Sponsored by:

Racedeck Flooring

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 08:35 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 135 Posts

Default Racedeck Flooring

After years of thinking about it, I finally pulled the trigger and put Racedeck flooring down last month. Just brought my Z16 out of winter storage last week. Pretty happy with the outcome.

The following 6 users liked this post by 2TONE82:
capevettes (05-02-2024), charger21 (05-01-2024), Ciro's C5 (05-01-2024), JeffT1 (05-02-2024), Keev1414 (05-06-2024), rrwirsi (05-01-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-01-2024, 09:13 AM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I went with Swisstrax. It certainly makes the floor look great!
The following users liked this post:
2TONE82 (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 09:22 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,230 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by 2TONE82
After years of thinking about it, I finally pulled the trigger and put Racedeck flooring down last month. Just brought my Z16 out of winter storage last week. Pretty happy with the outcome.

Floor looks great. Doing Winter storage living in Alabama? That meets the definition of a garage queen.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:01 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Congrats. Floor looks great. I went with their Freeflow tiles and the floor still looks great 11 years later!

The following 2 users liked this post by MSG C5:
2TONE82 (05-01-2024), rrwirsi (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 10:25 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Floor looks great. Doing Winter storage living in Alabama? That meets the definition of a garage queen.
Wellll now it is North Alabama so we get some ice/snow so there's that. Actually a capacity problem, too many toys so some are stored over winter and then cycled into the summer rotation.

rrwirsi (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 11:33 AM
hyperv6
Drifting

Received 688 Likes on 431 Posts

I would like to put that in but with the work we do I think we would destroy it.

Last edited by hyperv6; 05-02-2024 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:46 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,191 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I would like yo put that in but with the work we do I think we would destroy it.
I don't know what kind of work you are doing on it, but the Racedeck is very substantial. Mine has been down for seven years and looks like the day it was installed with basically no maintenance. If you did damage a small section somehow, it is very easy to replace small parts of it.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:10 AM
hyperv6
Drifting

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I don't know what kind of work you are doing on it, but the Racedeck is very substantial. Mine has been down for seven years and looks like the day it was installed with basically no maintenance. If you did damage a small section somehow, it is very easy to replace small parts of it.
General work like welding, torching, engine pulling etc. I would hate to spill gas on it and not be able to wipe it up or put material to absorb it. It is more a shop vs garage.

If all we did here was detailing I could see it working well. It would work well in my other garage but it is for just daily drivers.

Even epoxy on the floor I am hesitant about as I have yet to see one that has not worn off or come up. Clear sealer has been the best to do but it can get slippery.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:27 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,191 Likes on 1,016 Posts

General work like welding, torching, engine pulling etc. I would hate to spill gas on it and not be able to wipe it up or put material to absorb it. It is more a shop vs garage.

If all we did here was detailing I could see it working well. It would work well in my other garage but it is for just daily drivers.

Even epoxy on the floor I am hesitant about as I have yet to see one that has not worn off or come up. Clear sealer has been the best to do but it can get slippery.
I understand. I owned/operated multiple dealerships and have seen or used a large number of floor coverings. I would trust it more than any epoxy I have ever used. I don't see oil or gas doing any damage but you might want to speak with them. Seems to be a very reputable company.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:34 AM
hyperv6
Drifting

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I understand. I owned/operated multiple dealerships and have seen or used a large number of floor coverings. I would trust it more than any epoxy I have ever used. I don't see oil or gas doing any damage but you might want to speak with them. Seems to be a very reputable company.
It is not what it would do to the floor but these floorings have holes and seams. You spill gas and how to you clean it up with out pulling up the floor.

If you have a gas heater the fumes would be a concern. There are garages used where this is fine but for general mechanical work there may issues that you may have to deal with. Mine is part man cave with Big Screen TV and other things like that but I also a not beyond tearing down a car, truck or tractor.

Right now I can wipe up spills but with the flooring it gets under it and then what? Gas is the main concern.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:57 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I have had both types of flooring. My current Racedeck Freeflow has been great for 10+ years and due to the grid design, I can vacuum or hose out any dirt or fluids. A few years ago while performing an oil change, I accidentally kicked the oil pan and was able to clean up the mess by removing a few of the tiles and mopping it up. Sort of a PITA process but still doable.

In Chicago I had an epoxy floor with a drain that was better for my rebuild projects as I had an older Camaro that I was constantly working on jacked up in the corner of the garage. Plus it was easier to clean out the nasty winter slush that often got pulled into the garage. The key to a good and durable floor epoxy is the prep of the cement floor as it needs to being diamond cut in order the epoxy to adhere and permanently stick to the floor followed by a bonding clear coat. Most of the painted floor epoxy that many new home builders use to help sell houses here in Florida are not professional grade as the epoxy in our home garage lifted within the first few weeks after closing due to the hot and rain wet tires.

Although I've seen Racedeck and Swisstrax floor tiles used in commercial applications, I think they are better suited for residential applications or light mechanical use, I wouldn't want tiles if I was still performing major mechanical work such as engine builds, transmission swaps, or other projects that required heavy tools, jacks, tool cabinets etc. These days I would rather drive the cars than work on them. My wife even paid a rare compliment saying that the garage no longer looks like a garage, rather another room in the house.

indebt (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 11:18 AM
hyperv6
Drifting

That is what I was thinking. You are not going to vacuum Gas and pulling up tiles is a paint

The painted floors in the end peel. I think I will just stick with water protected plain.

These other floors are fine if you have a garage mostly just for storage or light work. I will leave the bling for the walls and ceiling.

Get notified of new replies

To Racedeck Flooring

Quick Reply: Racedeck Flooring