C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Correct Spicer "coated cap u-joints"

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 04:45 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Default Correct Spicer "coated cap u-joints"

I've known about these for quite some time but I had never seen actual documentation confirming the coating so I never passed on the information. Didn't need laughed out of town because of the expense either.

The 1310 joint (drive-shaft) isn't ridiculously priced and is a 5-3613X, the 1350 joint (half-shaft) is yet another story and is a 5-3615X.

The Spicer/Dana TSB dated Oct 2013:

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/JOI-PNI-242.pdf

The earlier part numbers most were familiar with were moved to Spicer obsolescence years ago. This chart references those older numbers also:

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3262-4-DAG.pdf
Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 AM
esham
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for posting the info!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:17 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I rem seeing this thread awhile back and didn't read it, but just saw that dennys now has these u-joints.

Yah I'll coat mine with anti-seize @ $65 a u-joint for a total of $260+shipping you might as well buy new halfshafts with u-joints installed LOL!!!

With all the trucks and cars that came with alum u-joints or people using aftermarket w/o coated replacement u-joints, I'll take my chances and not pay the corvette tax.

edit: Ok I changed my mind on the whole coated cap thing, still ain't paying $65 a u-joint! And I would think it's a bigger deal on a vehicle that sees winter weather like a truck.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/b...357#fragment-1

Last edited by BOOT77; 03-27-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: dirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Denny's price for the complete halfshaft kit with new solid Spicer u-joints, caps, clips, and bolts is only $150.00. I think that's a great deal!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:41 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOT77
I rem seeing this thread awhile back and didn't read it, but just saw that dennys now has these u-joints.

Yah I'll coat mine with anti-seize @ $65 a u-joint for a total of $260+shipping you might as well buy new halfshafts with u-joints installed LOL!!!

With all the trucks and cars that came with alum u-joints or people using aftermarket w/o coated replacement u-joints, I'll take my chances and not pay the corvette tax.

edit: Ok I changed my mind on the whole coated cap thing, still ain't paying $65 a u-joint! And I would think it's a bigger deal on a vehicle that sees winter weather like a truck.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/b...357#fragment-1
I believe its a no no to put a lubricant between the caps and shaft. As it could let the cap spin.

I went with coated Neapco ujoints on one side, and the caps look rusty. Went with regular Spicer joints on the other side.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:22 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

If the cap spins with a little anti-seize it's prob already too late.

I've read about a few who paint the caps or use a sealer on the ends. I'll prob just use the coated neapco brute force and check them often as I do with my C3. Also after talking with a few perf driveshaft manufacturers they says it's not a big deal unless it's a winter vehicle.

I was gonna get the dennys kit but I ended up buying vansteels better cap n bolt kit.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:40 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOT77
If the cap spins with a little anti-seize it's prob already too late.

I've read about a few who paint the caps or use a sealer on the ends. I'll prob just use the coated neapco brute force and check them often as I do with my C3. Also after talking with a few perf driveshaft manufacturers they says it's not a big deal unless it's a winter vehicle.

I was gonna get the dennys kit but I ended up buying vansteels better cap n bolt kit.
The Brute Force on mine have some grease that have leaked out. Not many miles. Don't know if it is okay for grease to have leaked out. So far the side with the Spicers are dry.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:54 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

If they are leaking I'd keep check them often and plan too replace them.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-joints-2.html

Get notified of new replies

To Correct Spicer "coated cap u-joints"

Quick Reply: Correct Spicer "coated cap u-joints"