Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod/AUX input into factory radio write up for $3

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 AM
leeski
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SEC5 - I would go ahead and test 4 and 5 as others have had luck. Worst case, you pop it back out and go with 1 and 3. On my radio, I was able to plug everything in (except antenna) with it hanging out of the dash upside down, so I could actually live test the wires. May or may not do the same on yours.

Wolf - Do you have a CD player in the head unit, too? That's 1 and 3 on mine. I don't know about the cassette. I'd probably stay away from it, but I guess it's possible to have a blank tape running. The key is you've got to activate the component you're hooked up to.

I had no bleedover even when playing a regular cd as I think the mp3 jack if properly hooked up, completely disconnects the signal. I made a silent cd just in case and since it's not one to listen to anywhere else, won't "grow legs" and leave the car.

I used phone butt connectors (radio shack) to help repair the damage I did to mine. They are much easier than soldering and can give you quick feedback. A pair of real wire strippers from radio shack or a computer store (small for this area) will make life much easier.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leeski
SEC5 - I would go ahead and test 4 and 5 as others have had luck. Worst case, you pop it back out and go with 1 and 3. On my radio, I was able to plug everything in (except antenna) with it hanging out of the dash upside down, so I could actually live test the wires. May or may not do the same on yours.
Definitely will use some sort of connector, that way I can test 4&5 out without soldering it all together!!

1 more quick question.. The ground!! Should this be a speaker ground,chassis ground, or a 12v (-) ground??

I assume it is just a very good chassis ground, but if it would be less interference using a -12v ground I can go that route too!!
Thanks again, should have this wrapped up today!!!

SEC5
Old 06-13-2013, 10:19 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

So, I am working on this mod, and reading all the mixed results. I had an opinion or 2 about the mis haps from the "newer" radios..
I AM working with a newer radio, and I noticed;
First, that there is no circuit board on top, I believe it is underneath, so in the instructions when it says to put certain color on harness side, and other color on opposite. End (sorry don't remember exactly how it's worded), but on the newer radios, since the circuit board is underneath, then what you are looking at is opposite from seeing it circuit board on top, so another words, if the green wire was supposed to go closest to the harness on board, when you cut wire on newer unit, it would actually be backwards, since the connector for the board is not visible as on the older, circuit board on top radios??!! Not sure if that matters or not.??

ALSO, and probably just as guilty,,, is the actual Jack!! I am sure these come in a variety of lay outs... This particular one is designed for when there is nothing plugged in, it creates a default circuit, still allowing original signal o pass through. If they have wrong AUX input jacks, it will also not work right because the plug doesn't disconnect the source like it should!

Just trying to get the (some work some don't) issues behind us while I am working on this!!!
I was planning on putting 1/8 jack in the faceplate, but now have decided to use center console since there is a 12v charging plug in there!!!!!

This is a great and easy mod,,,,,, keeping fingers crossed it works great after all hooked up!!
Let you all know how it turns out!!!
Thanks again to thread author, fantastic Mod!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:36 AM
leeski
6th Gear

I grounded my mp3 jack to the larger silver radio cover screw. No other grounds were needed for me. SEC5 you're seeing the same thing I did when I took it apart. I just left the #1 and #3 wires cut and stripped, then tested the mp3 connections before proceeding to make sure I was feeding it the right way.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:26 PM
wolf10851
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ya my head unit only has the cassette deck I think I'll try to find a way to goo off the CD changer instead since I don't even use that
Old 06-14-2013, 11:55 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

OMG.... My soldering skills SUCK!! From the pics this part doesn't look so small!! But it is!! Ten the 5 little tabs! Anyways, did 4 perfect, on the 5th, overheated, and metal piece came floating out of the plastic casing. (Never knew how people soldered things in a plastic casing?) Good thing it's a <$3 part! On my way back to Radio Shack, I'll pick up 2 this time, if I don't F this one up, I can return the spare!!
Let ya know how it goes!! On another note, I added small alligator clips to the other side of the cable temporarily so I can test the 4&5 wires without having to perform a balancing act??!!!!
SEC5
Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 PM
cbhood
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up! But still waaayyy outa my league.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:59 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

Finally finished this MOD!!! Thanks for all the help & info!! Just an FYI, I have a 2000 Vert no CD Changer. My radio also does NOT have the circuit board on top. So I assume this is the newer radio??!!
Anyways... I tried 4&5 first, because I really don't have ANY CD's lying around anymore, and I just wanted to tap into the radio signal!! But NO dice, in one configuration I got an error code, and the CD was acting funny, so I think these have something to do with the CD also.
Went back to the work table, repaired 4&5, and cut 1&3.
BINGO!!!
Works like a charm, but I do HAVE to have a CD in, so it IS hooked to my CD input! Couldn't get it on the radio, but it is what it is.
I LOVE this mod, I will mount jack in console (haven't done that yet), so it is close to the power supply, and so I can hide my iPod in the console!!

