty I have agreed value, something real bad happens I know what I will get. Do the standard insurance companies understand collector car market or will they pay based on used car rates? A 40 year old car would pay basically nothing.
Depends on how good your agent is.

I rate insurance agents; one step above used car salesmen or three above lawyers.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:29 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

As just stated, it is of utmost importance to have an agreed value in case of the worst thing that might happen. Anyone using their normal car carrier might want to carefully read the policy as many people have been burned on this in the past. Camaro.net has had some excellent threads concerning this subject and it might be worthwhile but again, be weary using your everyday carrier as agreed values are not the norm.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:13 AM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Autoclub will cover classic cars as part of their regular policy, witha a stated replacement value, which is what I have always done...they did just come out with a special policy for classic cars and it sounds pretty good, no limits on driving from what I could tell from the brochure.

Darren
Old 03-24-2007, 07:27 AM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Go with Hagerty,i have all our vettes with them easy to deal with.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

One thing to keep in mind is some insurance is based on the type of tags used. It is that way in Maryland. Then the type of tag may dictate if vehicle inspection is required. We all want them safe but I do have front bumpers. Won't pass MD state inspection for a standard tag. Historic tags don't require state inspection. With historic tags I can get a reduction in insurance rate. So Historic tags and matching insurance through my regular insurance, State Farm. I also have an agreed value.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:51 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
I use the same insurance company for my newer daily drivers as I do for my four vintage cars. Your agent will appreciate the additional business.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:15 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by macdarren
The Autoclub will cover classic cars as part of their regular policy, witha a stated replacement value, which is what I have always done...they did just come out with a special policy for classic cars and it sounds pretty good, no limits on driving from what I could tell from the brochure.

Darren
BIG difference between "stated" and "agreed" value coverage; stated value does NOTHING for you as the insured - it just "caps" the amount the insurer is obligated to pay, and it's still left to them to determine what the "actual cash value" or "replacement value" is based on their depreciation formulas, Kelley book values, etc. "Stated value" coverage is no different than the standard auto policy on your daily drivers.

If you have a classic car and don't have AGREED value coverage, you're under-insured, and are completely at the mercy of the insurer in terms of what they'll pay you for a total loss.

Get notified of new replies

To driver insurance?

Quick Reply: driver insurance?