Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your C3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2024, 07:38 PM
ACfarmerNH
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 117 Posts

It was a good day. I received an unexpected call a little after 4pm from the dealer letting me know that my 4-post lift was on-route and would be delivered sometime after 530 pm. I wasn't expecting it until next Tuesday so I had a little rushing to ready the shop. Will plan to assemble it this weekend.

Last edited by ACfarmerNH; 05-30-2024 at 08:16 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by ACfarmerNH:
4-vettes (05-30-2024), lickahotskillet (05-30-2024), MidShark (05-30-2024), Newbomb2469 (05-30-2024), OldCarBum (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 11:50 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,917 Likes on 3,028 Posts

I received a nice surprise video from Chris Springer today.
Body is on and they are making progress.
The following 3 users liked this post by OldCarBum:
4-vettes (Yesterday), ACfarmerNH (Yesterday), JohnRR (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:38 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,404 Likes on 2,858 Posts

I began adjusting the driver window for the 100th time. Other Forum members have guided my PTSD brain so that I understand what I am doing.

How to recurve a distorted door panel to fit flush against door frame...place it upside down on two padded sawhorses/place a 50# weight on the door panel/let the weight remain until you are ready to attach the panel to the doorframe......

This is the gap I have been dealing with off and on for a month......

Other members advised me to use rivet nuts to repair stripped brackets and bracket threads that were stretched...

The following 3 users liked this post by doorgunner:
4-vettes (Yesterday), ACfarmerNH (Yesterday), JohnRR (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,780 Likes on 2,878 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I received a nice surprise video from Chris Springer today.
Body is on and they are making progress.
Looks like progress. But did I miss the bit where they open the doors to put in alignment pins??
Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

So, got my butt in gear and made forward progress on my radiator installation and grounding.
Unfortunately my rad didn't come with a spade soldered on for a ground wire. And I really didn't wish to try to solder to a aluminium radiator. So, here's what I came up with. It seems that Champion doesn't make a manual specific rad. Something I learnt when ordering my first one. So I just left the red shipping plugs in mine.
So, I thought, I got enough junk, odds and ends as it were in my tool box at work. I'll make up a plug with a spade. So, cost zero. Stuff this old pack rat had in his tool box.
Made this.

Put this in the lower hole for fun sucker cooling lines.

And, ta da! Radiator grounded. Filled rad with front of car on ramps. Brought up to temp and capped off.
let her cool overnight and she should be properly burbed. Tomorrow I'll take some voltage reading. Have an event on Sunday. Hoping for good weather.
The following 3 users liked this post by 4-vettes:
ACfarmerNH (Yesterday), Bikespace (Yesterday), OldCarBum (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Its great that you got it so quickly after your last posting about postal service over there. And it's still flat without any holes in the box
Fed Ex delivered it! I had thought they were going to hand it off when it hit Australia. But they didn't hand it off to the post. Thank God!
The following 2 users liked this post by 4-vettes:
OldCarBum (Yesterday), Rescue Rogers (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,571 Likes on 4,066 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
Fed Ex delivered it! I had thought they were going to hand it off when it hit Australia. But they didn't hand it off to the post. Thank God!
Exact opposite here. At work we have to keep asking the drivers to please take the packages that we have placed a ship request pick up with them....usually sits 3 to 4 days before they will take it. At my house they either leave it in the bushes or in an abandoned mailbox at the end of my driveway....rarely ever at the door. UPS always brings it to my door, as well as Amazon if it's delivered by Amazon. If it's delivered by the US postal who knows what happens then
The following users liked this post:
OldCarBum (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
Z0Tex
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 157 Posts

Boxes of engine parts have begun arriving. $250/350 block goes to the machine shop Monday or Tuesday morning. Checked on my TKX from SST: Out For Delivery.
The following 3 users liked this post by Z0Tex:
ACfarmerNH (Yesterday), Bikespace (Yesterday), OldCarBum (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
hammondo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wowsa not sure where to begin on my 1980 L82???? Here in the PNW with the factory HVAC and my age I don't drive it much in the rainy months which are many as....to keep the windshield from fogging up I must keep both windows down 5-6 inches which means it is raining inside the car. Yes all HVAC components are fully functional and the fan was replaced some time ago. Ok ok long story short (sorry all I am a major fail on being brief;-) I take it out of its garage (a leaky one ergo I have a cover on the car while garaged) on dry days only. Top off all fluids wrestle a bit with the rollup door (vintage early 60s but I have used the CLP Gunzilla on it I can roll it up and down without much exertion on my part thankfully.

