Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing new AVIC-N2; a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 06:10 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Installing new AVIC-N2; a few questions...

I am in the process of installing a new Pioneer AVIC-N2 in my C5 and I have a couple of questions. I did a search but the answers were not conclusive.

1> Can I just ground the green "Parking Brake Switch" wire or should I put it on a switch to ground? I completely disconnected the N2 and I tried just grounding it, but when I powered back up, the N2 still says it is "incorrectly wired".

2> The often asked about Pink VSS wire - the "Speed Sensor" wire. When I did a search, the responses state that it's a green/white wire under the driver's side knee panel and there is a 50/50 chance of either getting the VSS or oil pressure wire. How do I check which is which? Resistance? DC Voltage? Voltage drop?

3> Where do you mount the "Hideaway box" in a C5? Under the passenger seat? I have power seats and there is no room under there for it. It has to be within 30degrees of horizontal according to the manual, so behind the seats is a non-starter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

EG
p.s. the install pics and details are in C5 General here - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...3&forum_id=103
Old 10-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EnglandGreen
1> Can I just ground the green "Parking Brake Switch" wire or should I put it on a switch to ground? I completely disconnected the N2 and I tried just grounding it, but when I powered back up, the N2 still says it is "incorrectly wired".
Underneath the MAIN unit (not the hideaway) is
a small silver sticker, peel this back. There are two contacts with
the label "R197". Drop a bit of solder between these to connect them.
Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:05 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Thanks for the info - but have you personally tried this?

The reason I ask is I Googled disabling the "legal nanny" (cannot watch DVD or change Nav while in motion) and that search came back with the same thing - but it was always second hand, third hand or "Internet Folklore". Also the hideaway unit has a gyroscope in it so it knows when the vehicle is in motion. The D1 was simple to defeat; the N2.....

The AVIC N2 costs $1700; I have no desire to negate the warranty based on heresay. If you have personally done this hack then I will try it. Please let me know

Thanks

EG
Old 10-30-2005, 08:44 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Here's the link that your comments were copied from - http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...W=Pioneer+AVIC

Like I said, no offence, but I would prefer first hand experience.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

no, i got it from searching the web, as far as i know this is the only way to bypass the gyro....well other than using the rear camera input, which is kinda crappy.

I'd take the easy way out and return the n2 and buy an n1

make sure you update us on whatever you end up doing/trying. shoot me a PM if you got any non C5 specific questions, I'll be happy to help
Old 10-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Here's the link that your comments were copied from - http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...W=Pioneer+AVIC

Like I said, no offence, but I would prefer first hand experience.

actually i got it from a different board...it's all over the net now.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:46 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks for the info - but have you personally tried this?

The reason I ask is I Googled disabling the "legal nanny" (cannot watch DVD or change Nav while in motion) and that search came back with the same thing - but it was always second hand, third hand or "Internet Folklore". Also the hideaway unit has a gyroscope in it so it knows when the vehicle is in motion. The D1 was simple to defeat; the N2.....

The AVIC N2 costs $1700; I have no desire to negate the warranty based on heresay. If you have personally done this hack then I will try it. Please let me know

Thanks

EG
EG,

I installed my own N1.

I hooked up the VSS wire in the PCM in the wheel well. I have notes if you want them.

The other option on the handbrake wire is to hook it up properly. You can then just take one notch of E Brake. It doesn't bring on the brake but lets you fool the system into thinking its applied. Not sure if the N2 gyro prevents this though.

I mounted the hideaway in the glove box. The "shoulders" allow the brain to sit level when its closed. Not the prettiest fit but very functional and I never used the gb anyway.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:11 AM
1COOLPC
Team Owner

I can't comment on removing the motion block on the N2 but I do have the D1 in my car and every time you see the trick with the N2 it is followed with the trick for doing it on the D1. I can say, for 100%, that it works as I've done it myself and couldn't be happier. So at least half of it is true. I'm certainly glad I didn't have to solder anything though.

DeeGee, the N1 is totally different. More complex than just grounding the parking brake wire.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:26 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Hope this helps...I put the hide away unit under the glove box.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1140586

I got the DVD to work by routing the video output to the rear camera plug and adding a switch to the backup wire.

1.) Connect the Parking Brake lead from the hide-away unit directly to ground.
2.) Connect the Reverse-Signal lead from the hide-away unit to a switch near your seat that your can activate while driving. Connect the other side of the switch to 12V power.
3.) Loop the video output from the top of the hide-away unit into the rear-view camera input on the bottom of the hide-away unit.
4.) In the AVIC-N2 initial setup screen, turn on the rear-view camera feature.
there will be a text message at the bottom of the screen that's meant for actual rear-view cam use, something to the effect of "CAUTION: IMAGE MAY APPEAR REVERSED

Old 11-01-2005, 01:19 AM
goof2cbr
Intermediate

[QUOTE=We Gone]Hope this helps...I put the hide away unit under the glove box.

