Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C8, new owner, rough beginning.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 11:13 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 697 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstrike
Yup, I was very skeptical when I bought a 2017 Cayman for my wife. It's been a bulletproof reliable. Very reliable double clutch transmission and very long maintenance interval. C8 price was just right.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
My sarcasm is my way of agreeing with you. The vast majority of all cars are pretty darn bulletproof reliable. Look at your own list of cars (btw, nice list, I have or have had 3 of the same ones myself!). None of those are known to be “reliable” cars, yet I’m willing to bet you haven’t had any real issues with any of them, right? Even your Porsche has been fine, and probably will be fine too. But if it’s not, you can bet it will be expensive to repair out of warranty. I have a friend who is a Porsche and European car mechanic. He makes a killing on one outrageously expensive job after another. Does that mean all European cars are junk?? Of course not. Just like these reported C8 DCT issues - sure it’s annoying, but it’s not outside the norm for high performance cars. And dare I say, I believe all of them are still under warranty.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:18 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nick49
I truly feel horribly bad for you and all the others that have had issues and had to take their car back to the dealer even once for a simple issue. As a business owner and vehicle tech, I find this unexcusable. I'd rather have a 100% reliable no issue Yugo than a Bugatti Veyron that had to visit the dealer a few times a year. I keep thinking these DC trans issues will go away, I'm now convinced they are part of the C8 experience. It would have been so simple to make a 6 speed manual available and eliminate all the BS I've seen since the first batch of C8's rolled off the assy line.
As someone who remembers Yugos when they were new, I’d love to see you find a 100% reliable no issue Yugo. 😂

But if I had one, I’d gladly trade it for your Veyron and quarterly trips to the dealer. In a hot second.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:21 AM
thunderstrike
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mnm4ever
My sarcasm is my way of agreeing with you. The vast majority of all cars are pretty darn bulletproof reliable. Look at your own list of cars (btw, nice list, I have or have had 3 of the same ones myself!). None of those are known to be “reliable” cars, yet I’m willing to bet you haven’t had any real issues with any of them, right? Even your Porsche has been fine, and probably will be fine too. But if it’s not, you can bet it will be expensive to repair out of warranty. I have a friend who is a Porsche and European car mechanic. He makes a killing on one outrageously expensive job after another. Does that mean all European cars are junk?? Of course not. Just like these reported C8 DCT issues - sure it’s annoying, but it’s not outside the norm for high performance cars. And dare I say, I believe all of them are still under warranty.
So far, Mustang, Cayman and C8 are trouble free, reliable. Jeep Wrangler had a cracked exhaust manifold which I replaced; and leaky water pump gasket, so replaced the pump and silicon treated gasket. So, I can't complain, but $20,000+ out of warranty DCT replacement is bit too much.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
Old 05-09-2024, 07:05 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thunderstrike
So far, Mustang, Cayman and C8 are trouble free, reliable. Jeep Wrangler had a cracked exhaust manifold which I replaced; and leaky water pump gasket, so replaced the pump and silicon treated gasket. So, I can't complain, but $20,000+ out of warranty DCT replacement is bit too much.
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman
Is that a real number though for a DCT repair? I would be surprised if that's what they end up costing once the warranties start expiring. AFAIK, all we have seen so far is warranty replacement prices paid for by GM at dealerships. They don't fix the DCT, they just replace it. I saw online the part price is about $10-12k, then figure they charge another $10k in labor. This is really not out of line with the prices or policies for any high end DCT... Porsche, Mercedes, etc. Actually its cheaper. My guess is that once these things start rolling out of factory warranty, the replacement prices will go down, someone will figure out how to crack them open and fix whatever went wrong, and we will be looking at maybe an $8-10k repair cost. Again, right in line with what Porsche guys are paying for indy PDK repairs.

But it's also why I am hedging my bets and got a nice long extended warranty, so I don't have to think about 5 figure repair costs for about a decade! By then I may end up selling it and buying a used manual Porsche instead.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:17 AM
cherrybombking
Heel & Toe

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

UPDATE

The service center called yesterday, 5/9, said that the last part they needed, a gasket, was finally located and is being flown in from Florida, should arrive today. If all goes according to plan, and partially due do the incredibly rainy spring we are having in western PA, they are looking to road test it for about 20 miles or so on Monday 5/13 to check performance, codes, etc.

In the meantime, I've been following the saga of @ShanMan14 and took his idea of emailing the Corvette Concierge. No response yet and not sure what I expect to come of it, but it can't hurt.

