Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

how much to offer ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Rutgersfan1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much to offer ?

Wtb my first vette...local seller w/ blue 66 roadster. only option is the radio (is that even an option ?). Plain wheels, no AC, no side pipes, no nothing. 327/300 4 speed. Everything said to be original except carb.

Car is unrestored. body, interior and engine compartment show dirt and age expected in an unrestored 40 y.o. car.

It's a driver, though maybe not a "nice driver" (ok maybe I'm splitting hairs). multiple obvious scratches in paint. not sure if original paint but it might be.

value ?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Need Photos

Neil,

Really tough to put a value based on what you have given us here. It's difficult enough to make a determination of its value even when photos are provided. Since the Vette is local to you, try to get some decent photos and post them.

If it is really an unmolested 66 that is fairly presentable with a little work, it could be worth a little more than just a driver. What you have to be careful of is frame and birdcage rust which would significantly devalue the car. see link to sticky.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Rutgersfan1
Intermediate

Default --

to be totally honest, I'm afraid that by posting pics someone in my area may recognize the car, contact the seller and make a higher offer than me...most here may be totally trustworthy but all it takes is one person and I'll have to wait even longer for my first vette...or maybe I'm being paranoid.

As I posted in the General section (red flag), the seller says there's a patch (I think that's what he called it) welded to the frame behind a door to strengthen a rusted spot there.

Is it necessary to get underneath the car because the seller doesn't have access to a lift, ramps, etc. ?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:06 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rutgersfan1
to be totally honest, I'm afraid that by posting pics someone in my area may recognize the car, contact the seller and make a higher offer than me...most here may be totally trustworthy but all it takes is one person and I'll have to wait even longer for my first vette...or maybe I'm being paranoid.

As I posted in the General section (red flag), the seller says there's a patch (I think that's what he called it) welded to the frame behind a door to strengthen a rusted spot there.

Is it necessary to get underneath the car because the seller doesn't have access to a lift, ramps, etc. ?
Have a look at this thread I just found:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...80&postcount=5; and the only correct way to repair it is to pull the body off.

There is no way in H3LL you should even consider buying any Vette without thoroughly inspecting the underside, let alone one that has a patch on the frame! If the seller doesn't have means to get you under the car, then take it somewhere you can get under it. The "patch" is more than likely just the tip of the iceberg.
Dave

Last edited by stingrayl76; 03-27-2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Repaired Link
Old 03-27-2008, 03:24 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

I would get a expert to check the car NOW that you have told us the frame has been PATCHED. Spend the extra cash, 150-250 and let them check it. You may offer 35K which may be a steal and end up with severe frame and cage rust and drop a ton more cash into it. Try to take emotion out of it ( like this is possible ) and do not rush into it. The market now with a car what you say and what info you supplied, would be between 30-50K . Its a wide range but I think Im being safe rather than sorry. I mayself would drive a car with a frame repair, but alot would not.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 AM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Good advice so far.

With so many cars out there, why buy one with a frame issue, unless of course it is taken into consideration in the price you pay for it.

Personally, I would not buy a car with a frame repair, but that's just me.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:32 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

[QUOTE=Rutgersfan1;1564732278]to be totally honest, I'm afraid that by posting pics someone in my area may recognize the car, contact the seller and make a higher offer than me...most here may be totally trustworthy but all it takes is one person and I'll have to wait even longer for my first vette...or maybe I'm being paranoid.

[QUOTE]

You need to take a step back. Once you start feeling like this car is the only Corvette in the world and if your "offer" doesn't get it, you'll never get one... is when you will buy the wrong car. Trust me on this.

Do not worry that someone will beat you to it. Unless it's that one L88 for $15000 that everyone else missed, there's another car out there. And, if it has had frame repair, there is nothing about this car that you cannot live without.

Im not saying to elimintae the car necessarily. I am saying look at the frame, the whole frame, and the body carefully and critically and do not pay a premium. The car must have a substantial deduction for frame repair. If not, walk, There's tons of cars out there.

Never, ever, ever be in a hurry or feel like a car is the last one on Earth.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Rutgersfan1
Intermediate

Default --

yes, a few of you picked up on the fact that I'm nearly obsessed with wanting a C2 and since not many are in my price range I may well use my heart rather than my head....

but then again, it's easy for all of you to say that because you own such cars.

I will be careful though...anyone know of trustworthy corvette guy near NYC who inspects them for customers ?

Last edited by Rutgersfan1; 03-27-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neil, I could take a look at the car for you if you would like? My office is in Verona. PM me if you are interested. John.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:39 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Trophy Blue
Neil, I could take a look at the car for you if you would like? My office is in Verona. PM me if you are interested. John.

There you go Neil, John is willing to help you out by offering to look at the car for you. Take him up on it, otherwise it will drive you thinking about it.

- Bruce
Old 03-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Craig01b
Advanced

When I found my 64 at the dealership, first thing we did was put it up on the hoist and start banging away at the frame....Solid, no hollow noises, one dent underneath the drivers side.....paint and corrosion was consistant thru the whole car...

Truth be known, until you lift the body off, its pretty much educated guesswork...Heart and passion play into this, but, a reality check is worth the money....Go for the reality check, its still not a guarantee, but, it eliminates a whole bunch of potential problems. I was fortunate, my buddy is an old car guy, and given our professions, we are used to looking at machinery, and making a *snap* judgement. My 64 is solid, and as I work thru it doing what I think is needed....there is always something else...these are old cars, and its an ongoing project, and should be treated like that. Oh, and in my humble opinion, a frame repair, can be better than original...if it was properly done. If it was done due to damage, better....general corrosion and deterioration means the rest is about the same, and will need attention......its all about how the car was stored....and usually, we have little information about that, unless you are paying a very premium price.

Craig
Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM
jrepoff
Pro

I am not sure I gave very good advice to a friend a couple of years ago after reading this thread.
I looked at a 61 with him and the frame had some partches in the rear sections that appeared to be done very well. It looked like who ever did the repair cut some pretty nice trim pieces to contour with the frame and welded them over what I am guessing was some rusted sections to add additional strength to the frame. It looked very clean and I banged all around and up and down the frame with a hammer and everything seemed very solid.

Did I screw up telling him to buy the car. Everything else on the car was above driver quality and the car drove well and was very strong.

Get notified of new replies

To how much to offer ?

Quick Reply: how much to offer ?