Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

c5 aux input using cd changer wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know if there is anything you need. I struggled with this for a little bit.

Yes the BLUE side goes to the radio. I assumed the black side did since it was on the top side and physically closer to the radio as a result. It's not hard after that. You cut the blue connector off, cap the silver un-coated wire. Then attach your ground and left right channel and boom.

Regarding my intermittent CD changer - for me all I did was take the cover off and wiggle a Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol on it over to the lens (which is hard to see but you can if you look from the bottom with the covers off). I rubbed the lens a little and it works perfectly now.

Cool thing is also that if I set my phone in the "cupholder" and take or make a call I can hear the person over the speakers and my phone picks up my voice perfectly so it's an awesome hands-free solution as well! I mounted my jack next to the ashtray - had to use one of those cone shaped bits to get the plastic thin enough so I could get the "nut" on the 1/8 inch stereo jack.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rielcrazy
Let me know if there is anything you need. I struggled with this for a little bit.

Yes the BLUE side goes to the radio. I assumed the black side did since it was on the top side and physically closer to the radio as a result. It's not hard after that. You cut the blue connector off, cap the silver un-coated wire. Then attach your ground and left right channel and boom.

Regarding my intermittent CD changer - for me all I did was take the cover off and wiggle a Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol on it over to the lens (which is hard to see but you can if you look from the bottom with the covers off). I rubbed the lens a little and it works perfectly now.

Cool thing is also that if I set my phone in the "cupholder" and take or make a call I can hear the person over the speakers and my phone picks up my voice perfectly so it's an awesome hands-free solution as well! I mounted my jack next to the ashtray - had to use one of those cone shaped bits to get the plastic thin enough so I could get the "nut" on the 1/8 inch stereo jack.

Ok, I may try this. But I do not have a changer in the car? Will the wire harness still be under the carpet on passenger side? And since there is no changer, can I just tap into the 3 wires that are needed for the 1/8" jack??
Thanks,
SEC5
Old 06-07-2013, 12:17 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

Is there a photo somewhere that shows where these harnesses are in the footwell? Do I pull carpet in passenger side, and I will see it? Is it close to dash? Referring to other post, will it even be there if my car does not have a changer?
SEC5
Old 06-07-2013, 12:59 AM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Originally Posted by SEC5
Is there a photo somewhere that shows where these harnesses are in the footwell? Do I pull carpet in passenger side, and I will see it? Is it close to dash? Referring to other post, will it even be there if my car does not have a changer?
SEC5
Not sure if it will be there but it definitely will NOT work without the changer in the car. The head unit comminicates with the changer and when it receives the signal from the changer will accept the audio signal. Without the changer communicating (via a dif cable bundle than the one you cut) it will not accept the sound input.

I'm certain because until I cleaned the lense in my changer it would only work sporadically and when it didn't like the disk no sound would come through.

Sorry
Old 06-07-2013, 05:40 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

Not sure if it will be there but it definitely will NOT work without the changer in the car. The head unit comminicates with the changer and when it receives the signal from the changer will accept the audio signal. Without the changer communicating (via a dif cable bundle than the one you cut) it will not accept the sound input.

I'm certain because until I cleaned the lense in my changer it would only work sporadically and when it didn't like the disk no sound would come through.

Sorry
Ok, so I DID find the harness, and it is just the blue side (male side?), anyways since there is no changer, I'm sure it is the "car" side.
So I am wondering if the communication is just the head units ability to sense a signal on those inputs, and allow the user to select "AUX" on the head unit. (I do have the AUX button, and I guess the wiring as well, just no changer). So I am wondering, with a jack tapped into that harness, with a iPod signal flowing, will the head unt not recognize that as a signal, and allow the usage of the AUX button, hence allowing the signal in and across the on board amp (through radio, out speakers)?? Just curious? Maybe I'll try it, worse that can happen is I loose a $.99 1/8 female jack!!
Let y'all know how it turns out!
SEC5
Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

Without the changer communicating (via a dif cable bundle than the one you cut) it will not accept the sound input.

Sorry

Got ya! So you don't think it's worth a try?
SEC5
Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 AM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Originally Posted by SEC5
Got ya! So you don't think it's worth a try?
SEC5
99% sure it won't work without the changer. I neglected to mention that without a cd in the changer or with the changer unplugged even with the aux hooked up it wouldn't work. Let me double check to be 100% sure. Ill unplug the changer itself in the trunk and see if it works. Give me a few hours and ill get back.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:33 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

The changer must be connected and playing a CD in order for this to work. The wiring mod simply disconnects the changer audio source and substitutes whatever you plug in, if the changer isn't playing the radio will switch off of that source.

Also, while you're listening to your aux input the radio will display the track number info for whatever CD you have running.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 PM
rielcrazy
Advanced

Yeah didn't work without changer
Old 06-08-2013, 02:00 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

Yeah didn't work without changer
Yep, y'all are correct! Just because it was so accessible, and there was only one side, I just pushed the pins for the Black, and Green wires out of the harness, and connected them to a iPod I had set up to play through the 1/8" male plug. Used a couple jumper wires and alligator clips (so nothing permanent), made sure the source (iPod) was playing a tune, checked all connections, and volume on iPod, pressed AUX button,andddd................yea, you all know the answer! NADA!!
So I guess if I want to do this on my own,I will have to make my mods inside of the head unit!

Is there anything I can do to "trick" the head unit into thinking there is a disk changer, and it's playing? Any other advice for a radio with the AUX button,but no CD changer installed in vehicle??

