Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

What don't I know? Buying a used Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 11:57 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,448 Likes on 873 Posts

Interesting spot to be in.
I would consider selling both vehicles, sit on the $$ for a bit, then buy a new Z06. In a declining market, you'll get (current) top $$ for the 2 you have, then pay sticker or (gasp) less than sticker for a new Z06 a few months down the road. YMMV. Shop them around @ Carvana, Carmax, etc.
The following users liked this post:
JCSG03 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 12:08 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,229 Likes on 610 Posts

Agree, a nearly new Z sitting at a Toyota dealership at a minimum I would want to see the documentation they have proving the warranty is in tact. Meaning they have done their due diligence to insure it will not be denied the first time it rolls into a dealership and they run the VIN. The only other issue would be what sort of effort you have to take to get your vehicles to them and get the deal on paper and signed.

Otherwise it seems your have done your homework on your vehicles trade values and your comfort level on what they would be giving you. A used C8 is still a used C8 and while the Z's are still commanding solid prices the market is turning quickly and normal depreciation is about to begin. I would definitely not pay over MSRP for the Z and would want a bit off of it for being used and trading two valuable cars for one. Seems if you get it as a no cash deal with the trades you are there. Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.
JCSG03 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 12:19 PM
rackemup
Racer

Received 232 Likes on 131 Posts

I've sold many cars, motorcycles, etc. in PP fashion but realized a number of years ago that people have changed profoundly. Dealing with strangers and the general public in a transactional theatre is not what I care to do anymore. *** clowns come out of the woodwork when a high perfomance vehicle is for sale. They will beat your ear about all the stupid **** they have ever owned, waste a ton of your time, drive your Corvette, 911, etc. and then proceed to offer you half of what you are asking. Then there are the pound-offs who immediately agree to your asking price but can't borrow 15 bucks because they haven't paid a bill in 5 years. The guys who blow a gasket because you are not interested in their personal checks are another group of idiots also. Their check is "good" but they strangely have no other method of payment at their disposal. Yeah, sure, that check will be fine and dandy.
No more dealing with any of this for me. Live and learn. Trade ins work fine when you are realistic about your values and factor in the taxes.
The following 6 users liked this post by rackemup:
BIG SURPRISE (05-03-2024), Halewafa (05-05-2024), JCSG03 (05-02-2024), kenownr (05-03-2024), Michael A (05-07-2024), minn19 (05-02-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-02-2024, 01:38 PM
rackemup
Racer

Originally Posted by minn19
So what? We don’t know enough of the specifics to know if it is a horrible or not. Also, OP isn’t asking that. Some people want to get every single last cent out of a deal and others want a deal they are comfortable with and move on to the next thing they like.

If it is what he wants at the deal he is comfortable with, that’s on him. Ordering new would be great if you could find an open allocation in a reasonable time. I and many others couldn’t and don’t want to languish on some list.
Right oboard with you here. Waiting patiently on a "list" for my turn is not something I would be interested in doing. I'll buy a new car when I want a new car and not when I get the "this is your lucky day" phone call from Joe Blow Chevrolet.
Also not interested in ordering a car either and have never gone that route before on any of the scores of new cars I have purchased. Buying out of dealer stock has worked quite well for me in the past likely will when I am ready for a new Z06 or E-Ray.
As a person who has never paid the full sticker price or close on ten new Corvettes I find it a bit puzzling when I see guys popping the Champagne corks with glee after their friendly neighborhood Chevy dealer calls them with the news about it being their turn to order at full sticker or far more. Same thing goes for the Rolex Watch wait list, head shaker for sure.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:20 PM
CLAVERY
Advanced

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

This is easier said than done. I’ve sold quite a few cars, motorcycles and boats privately. It usually takes quite awhile and you have to put up with a ton of lowball offers, people that ask bizarre questions and ones that must want to take your stuff out and beat on it for fun. Not to mention on a very expensive car like his finding people that can qualify for a loan.

