C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator /Heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:45 AM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Alternator /Heat issue

I am having a problem with my alternator, its getting hot and the charge keeps dropping as it gets hotter until it goes to 11 volts, when I start the car it charged (13.5) very well but as I start driving the alternator starts getting hot and the charging keeps dropping, I tried touching the alternator and that was not a good idea, it was hooooot.
My big question is, are there any remedy out there for that problem, advice will be taken into consideration seriously, the alternator is not the problem because I took a very good working alternator from my next car and installed it and the problem still exist, I even went so far to reinstalled the alternator back into my C6 and its working fine, I checked ground also, but as I said, its the heat, I am just trying to find a remedy for the heat or any recommendations.

Last edited by TRINIC5; 08-27-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:18 AM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Put and amp clamp on the power wire and see how much it's putting out at any given time.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:15 PM
TRINIC5
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
Put and amp clamp on the power wire and see how much it's putting out at any given time.
I don't understand exactly what you're saying, can you explain a little more into details please.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:21 PM
chpmnsws6
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-3908-AMP-.../dp/B004GDSORI

It reads amp flow. See if it's drawing a ton of amperage from somewhere causing it to die.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Z06Qazi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same issue ! i thought it was the alternator getting hot/old so i replaced it - same issue ! then i replaced the battery same issue ! After talking to someone with a SC vette they told me the harness that goes to the power the alternator and connects to the fuse box along the ilne is a link that builds up corrosion - he ran a seperate 0 Gauge wire with a fuse in the the center from the alternator to the fuse box and never drops under 13.5 anymore =) . im about to tackle this issue soon as well.
The following users liked this post:
TRINIC5 (08-29-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 05:25 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP: I had similar symptoms, turned out mine was not the alternator or battery but rather the terminal on the starter, the connection had worked lose and burned the terminal out of the starter.

Check all possible scenarios before replacing the alternator IMHO even though it appears to be a simple case.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:16 PM
mourat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was just the fact the stock alternator does not do well under heat. I replaced my alternator same issue, then went with Mechman alternator 170 amp version and now I'm at 14.5 volts all the time.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:10 AM
Burntoutaccountant
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey guys I found this while searching. Bringing it back from the dead.

Not forced induction but this is exactly what’s happening to me. Everything is working perfectly in my cooling system but my uncoated Kooks headers are putting off so much heat in my 2013 Z06 we think it’s impacting my alternator.

I work at a shop and we’ve been going through this for a few days. My gauge dropped to 10 or 11V. Restarting it when cooled down it would be back to normal output. We noted some discoloration on the exposed wire for the alternator probably due to heat. The header is t too far from the alternator.

The common mod of removing the hood rubber has already been done. Any suggestions on where to start next? I really don’t want to pull the headers and have them ceramic coated. I was thinking maybe some header wrap. I had made the error of purchasing 1 7/8” headers so I’ll be upgrading to 2” eventually in a few years anyway, but for now I need to be able to drive the car.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:51 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

This is one of the reasons why I had my headers jet hot coated with their super high temp coating before my ecs jnstall.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:20 PM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 188 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Burntoutaccountant
Hey guys I found this while searching. Bringing it back from the dead.

Not forced induction but this is exactly what’s happening to me. Everything is working perfectly in my cooling system but my uncoated Kooks headers are putting off so much heat in my 2013 Z06 we think it’s impacting my alternator.

I work at a shop and we’ve been going through this for a few days. My gauge dropped to 10 or 11V. Restarting it when cooled down it would be back to normal output. We noted some discoloration on the exposed wire for the alternator probably due to heat. The header is t too far from the alternator.

The common mod of removing the hood rubber has already been done. Any suggestions on where to start next? I really don’t want to pull the headers and have them ceramic coated. I was thinking maybe some header wrap. I had made the error of purchasing 1 7/8” headers so I’ll be upgrading to 2” eventually in a few years anyway, but for now I need to be able to drive the car.

I would double check the power terminal down at the starter. I've seen dozens of those get loose over time and start to draw crazy high amperage and eventually melt that terminal on the starter.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:09 AM
FAUXGS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting point of reference...the Cadillac XLR (C6 chassis) has a water cooled alternnator.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator /Heat issue

Quick Reply: Alternator /Heat issue