Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

C6 Aftermarket Nav

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:58 AM
trebor007
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Aftermarket Nav

I'm in the market for a C6 Z and am coming to the conclusion that aftermarket Nav is far superior to what GM offers. I am leaning towards not getting it with Nav and adding it afterwards. I was hoping to see some pics of aftermarket Nav systems that have been installed and everyone's opinion on what is the best Nav and why? Also if the is any modification to the dash needed with the install and has anyone had any warranty problems after installing aftermarket Nav?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 01:55 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

The ONLY advantage the OEM unit has over any aftermarket unit is the fact that it is integrated into the HUD.

Kenwood seems to be the popular choicec for the best Navigation features, but I'm very happy with my Pioneer.

For what GM charges for the Nav option, you could easily get last years model Nav unit and upgrade the entire system for less. Or keep the stock amp/speaker setup and get the newest top of the line radio.

The install isn't hard at all since the C6 has a double din opening. If you don't like the color/texture of the mounting adapter you can easily sand and paint it to match the rest of the dash. There are detailed illustrated install instructions in the FAQ if you need them. This one is my favorite. This thread details the interface adapters you'd need (stick with the peripheral brand, they definitely have fewer problems).

You can also check out the 'what do you run' sticky for some other ideas. A pic of my HU is below, click on mods link in sig for specific details.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:36 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Kenwood hands down IMO dnx6140 and up. No warranty issues at all I have installed atleast 20 diff navs in C6s
Old 09-04-2009, 09:07 AM
williocom
Racer

the new pioneer avic-z110bt is a real powerhouse. blows away the kenwoods imo. i will have pictures up this weekend of my install
Old 09-04-2009, 10:29 AM
trebor007
Heel & Toe

Thanks ill check it out. Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket aux input that can be installed?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:36 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
Kenwood hands down IMO dnx6140 and up. No warranty issues at all I have installed atleast 20 diff navs in C6s
Old 09-04-2009, 04:47 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by trebor007
Thanks ill check it out. Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket aux input that can be installed?
All of the aftermarket units come with more inputs than you'll know what to do with.

If you're asking about the stock radios, some of them now come with an aux in jack, and the PAL is now available for the OEM nav unit so you can control an ipod from the screen. Any C6 radio that comes with the XM tuner can have an aux input spliced in for $10.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:44 PM
trebor007
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by markcz
All of the aftermarket units come with more inputs than you'll know what to do with.

If you're asking about the stock radios, some of them now come with an aux in jack, and the PAL is now available for the OEM nav unit so you can control an ipod from the screen. Any C6 radio that comes with the XM tuner can have an aux input spliced in for $10.
How can you tell if the vehicle has a xm tuner? Is there a special code listed for the vehicle? Does this apply for a factory Nav with xm tuner?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

I believe any car with the 2LT or 3LT packages came with XM, but if you're looking at used cars it would be easiest to just ask the seller. If you do find one with XM, click here to see how the $10 aux input is done.

GM now sells and installs the PAL through dealers (all warranties intact). It gives you control of a dockable ipod on the OEM nav screen. I believe it's only guaranteed to work on '08+ models, but many have already installed it on 07's, I'm not sure about '06. Search the C6 general section for mucho info on that.

There are several other aftermarket gizmos available to add aux input or ipod controls, check out the C6 audio FAQ.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Boz86
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty happy with my Kenwood 8120
Old 09-07-2009, 05:46 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

I was singing praise for the Kenwood DNX9140, but I've changed my tune. Its not that great and thanks to the poster for suggesting the Pioneer that came out in June. I will be trying that for sure.

The problem list:
I'm not able to be re-routed around traffic on freeways when there IS a way to avoid traffic using side streets, it just plain does not work. This is a pisser as I rely on navigation since I can get lost in my own backyard.

Secondly, the POI database only hits on 1/2 of the stores/places I've been looking for.

Third, there is a problem using the IPod with this unit. I frequently get "Disconnected" messages and have to hard reset the IPod. This may not be the fault of the Kenwood, but crappy IPod sw (I'll never know which).

Fourth, very frequently my phone will be connected via Bluetooth (as indicated on unit), I'll punch in a number to call and the damn thing does not make the call, plain and simple.

Those are the big ticket items that dissapointed me. I thought since this thing had "Garmin" and "Parrot" software/hardware the unit would be top notch, but it is not.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:28 PM
supercoolsix
Burning Brakes

i'm looking into this too.. so Kenwood is the real deal? is the install that bad???
Old 09-15-2009, 12:05 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by supercoolsix
is the install that bad???
From post #2 above:
Originally Posted by markcz
The install isn't hard at all since the C6 has a double din opening. If you don't like the color/texture of the mounting adapter you can easily sand and paint it to match the rest of the dash. There are detailed illustrated install instructions in the FAQ if you need them. This one is my favorite. This thread details the interface adapters you'd need (stick with the peripheral brand, they definitely have fewer problems).
Old 09-19-2009, 01:35 AM
john_graser
2nd Gear

I installed the PAL on my 06' coupe today using Ray Kawal's harness. It took all of 10 minutes and works great. The PAL will work on any year as long as it has the U3U option code for the factory nav with xm radio.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 PM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by williocom
the new pioneer avic-z110bt is a real powerhouse. blows away the kenwoods imo. i will have pictures up this weekend of my install
Love that system.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:12 PM
ggolds5
Instructor

Default navigation

I read your post and was wondering if you can tell me for an 06 or 07 vette what is your personal opinion on the best overall value for an dash nav system?. Name and model if you know. Thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 09:55 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

dnx6140 best bang for the buck, if you dont want bluetooth 5140 they both will blow the OEM unit away all day

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Aftermarket Nav

Quick Reply: C6 Aftermarket Nav