GOT any Pics of the Hide away unit under glove box?!?!
Much appreciated!
Old 11-01-2005, 06:39 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

UPDATE:

Man, this head unit kicks posterior!!! It sound a million times better than my "old" Sony HU. This is with the same speakers and amps!!!

Now, regarding the CD-IB200 Pioneer iPod interface: DO NOT BUY THIS!!!! This is such a joke, it's not even funny. I am so disappointed with this that I could cry. I have a 60gb iPod and I went with the AVIC-N2 primarily for the iPod interface and secondly for the GPS navigation.

Here is the manual description of what it is supposed to look like - http://www.ski-epic.com/sentra_gps_a...nual_ipod.html

And here are excellent descriptions of what it actually looks like - it is so pathetic. http://www.ski-epic.com/sentra_gps_a...005/index.html
and http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_g...7520/id_type=M

Originally Posted by wegone
...I put the hide away unit under the glove box.
Thanks for all the tips. I too am interested in the "under the glove box" location. Any pics?

And what steps did you have to take to relocate the AVIC-N2 and the temperature module?

DeeGee, the N2 is a different beast from the N1. I also found some very interesting info on the web regarding the locking mechanism on the N2; it's in software - not hardware!!

A couple of people have upgraded their D1 to the latest version of the mapping software - and now they have the lockout system that they did not have before!!! http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...ID=54906&TPN=2
So I need to reverse engineer their software code rather than concentrate on soldering anything.

I will try the video loop trick that WeGone suggested and see what happens.

Thank you all for your replies.

EG

Here are a couple "in progress" install pics

Old 11-01-2005, 07:30 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

I did not get any pics of the mounting on the hide-away..Sorry, If you pull the knee bolster you will find just enough space to tuck the unit up and to the right, used some large tie wraps to secure it to the frame work above it. When you reinstall the knee bolster it will hold it in very tight.

To move the AC head unit I had to remove the factory radio standoff s to get the AC unit flush, took some small spacers to get it right. Did the same with the radio, you will need to keep the head unit as high as possible for the screen to clear the shifter. I cut a new faceplate with more at the top to fill in the area below the ac unit.

I used this install method for two main reasons.

1. No major mods to the dash that I could not return to stock
2. I did not like the way the screen blocked the ac duct.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:53 PM
NYC Vette
Race Director

I have the AVIC N1, and it's installed behind/under the glove box. I believe the brain for the N2 is about the same size.
As for the Ipod connector, it's behind the HU, with the IPOD in the glove box. (Just make sure the wire to the IPOD is long engouh to make it to the glove box). It's a bit slow at first, but I noticed I can scan through the menus much faster now...
Old 11-01-2005, 04:06 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

UPDATE :

Crutchfield Rocks!!!!! They just refunded my credit card for the Pioneer CD-IB200 iPod interface AND I get to keep it !!! And if there is a usuable upgrade in the future from Pioneer, I can swap it for free !!

Crutchfield really know about customer service. I'm a happy camper again. The Pioneer CD-IB200 iPod interface sucks big time - but at least it has not cost me anything !

EG
Old 11-03-2005, 01:06 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

UPDATE :

Received this yesterday

New 60gb Photo iPod to replace my aging 40gb unit.

Custom inscription courtesy of Apple Inc.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:27 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Hi All,

Still have a question on the green "Parking Brake Switch" wire.

I completely disconnected the N2 and I tried just grounding it, but when I powered back up, the N2 still says it is "incorrectly wired". I also tried a switch to ground - same deal. The Nav works perfectly, just that annoying message when i switch over.

Any ideas?

Thanks, EG
Old 11-25-2005, 10:10 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Solved the "Parking brake" wiring - just put it on a switch to ground.

Here are the install pics

Here's my AVIC N2

Get notified of new replies

To Installing new AVIC-N2; a few questions...

Old 11-28-2005, 04:14 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does this mean that you are able to watch video while driving now?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:26 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

No, beyond 5mph, the video gets covered with a legal nanny popup screen. You can still hear it - just not see it - which is not bad as I have quite a few DVD concerts I like to listen to.

From my research, it appears that the lock is in software - not hardware. If D1 or N1 owners upgrade their GPS software - hey presto - they have the same stupid lock as well even with the bypass!!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:14 PM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, beyond 5mph, the video gets covered with a legal nanny popup screen. You can still hear it - just not see it - which is not bad as I have quite a few DVD concerts I like to listen to.

From my research, it appears that the lock is in software - not hardware. If D1 or N1 owners upgrade their GPS software - hey presto - they have the same stupid lock as well even with the bypass!!!!!

try this. while you are driving have somebody ground the parking brake lead for about a second, then release it for about a second. repeat this and see if you are able to see the video while driving. It works with the d1 (i tried it on the way to a snowboarding trip and was able to enter gps data while my g/f was driving) if it works with the n2 then i can help you with a timer that will toggle the ground every second or so.

's

Quick Reply: Installing new AVIC-N2; a few questions...