Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

[C6 Answers] What do I need to install a head?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:53 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Default [C6 Answers] What do I need to install a head?

Some questions get asked a million times and those of us who are regulars in this section certainly get fatigued of answering them over & over. The answers REALLY are all in the FAQ folks, but I understand that it takes a lot of time to wade through it to pick out that's what you need. So what I'm trying to do here is make consolidated posts of things you need to do a complete replacement of the factory system with aftermarket. This first post will be about replacing the factory head with an aftermarket unit.

What I am NOT going to do in these threads is make recommendations on specific models or brands to install. Remember folks, when you ask other people what you should install you're asking other people for YOUR opinion and you're just getting theirs instead. It's OPINION and personal taste - go play with stuff and use your ears, ask guys at cruise-ins and shows, etc, most folks are more than happy to show off their work.

Also the purpose of these threads is not to tell you how to do it(so don't ask how-to questions in this thread!!!), but to tell you what you need to get it all done.

I don't expect I will manage to get everything right on the first shot so as folks remind me of things and point things out I will edit and expand.

Aftermarket Head
This stuff applies whether you're installing an aftermarket amp & speakers or not. The first thing you need is a head unit of course and the C6 is a "double DIN" opening, which is a standard size. You CAN put single DIN units in but then you have to use a pocket that is included with dash kits. Speaking of dash kits, there are a number of them out there but what I recommend using is one of the following, either will work:

Metra 95-3304 (double DIN only)
Metra 99-3304 (single or double DIN)

The next thing you need, and you NEED one of these folks trust me, is an OEM integration module. Without one of these you won't have easily available accessory/switched power, chimes and if you want it, Onstar. Again there are others available but I strongly recommend using the Peripheral Electronics modules. Peripheral uses the same Delphi chipset that the car itself uses and makes compatibility a no brainer. Here's what you need:

For no Onstar cars, Bose or Delco stereos, whether installing amp or not:
Peripheral GMCO

For Onstar Cars, Bose if not installing an amp:
Peripheral GMAH24B
Peripheral GMAHCM

For Onstar Cars, Bose or Delco if installing an amp:
Peripheral GMAH24
Peripheral GMAHCM

If you have steering wheel controls and want to maintain them both PAC (www.pac-audio.com) and Peripheral make them, but they vary based on what head unit you buy so you'll have to look that one up yourself. They WILL work with C6 Corvette for all years but there is no current support for the Bluetooth button for 2009's and up.

You will need an antenna adapter as GM uses a smaller type than the aftermarket standard. Here I don't really have any preference but the Metra one is very common and easily found:

Metra 40-GM10

A lot of folks also wind up with alternator whine when using the factory amp & speakers with an aftermarket head. If you do a pair of ground loop isolators like these will take care of that:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=265-012

You may also need a variety of miscellaneous wire, butt connectors, spades, heat shrink tubing and electrical tape, depending on how you like to your installs.

So... what(else) did I forget?

Last edited by TheKomoman; 04-11-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Antenna adapter added
The following 2 users liked this post by TheKomoman:
corrado (05-17-2016), klarke (05-16-2016)
Old 04-09-2009, 03:29 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

gm antenna adapter metra 40-gm10 :-)
Old 04-09-2009, 03:38 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
gm antenna adapter metra 40-gm10 :-)
See? Knew I'd forget something obvious.

Probably because I don't listen to terrestrial radio.....

Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 05:08 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

For whatever the reason, many people who install a new HU with the stock amps get a bit of alternator whine. A pair of ground loop isolators will eliminate the whine. A power supply noise filter also doesn't hurt.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

with ghah24 and 24b there is no need for line out converters as it takes speaker level inputs
Old 04-11-2009, 12:46 AM
FrankZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much!!! I'm getting ready to install my stuff and this made it easy to figure out what I needed. I do have a question though.. If I'm installing a head unit with no built in power and running an amp, do I need the GMAHCM? If I leave the factory amp alone, even though I'm not using it, won't it play through the speaker in the dash??
Old 04-11-2009, 06:44 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The factory radio decodes signals on the serial data line and generates the appropriate sounds. Without the chime module you won't hear any chimes/beeps at all.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:43 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by markcz
For whatever the reason, many people who install a new HU with the stock amps get a bit of alternator whine. A pair of ground loop isolators will eliminate the whine. A power supply noise filter also doesn't hurt.

Thanks, good addition.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:06 AM
FrankZ06
Racer

So if I use the chime module, the chimes will play through the factory amp through the center channel speaker or rear speakers if I don't replace them? Is that correct? Thanks
Old 04-11-2009, 06:00 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The chime module has a small speaker inside it, all of the sounds come out of the module itself (at least that's how the GMCO and GM09SR versions do it). If you remove the factory HU and don't install some kind of module that plays the chimes you won't hear any of the beeps or warnings that the car generates.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:43 PM
kscarguy
Advanced

Default what peripheral do I use for the 09 z with out amp

Hey so what peripheral do I use for an 09z with just the bose sound system? the ones listed above?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:44 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by kscarguy
Hey so what peripheral do I use for an 09z with just the bose sound system? the ones listed above?
Yep.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:37 PM
kscarguy
Advanced

I mean that the ones that are recommended only go to 2008. I don't see which one I use for an 09?

not trying to beat a dead horse here.

thanks for your patience
Old 06-10-2009, 07:30 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

all the same
Old 06-11-2009, 07:46 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
all the same

There have been very few changes with the stereo since the C6 was released and none of them effect which modules and parts you need.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a "simple" harness that can be utilized if one doesn't really care about the chimes, and does not have the steering wheel controls?

05 C6....Part #? I plan on using an aftermarket deck.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:35 PM
fred96ws6
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a little confused on why we need the GMAHCM with stock Bose amp when the GMAH24B says it's not need if using the stock Bose amp.

Vehicle Compatibility Notes
* For vehicles that have a "Premium Bose®" amp that only accepts 2 channel audio inputs.
OnStar® volume can be controlled via the steering wheel audio controls.
The GMAHCM chime module is not required when using the BOSE® amplifier.
If you are not using the BOSE® amplifier, then the GMAH24 and GMAHCM interfaces are required.
The aftermarket radio will not fade, however it will still continue to balance.

Get notified of new replies

To [C6 Answers] What do I need to install a head?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:16 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

trust me you need it
Old 07-19-2009, 07:27 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by fred96ws6
I'm a little confused on why we need the GMAHCM with stock Bose amp when the GMAH24B says it's not need if using the stock Bose amp.
Those modules are made to fit many different GM's, not all of them work the same way, so generic statements like the one you quoted are best verified by the people who know about the specific car you're dealing with.

There are several computer modules in a C6. They all talk to each other over a single serial data wire. If any one of those modules decides that you need to hear a beep or warning tone it just sends a signal out on that data wire. The stock radio interprets the data and generates the appropriate sound that is sent to the bose amp and played through the same speakers as the radio.

You can install an aftermarket radio and it will work just fine without the chime module, but there won't be anything installed on your car to interpret the data and play your warning sounds.

Just FYI, if you don't have or don't want to retain OnStar you can use just the GMCO.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:43 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

with Penta & Mark there.

In a lot of the "Premium Bose" cars the Bose amp generates the chimes sounds so that statement would be true. However while they may refer to the C6 Bose system as "premium" it is not "Premium Bose" and the chimes are generated by the factory head units. So you MUST install a module like the GMAHCM. As Mark said though, if you don't care about Onstar then just install the GMCO and you won't have to worry about it.

Quick Reply: [C6 Answers] What do I need to install a head?