And away we go. It is a fire breather a 500 HP 350 build done by Gibson Performance in Spokane in 2020. Carb is a Holley Street Avenger 670 CFM rebuilt and tuned for this build. AFR Encorcer heads bring the 350 displacement to 383. Stroker 9000 crank, hydraulic roller cam. Accompanists to the power plant include ceramic Hedman headers an H pipe and Flowmaster series 50 mufflers. Differential rebuilt to 383 years ago (factory diff was down to 2 functional sprint sets from the original 6). I have a 4-5 mile loop where I terrorize the neighborhood. Good clean fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by hammondo:
4-vettes (Yesterday), OldCarBum (Today)
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
ACfarmerNH
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 117 Posts

Today was another good day as UPS dropped off my rebuilt tilt/tele column from "Corvgreg". In addition to the NCRS level restoration, he also changed out the tilt knuckle, horn contact rivets, horn button, and levers. I'm very pleased with it.

The following 3 users liked this post by ACfarmerNH:
JohnRR (Yesterday), OldCarBum (Today), Rescue Rogers (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

there was a guy that was converting 68s to tilt tele....wish he still was. I think it was business on ebay....jealous of your T/T
OldCarBum (Today)
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
Piersonpie
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 68 Posts

Front spindle rebuild is continuing. Got my new parts in the mail today.

New backing plates, spindle gaskets, bearing rear seals, and grease caps.

I also got my new rear shims and trailing arm pivot bolts. Combined with my new front shims the alignment should go fairly smoothly once all the suspension is back together.

Note how the passenger rear control arm shims are already new. One stack of shims fell out after the nut loosened. I figured there’s no point in paying for an alignment twice, so I might as well spend thousands of dollars and do all the suspension work at once. That’s how I justify it in my head.

Back to the front spindles, everything is getting a thorough cleaning of years worth of dirt and grease. When I was cleaning the caliper mounting brackets I found what looks like a gold plating on the part covered halfway by black paint.

Looking at new parts online it appears these parts are a dark bronze to black color. I could paint it black like everything else, or a low metallic gold color. What would be correct for the car? More importantly what would look better?
OldCarBum (Today)
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

This morning while waiting for the grandchild to wake, I polished up my driver's side valve cover where a few drips of coolant had blown back and stained my polished valve cover. Got it at least respectable. About then the toddler finally woke up and I could make some noise. Took voltage readings of my coolant in different situations. Basically, stuff all voltage in my coolant. Posted readings in my radiator ground thread.
Car is good to go.
OldCarBum (Today)
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

set up the hydraulic clutch and new shifter on the TKX.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rescue Rogers:
4-vettes (Yesterday), ACfarmerNH (Today), OldCarBum (Today)
Old Today, 12:13 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,917 Likes on 3,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Piersonpie
Front spindle rebuild is continuing. Got my new parts in the mail today.

New backing plates, spindle gaskets, bearing rear seals, and grease caps.

I also got my new rear shims and trailing arm pivot bolts. Combined with my new front shims the alignment should go fairly smoothly once all the suspension is back together.

Note how the passenger rear control arm shims are already new. One stack of shims fell out after the nut loosened. I figured there’s no point in paying for an alignment twice, so I might as well spend thousands of dollars and do all the suspension work at once. That’s how I justify it in my head.

Back to the front spindles, everything is getting a thorough cleaning of years worth of dirt and grease. When I was cleaning the caliper mounting brackets I found what looks like a gold plating on the part covered halfway by black paint.

Looking at new parts online it appears these parts are a dark bronze to black color. I could paint it black like everything else, or a low metallic gold color. What would be correct for the car? More importantly what would look better?
Just paint or powder coat them black.
Keep paint or coating out of the mounting holes, otherwise you’ll been cleaning it out before you can install them.
Old Today, 01:35 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,404 Likes on 2,858 Posts

As a machinist when work was slow we would machine "plugs" made of pure carbon to fit any type of hole in metal. Once the part was painted the carbon plugs could be removed from the holes by pushing them out or tapping on them with a plastic-face small hammer.
Old Today, 02:00 AM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
set up the hydraulic clutch and new shifter on the TKX.
What size master cylinder are you using?
Silver Sport Trans supplied me with a 0.750. I found that a 0.700 works well, and is a little easier on the leg.

John

Quick Reply: What did you do to your C3 today?