With the tax savings included, I’ve always come pretty close to retail for my trades. If I lose a coupe of grand in the deal to avoid the above, it is money well spent for me to save my time and aggravation to avoid the above.
This. 100%.
The following 2 users liked this post by CLAVERY:
minn19 (05-02-2024), rackemup (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 02:21 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 3,736 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
You ALWAYS lose money on trades. Those are 2 valuable cars you have and you want to give both to a dealer??

Sell private and make thousands more, not hundreds. You're literally leaving thousands on the table. Not sure why people just like throwing money away. And if you are, don't throw it at a dealer.
Yup...Trading in a car is a great strategy if you're lazy and don't like $.
Z0HS1CK (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 02:49 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 613 Likes on 228 Posts

Why buy used when you can get new for the same price. You lose a year in depreciation. Be patient.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:50 PM
minn19
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkDiverZ06
Money is spent in different ways, it’s not lazy, it’s buying time and relief from aggravation. Do you cut coupons for every single thing you buy retail? Do you only look for sales on every thing you buy in your life etc? If the answer is no, are you lazy and don’t like money?

My guess from your previous posts you are one of the people we are looking to avoid in a PP sale.
The following 2 users liked this post by minn19:
rackemup (05-03-2024), Vega$Vette (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 03:05 PM
JCSG03
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rackemup
I've sold many cars, motorcycles, etc. in PP fashion but realized a number of years ago that people have changed profoundly. Dealing with strangers and the general public in a transactional theatre is not what I care to do anymore. *** clowns come out of the woodwork when a high perfomance vehicle is for sale. They will beat your ear about all the stupid **** they have ever owned, waste a ton of your time, drive your Corvette, 911, etc. and then proceed to offer you half of what you are asking. Then there are the pound-offs who immediately agree to your asking price but can't borrow 15 bucks because they haven't paid a bill in 5 years. The guys who blow a gasket because you are not interested in their personal checks are another group of idiots also. Their check is "good" but they strangely have no other method of payment at their disposal. Yeah, sure, that check will be fine and dandy.
No more dealing with any of this for me. Live and learn. Trade ins work fine when you are realistic about your values and factor in the taxes.
Perfectly said. Its not a matter of hating money or being lazy, it's about how you want to spend your time on earth and not dealing with insufferable people is at the top of my list. It's funny when you think trading vs PP is considered hating money and not spending tens of thousands on a sports car lol

Anyway thanks everybody that helped and better luck to the rest of you!
Old 05-02-2024, 03:07 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,287 Likes on 2,204 Posts

Agree. They don't call them stealerships for nothing.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:38 PM
minn19
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
Agree. They don't call them stealerships for nothing.
If you get taken bad by a dealership, that is on you. Otherwise they provide a service no different from any other retail store. Nobody complains about the huge markups on other retail goods.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:58 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,287 Likes on 2,204 Posts

If you get taken bad by a dealership, that is on you. Otherwise they provide a service no different from any other retail store. Nobody complains about the huge markups on other retail goods.
It was given that nickname for a reason. Obviously this doesn't and can't apply to 100% of the dealers out there.

But more often than not, they will screw you. That's just the bottom line.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:53 PM
rackemup
Racer

Really an ignorant statement and total BS.
minn19 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 04:11 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,980 Likes on 4,325 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Really an ignorant statement and total BS.
It's simple math. Many states offer a sales tax break when you trade in a vehicle. If you can net more selling privately, also factoring the time to sell, do so. If you net the same or more trading in, take that. My last 3 vehicles I traded in because with the tax break, I either ended up flush or ahead. The vehicle before that I sold privately (Wrangler) and sold it for full asking price within an hour of posting it online.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:48 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by JCSG03
I have a deal in place for a used 2023 Z06 3LZ with about 5k miles that this out of state Toyota dealer has had for roughly 6 weeks. Without going down a rabbit hole I can tell you I'm trading a 23 Tundra and 22 GT500 and they ultimately came within $1200 of my initial ask which effectively puts this car around its original $135k msrp.