The first thing I am doing upon getting it back is removing the Coughlin Cars license plate frame, which I should have done day 1. It has to be the source of all this bad luck, haha.

The following 2 users liked this post by cherrybombking:
hawkgfr (05-12-2024), Zormecteon (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 09:25 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

for all this, you still have a good attitude. I'd guess just about everyone reading the thread is at least somewhat impressed.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:48 AM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
for all this, you still have a good attitude. I'd guess just about everyone reading the thread is at least somewhat impressed.
I will second this and was glad to see there is some positive movement at the dealer. As for you originally coming here to vent I am glad you did. Most of us here are here to lend support. Best of luck getting a favorable outcome.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:02 PM
cherrybombking
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Joe C5 C2
Most of us here are here to lend support. Best of luck getting a favorable outcome.
It really is a bummer that my 1st post and introduction to this community was about a series of negative experiences, I was very much hoping it to be an excited post in the "Post pictures of your new C8 when you take delivery" thread. That being said, the comments on this thread, and the many others on the forum as a whole, have been so helpful. Thank you to everyone for the positive thoughts, advice, and words of encouragement, they have been incredibly uplifting.

The myChevrolet app is indicating that codes have been cleared, which means there is movement! Hopefully the rain clears up and the road test goes well, maybe I can pick her up soon.

Again, thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Cumbers (05-11-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 03:27 PM
cherrybombking
Heel & Toe

UPDATE 5/13

Service center called, said the valve body has been replaced and the car has been road tested for 2 separate 10 mile drives. The tech is mechanically happy with it and I can pick up as soon as 4 p.m.

Today is day 28 of being a Corvette owner, with the car being in the shop for 15 days, 54%. Of the 390 miles on the car, 299 of them have been to or from a dealer/service center, 77%. Hoping to get more than 40 miles out of it before the next CEL.

I will miss this Silverado tho, haha.
The following 2 users liked this post by cherrybombking:
SBMtbiker (05-13-2024), Zormecteon (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 03:48 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,984 Posts

Glad things progressed and let's hope it only gets better for you from here!
Old 05-13-2024, 04:02 PM
Nick49
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by cherrybombking
UPDATE 5/13

Service center called, said the valve body has been replaced and the car has been road tested for 2 separate 10 mile drives. The tech is mechanically happy with it and I can pick up as soon as 4 p.m.

Today is day 28 of being a Corvette owner, with the car being in the shop for 15 days, 54%. Of the 390 miles on the car, 299 of them have been to or from a dealer/service center, 77%. Hoping to get more than 40 miles out of it before the next CEL.

I will miss this Silverado tho, haha.
I'm glad you got things sorted and hopefully no more other trips to the dealer, other than elective. Had it not been for issues that keep creeping up, I would have been a C8 owner years ago. I frankly don't have the patience that most do here on the forum. I already own 2 of my dream cars, and my wife does as well. They spoiled us with awesome reliability.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:06 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,984 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick49
I'm glad you got things sorted and hopefully no more other trips to the dealer, other than elective. Had it not been for issues that keep creeping up, I would have been a C8 owner years ago. I frankly don't have the patience that most do here on the forum. I already own 2 of my dream cars, and my wife does as well. They spoiled us with awesome reliability.
The C8 has been the most reliable and trouble-free car I've owned. 2021 w/21k miles on it. I took delivery from my dealer and immediately drove it cross-country (PA home to TX, then TX to northern MN 2 weeks after that). It's been to the dealer twice:
  1. Complimentary 7,500 mile service
  2. GM-optional Borla exhaust system install
Visit #3 coming up soon for the 3-year DCT fluid & filter.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:14 AM
cherrybombking
Heel & Toe

UPDATE, hopefully the last for this thread.

Picked it up yesterday at around 5 pm and promptly put about 60 miles on it. Knock on wood, everything seemed be working great, no new codes in that time. I have 50 miles until the odometer reaches 500, looking forward to it.

Thanks again to everyone!

Last edited by cherrybombking; 05-15-2024 at 07:03 AM. Reason: I am bad at typing.
The following 7 users liked this post by cherrybombking:
JABCAT (05-14-2024), Khaberst (05-14-2024), phalse (05-14-2024), Red C8 of Jax (05-14-2024), SMOKN C8 (05-14-2024), tractman (05-14-2024), V Vette (05-14-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: New C8, new owner, rough beginning.