C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Benefit of reduced wheel and tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 02:49 AM
MarioLento
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Benefit of reduced wheel and tires

Anyone have any experience with reduction of wheel and tire weight on acceleration and performance? I think the rule of thumb is that you double the unsprung weight for benefit of wheel weight reduction.

Anyway: I just got forged apex.... and maintained the front to rear diameter delta using the following:
The total weight of all 4 wheels tires is ~39lb lighter than OEM.

Wheels: Apex EC7RS Black
19x10.5, et30 front
19x12.5, et55 rear

Tires: Continental Extreme Contact Force
295/30/19 front
325/30/19 rear

Old 04-18-2024, 09:19 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

You might be able to find some numbers on the C8 Z06 with and without the carbon fiber wheel option. The numbers will probably be generated by different cars on different days, but it might be of some help. Evaluators have indicated that the car is quicker with the lighter wheels, but I'm not sure if they published any differences. If you can find those numbers, it might give you an idea what you're dealing with.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:37 AM
DyLivn
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 74 Posts

I’m curious the weight difference between the steel/carbon rotors. I had never held a carbon disc until recently when doing some work on my Z07 and holy **** my brain was not ready for how light the carbon disc are.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:39 AM
MarioLento
Instructor

Originally Posted by TxLefty
You might be able to find some numbers on the C8 Z06 with and without the carbon fiber wheel option. The numbers will probably be generated by different cars on different days, but it might be of some help. Evaluators have indicated that the car is quicker with the lighter wheels, but I'm not sure if they published any differences. If you can find those numbers, it might give you an idea what you're dealing with.
Thanks. I just drove a 2023 Z06/Z07 with the carbon fiber wheels at Laguna Seca last weekend. It was fitted with the MP4S. It was really easy to drive hard... and rotate around corners. I got it up to 124mph with the owner in the passenger seat by the top of the hill on the front straight. I drove my C Z07 to 126 when I gave him a ride in my car. The cars feel very very different... with the C8 feeling sort of like a highly improved Lotus Elisa with a much stronger motor and of course refined. It was very enjoyable and almost too easy to drive at the limits. You could enter corners too fast and trail off the brakes to point it where you could hit the apex and get back on the gas.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:43 AM
MarioLento
Instructor

Originally Posted by DyLivn
I’m curious the weight difference between the steel/carbon rotors. I had never held a carbon disc until recently when doing some work on my Z07 and holy **** my brain was not ready for how light the carbon disc are.
I believe
regular C7 Z06 rotors are 23.8 lbs front, 24.8 lbs rear
CCB are: 13.5 lbs front, 17.75 lbs rear
The following users liked this post:
DyLivn (04-19-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 09:48 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by MarioLento
Anyone have any experience with reduction of wheel and tire weight on acceleration and performance? I think the rule of thumb is that you double the unsprung weight for benefit of wheel weight reduction.

Anyway: I just got forged apex.... and maintained the front to rear diameter delta using the following:
The total weight of all 4 wheels tires is ~39lb lighter than OEM.

Wheels: Apex EC7RS Black
19x10.5, et30 front
19x12.5, et55 rear

Tires: Continental Extreme Contact Force
295/30/19 front
325/30/19 rear

my c7z came with chromes. I bought a set of pearl nickel wheels from a 2019z. Had them powder coated to a color similar to the side skirts.
compared to my stock chromes these stock pearl nickels after the powder coating were about 7 pounds lighter per wheel.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:07 AM
MarioLento
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
my c7z came with chromes. I bought a set of pearl nickel wheels from a 2019z. Had them powder coated to a color similar to the side skirts.
compared to my stock chromes these stock pearl nickels after the powder coating were about 7 pounds lighter per wheel.
Wow: So the previous owner bought some "cool" looking chrome wheels not knowing they were heavier. I have a set of black Z06 rims in excellent shape, other than the fronts a bit out of round for sale .

How

Get notified of new replies

To Benefit of reduced wheel and tires

Quick Reply: Benefit of reduced wheel and tires