They have a perfect 5.0 rating after 59 reviews on CarGurus. They've assured me nothing is wrong inside outside or mechanically with the car and the pictures and car fax back that up as much as it can. It also still has an active warranty.

So what's the problem?

I'm hoping there isn't one but the dealer didn't even care to get more than one pic each on my trades which feels desperate.

It's easy to be cynical but I guess it's easy to be naive too. They are highly reviewed and every communication so far has been great. Is it just a bad idea right now or in general to buy used or should I jump?
make them come down just a tad more on the Z, prices are already dropping sharply on the SR and Z's are MSRP now, for the most part.

the question is, how much did they offer the guy for the Z? probly not as much as you think. so AFTER you work the deal be like yeahhhhhh i dunno i'm gonna need another couple grand off the top to make this worth it relative to a new one balhblah.. and dont let them play games with hte numbers on the back end, either on the Z or your trades.

read and re-read everything etcetc, you know the drill. they'll make nice money off that tundra.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:15 PM
sambo60
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 72 Posts

With the tax break, it's actually hard to make more money selling the vehicle privately. I just ordered a z06 and need to sell my C8 stingray soon, but unfortunately California doesn't allow for the tax break, so it will definitely make more sense to sell it privately. If they did allow it, I'd trade the car in in a heartbeat.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:01 PM
SharkDiverZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 3,736 Likes on 1,403 Posts

As a person who has never paid the full sticker price or close on ten new Corvettes I find it a bit puzzling when I see guys popping the Champagne corks with glee after their friendly neighborhood Chevy dealer calls them with the news about it being their turn to order at full sticker or far more.
I paid full MSRP for my '23Z and made out quite well when I sold it...Good thing I'm not as wise as you are.

Get notified of new replies

To What don't I know? Buying a used Z06

Old 05-05-2024, 07:02 AM
Joemat
Heel & Toe

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Be quite sure that the car was traded in after 6 months of original ownership. It takes many months for GM's warranty systems to catch-up on sale dates. So while it may reflect under warranty today, that could likely change down the road if the car was in fact sold prior to the 6 month period.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:38 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 489 Likes on 262 Posts

My advice is find a new one on a dealers lot and trade your cars for it, even if it is long distance.

I am on my 2nd C8, the first was a 2023 C8 Z51 HTC and my current is a 2024 C8 Z06 HTC.
My 2023 was lemon lawed and I would never buy any C8 used due to losing this protection.
My 2023 was in the shop for 4 months due to a bad transmission, warranty or not, can you deal with not having your car for 4 months?

If you search you can find a New C8 Z06 on a dealers lot and you might pay $10K over MSRP.
Then trade your cars in on the new Z.

I bought my 2024 Z brand new from a dealer in West Virginia and they took my 2018 Porsche 911 carrera 4s cabriolet in trade.
I did the whole deal over the phone, they transported the car to me in Pennsylvania by trailer and took my car back.
I paid $10K over sticker for the exact car I wanted and they gave me KBB on my trade.

Easiest car purchase I have ever made.

If you do want this used car, make sure it has the warranty intact and extend the warranty through GM which you can do up to 3 years/36 months from the original purchase date if possible, I am not sure ff this extends to the second owner.

Hope this advice helps.

JABCAT (05-05-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 04:22 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,955 Likes on 1,380 Posts

So you have retail numbers for the Ford and Toyota. What does KBB and NADA say the trade-in values are? Those are the important prices. Then compare that to the Z06 price. You may also be able to get them down below MSRP depending on your trade-in values..

I agree with others about the warranty. GM voided warranties on Z06s if they were sold by the original buyer before six months. You don't want to be stuck with that. I would imagine you could take the VIN to a Chevy dealer, and they could punch it in. I would also look at the service history for the car.

As far as buying new, unless there is something sitting on the lot that meets your specs, expect to wait quite a while to put in an order and have it actually delivered.

As far as selling your two cars to private parties, how much time do you have to waste? Sorry to say it, but most people are flakes.

Last edited by Michael A; 05-07-2024 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: What don't I know? Buying a used Z06