Thanks again for all the help, will just buy the $80 part, but would much rather do it myself if it is possible!!

Thanks Again for all the input!! (Pun Intended)
SEC5

Last edited by SEC5; 06-08-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:17 AM
wolf10851
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ok looking at the picts posted of the connector do you need to go off the plug in the foot well for the power or can you just t off of pin 5 and pin 7 to get the power? Also if you DO do that will you get a ground loop problem since it looks like pin 7 is also needed for the audio common?

never mind on the grounding issue I just noticed there are 2 black and white wires. so it looks like pin 3 is the one that I want for the audio common correct?

One last thing looking at the surface mount plug audio common would go to pin 1 audio left to pin 2 audio right to pin 5 pins 3 and 4 would not be used and the drain would not be connected at all to the connector is that correct?

Last edited by wolf10851; 06-21-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:52 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

I always thought the tip was LH, middle was RH, and base was Common. If that's what it is and I'm reading the print properly:

1 - connect both commons (radio and changer sides)
2 - radio side of RH signal
3 - changer side of RH signal
4 - changer side of LH signal
5 - radio side of LH signal

That would leave the common connected, let the changer signal pass through the 'at rest' plug, then connect the proper signals to radio only when you pushed in an aux source and the pointed pins were separated from the changer signals.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 PM
wolf10851
Racer

oh man I can be dumb lol! I bought the relay and the mini plug but the plug isn't EXACTLY like the one I pictured. The one that I bought is normally open. looking at the plug that I posted and Marks comments on the connections I just realized I don't need the relay or the switch at all! All I need to do is get the normally closed mini plug and it should work perfectly! When there is no cable in the plug the CD changer will play audio just fine. when I plug in the mp3 player it will break the connection to the CD audio wires and play the MP3 player audio instead
Old 06-22-2013, 02:09 AM
wolf10851
Racer

Mark your wiring worked PERFECTLY! Just got done wiring it all up and it works like a charm! Now I just have to finish hiding the cat 6 that I used to wire it up and mount the plug but that part is the easy part.....I hope
Old 06-22-2013, 10:23 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 PM
SEC5
Intermediate

I just did the mod by tapping into the head unit! Works like a charm!!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...post1584210019

This is for NO CD Changer!!
Thanks again for all the help!!
SEC5
Old 11-14-2015, 04:45 PM
opengl128
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mark, I cut the "drain" wire and it still does the same thing.... I get no sound at all unless I hook the black wire from that 4 wire harness into the ground on the jack as well as into the harness (so one black wire goes to radio, 1 to changer, 1 to aux). When I do that I get sound but I get changer sound! The green and brown don't even go to the changer anymore just the aux!!! help!!!! lol. I've tried a ton of configurations grounding all kinds of things with no luck..... I DO get excellent aux input sound between tracks - full sound.... i can't figure this thing out!

EDIT**** I'M AN IDIOT - I never bothered to check that i was using the wires that GO TO THE RADIO. I assumed the top of the harness went to the radio... i was wrong - The bottom goes to the radio. I used a set of headphones and checked the signal and that's how I discovered it. I hooked everything up to the correct side and it works beautifully.
THANK YOU! I had the same exact issue and assumed the wire at the top led to the stereo.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 aux input using cd changer wires

Old 02-22-2016, 08:45 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

folks, I'm reading through this thread before installing an AUX input in my 2000 FRC with 12 CD Changer and I guess I'm having some trouble following the directions.

I would like to install AUX but really would rather not take apart the radio head unit (factory) to splice in there. So I'd much prefer to tap into the unused 12 CD Changer wires.

The little bluetooth AUX unit that I'll be using came with an RCA cable which is a 1/8" Male headphone jack on one end, and on the other end, a separate red and white pigtail (RCA connectors). I have no problem snipping off the RCA red and white connectors and soldering to the appropriate wires on the CD changer harness, I just am unsure which ones would go where. It also came with a male to male headphone cable (would normally plug into a female AUX port on one end and into your phone on the other).

Can anyone offer some advice?

Forgot to mention that I don't care for using the 12CD changer. Never plan on putting CDs in it, but I understand that the car needs to see the CD changer in order to listen to the AUX input and play it.

I did buy the Radio shack 5 pin female aux port as shown here
http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-ele...ml#post6865143

Last edited by nsogiba; 02-22-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:05 PM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

I did find this thread where user rielcrazy adds an aux port in his passenger footwell using the radioshack but he doesn't mention which wires on the jack get connected to where on the car radio harness in the footwell. I can spin a wrench on just about anything, but wiring drives me nuts...
Old 02-22-2016, 09:42 PM
wolf10851
Racer

nsogiba
first off you will have to "play" a CD in order for the audio to work. I found out the hard way even if the door for the changer is slightly open this will not work and the system will show a fault.

I mounted my plug in the little D-shaped piece right in front of the center console

As for the RCA connectors I am assuming that "normally" those would connect to the car stereo is that correct? If so when you cut the RCA cables off there will be 2 wires in there ( it could be 2 totally separate wires or it could be 2 wires inside a single sheathing. This will be for each RCA connector. I hope that makes sense) The wire that goes to the outside of each RCA plug will both get soldiered to pin 1 then the wire that that goes to the center conductor on the red RCA will go to pin 2 and the wire that goes to the center pin on the white RCA will go to pin 5

I hope that all makes sense and helps. Let us know if you need any other help. Also it might be helpful if you could provide a link or wiring diagram of the bluetooth unit (just how to connect it to the radio)

Last edited by wolf10851; 02-22-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply: c5 aux input using cd changer wires