However tonight I was testing it out with my iPad, and Hmmmm, it sure has me thinking about another MOD!

Thanks again, love the "Factory" look!!!

SEC5
Old 06-15-2013, 02:03 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cbhood
Great write up! But still waaayyy outa my league.
Where is Lompoc?? I'm in Riverside!! Let me know don't mind giving you a hand!!
SEC5
Old 06-15-2013, 02:11 AM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 95 Posts

Thank you guys again with the " newer" style radios for adding your experiences to my original post! I really is a reasonably easy and definitely an inexpensive mod that I use every time I drive my vette!

Tyler

Old 06-15-2013, 01:57 PM
cbhood
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SEC5
Where is Lompoc?? I'm in Riverside!! Let me know don't mind giving you a hand!!
SEC5
Thaks so much for the generous offer, but I actually just replaced my unit with a double din. Lompoc is about 45 min. north of Santa Barbara.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:10 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Just did mine - works great! #4 & 5 wires for me - '98.
I mounted mine just ahead of the center console. I also used a cheap $1 female/female cat5 connector from the dollar store so that it has a quick disconnect if and when I pull the console apart!
The only thing I'm disappointed with is that you have to pull the 3.5ml plug from the socket or else the sound from the radio/cd only has the treble on - no bass at all. I was hoping to just have one end of the 3.5 cable hanging to make for an easy plug in.

Thanks so much for this mod!

Name:  DSCN4892_zps17a27aa2.jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  80.7 KB
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (04-04-2018)
Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 AM
SEC5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
I mounted mine just ahead of the center console. I also used a cheap $1 female/female cat5 connector from the dollar store so that it has a quick disconnect if and when I pull the console apart!
NICE!!
Didn't think about that one!!

The only thing I'm disappointed with is that you have to pull the 3.5ml plug from the socket or else the sound from the radio/cd only has the treble on - no bass at all
Mine as well makes a sort of "faint" ( what some are calling) " bleed through" sound from the CD that is in, but this is ONLY when there is nothing plugged to the male end input, ie.. When the iPod is not plugged in, but the "other" end IS plugged into the "Jack".
But no issues when I just use selector and switch to FM (or Radio).
Since I only have 1 CD, and I don't listen to it, it's not too big of an issue, when my iPod is not plugged in, I just switch to FM.
HOWEVER, in the OP, he mentions making a "blank" cd!
I think this is a great idea, and plan to do this as soon as I am physically able! (Had back surgery 4 days ago)

Great looking mod, I like placement, and quick disconnect for jack!!

SEC5
Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM
wolf10851
Racer

Just did mine - works great! #4 & 5 wires for me - '98.
The only thing I'm disappointed with is that you have to pull the 3.5ml plug from the socket or else the sound from the radio/cd only has the treble on - no bass at all. I was hoping to just have one end of the 3.5 cable hanging to make for an easy plug in.

Thanks so much for this mod!

I used the same location as you did and have 1 small question. how did you keep the plug in place? I don't see the nut on the outside of the hole so I am assuming you glued it in place. If you did glue it in place what kind of glue did you use? Super glue should be fine for the pushing motion of plugging in the jack but if it gets bumped side to side I could see the super glue giving way. not to mention I know superglue CAN melt plastic and I don't want to ruin my active handling cover
Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wolf10851
I used the same location as you did and have 1 small question. how did you keep the plug in place?
I used JB Weld and let it cure overnight.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:45 PM
wolf10851
Racer

cool thanks CV
Old 09-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Robesp
Advanced

I'd love to do this, but WAY OUT OF MY LEAGUE!!!

Get notified of new replies

To iPod/AUX input into factory radio write up for $3

Old 09-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Robesp
I'd love to do this, but WAY OUT OF MY LEAGUE!!!
It's actually very straight forward. Follow the instructions/pictures and you'll be fine. I found the hardest part to be the soldering of the deck wires as they are small/short. Just take your time.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Robesp
Advanced

Soldering is my only issue, as I have never done it before. I'll get some practice and get it a whirl.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 AM
82CEFan
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Completed this mod yesterday! Sounds great.

Quick Reply: iPod/AUX input into factory radio write up for $3