Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I cant afford a new c8 or to pay cash

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 09:26 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

You and your budget are not ready for a Corvette.
The following users liked this post:
Fishfryer527 (05-08-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 09:28 AM
rackemup
Racer

Received 232 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Samuel Clemens
You got that right about NVDIA. Ferrari has been fantastic as well as Apple O’Reilly Auto and throw in some COSTCO, Microsoft and Berkshire Hathaway to help pay the taxes. The past 4 years have been outstanding. Keep buying that stock! Sam.
20/20 stock trading hind sight, gotta love it. Amazing how some guys on internet forums have raked it in on all the hot and meme stocks of the past few years. Incredible insight some of these guys have generating these 3 figure rates of return in the time frame of a car loan term while 50% of Wall Street's top professional fund managers can't beat the 9 or 10% of the S&P 500 over time.
Warren Buffet should recruit some of the stock trading Rock Stars who are vocal on the forum.
"I borrow money to buy a toy(C8) because I will double, triple, quadruple, that amount with my amazing stock trading skills", sure you do, absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by rackemup; 05-05-2024 at 10:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rackemup:
JABCAT (05-06-2024), js78 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 10:15 AM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 371 Posts

Too many guys here that have it all figured out……
thx for all your intelligence……enjoy your day watching golf on your big screen.
I think I’ll unsubscribe now,I’ve been schooled. Lol
jipper (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 10:21 AM
jipper
Burning Brakes

Received 515 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary barnes 1098
Too many guys here that have it all figured out……
thx for all your intelligence……enjoy your day watching golf on your big screen.
I think I’ll unsubscribe now,I’ve been schooled. Lol
Yeah pretty disappodisappointing read some of the comments....I'm going to hit the unsub as well....hopefully the OP gets their budget setup, takes care of bad debt, plans their savings ammount and finds a c8 they can finance and stay within their budget.

Old 05-05-2024, 10:35 AM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
you don't want to be the richest guy in the cemetery. You can't take it with you.
You don't want to be the poorest guy living in the projects either. Prioritize your expenditures.
Originally Posted by See8
Or, buy crypto and buy the C8 cash in 12-18 months.
Or, buy crypto and cry when your exchange is breeched and all your tokens are stolen by the Lazarus group or SBF style 'investing' bankrupts you.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:07 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by reefer27
So my deal would be $930 a month with trade at $15k equity for 72 months. Car is $69k plus tax and tags. What are others payments like ? It’s a 2020 c8 with 2lt, z51 mag ride and front lift -g2 seats at 10k miles
I have no skin in the game yet as I am still looking and have been for the last three years. I agree with the few here that say prices are falling ( not very quickly but falling). The fact that people are asking that much money for a five year old car is a testament to the great value of the C8. That being said a 2020 is not worth 69k and really should be falling below the 64k mark. But that does not stop people from trying to get top dollar even if they know better. Some here that say you would be upside down pretty badly on this deal are right. There are way better deals out there you just have to keep looking. But its your call.
iamrepete (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 01:02 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 697 Likes on 391 Posts

From the way you phrased your question about payments and the title, it’s clear that you can’t afford this car. Or really any car at this price range. That’s not meant to be a slam on you, it’s just that cars in general are really really expensive right now and if you don’t understand how financing and payments work then you aren’t ready for the expense of a $70k car, whether it’s a Corvette or a Silverado or a BMW.

I love my C8, I was able to pay cash for it because of some very well timed financial decisions and luck. I flipped a few other cars during the Covid price boom. I saved a ton of money by not buying new cars for 7-8 yrs before I got my C8. I also lived within my means and had very low interest loans on previous cars I financed. And finally I make a pretty solid income and got a few bonuses that helped pay for my new toy.

I work in IT, for those who say we don’t tell you what we do for a living. I work with a lot of younger, high earning ppl who spend insane amounts of their monthly income financing fancy cars to impress their friends. $1000/mo car payments are not remotely rare in my company, and a lot of these people have 2 and 3 car payments that high. We had one guy we used to tease all the time because he was leasing a new car literally every 6 months. I still don’t know how he was able to flip out of leases so often without the negative equity crushing him. Maybe it was the Covid pricing I don’t know. My point is - just because you CAN afford it doesn’t mean you should. Paying that much for cars is a fools game. Paying that much for a sports car is even more foolish. That is where all of these posts about paying cash for your corvette are coming from. If you can’t afford to do it, then you aren’t ready for the financial hit that comes with it. Now if you have a half million+ in investments and you are financing the C8 so that you don’t have to touch your investments, that’s fine. That person is not coming on here asking how much everyone’s payments are either. Because they already get it.

Besides my Corvette I also have an MR2 Spyder. I have nearly as much fun driving that car as I do my C8. It costs 1/10th the price. You can buy a brand new BRZ for about a third the price of a C8 and it’s still a ton of fun. You can buy a used Corvette for anywhere from $15-35k and have a great car that scratches the Corvette itch. The C8 is an amazing car and honestly a good value. But it is not attainable to everyone like Corvettes used to be. Just because a significant number of car buyers are spending C8 money on trucks or SUVs or luxury cars doesn’t mean everyone can afford that. Many of those buyers are getting themselves into a financial bind over those purchases too.
dohabandit (05-06-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 01:25 PM
iamrepete
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is nothing better, even for Consumer Reports survey responders.
The following 2 users liked this post by iamrepete:
at7000ft (05-06-2024), js78 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 01:45 PM
rkrupka
Pro

Received 290 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanD
I took it as serious. You aren't paying for it, your business is. So, it's not something YOU could afford or not.
Original post...
"You aren't affording a C8 if you are using it as a business expense. I mean, kudos to you for getting into a position where you can use a C8 as a business expense. But it's still not affording one"

Its a math decision whether or not to write it off with the business.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:04 PM
rackemup
Racer

Received 232 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads2kconvertible
You don't want to be the poorest guy living in the projects either. Prioritize your expenditures.

Or, buy crypto and cry when your exchange is breeched and all your tokens are stolen by the Lazarus group or SBF style 'investing' bankrupts you.
Yeah, Bitcoin, great stuff. LOL. Gotta love the "virtual wallet" BS that goes along with it. Lazarus group and SBF grease ***** are the types who just love the scams that can be run on this crap. Unfortunately most fast buck, easy money, artists never see the finish line. My own family has a few financial fools who have lost most of their savings trading stocks and on various forms of other "big return" game plans that never work.
Take note of Warren Buffet's recent appraisal of Crypto which he describes as "Snake Oil Squared". There are many out there who will agree.
So many of these internet financial discussions remind me of the aggressive driving monkeys you see slicing, dicing, tailgaiting, etc., to be first in line at the next red light. Problem for these *** clowns is the high probability of a major crash as a result of their idiotic behavior.
Not that any of this would apply to anyone here, Naaaaaaahhhhh.

Last edited by rackemup; 05-05-2024 at 08:02 PM.
mnm4ever (05-05-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 11:37 AM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Tribe3134
I’m just piling on here, but I agree the car is just a toy. Taking on $930 per month for the next 6 years is a pretty big outlay for most people. Obviously the car will only depreciate so know it will be worth a lot less in 6 years. I’ve had large car payments in the past when I had a very healthy income, but guess what, life can change quickly. Then that $930 per month can be a very big drag. Ask me how I know.

I’m in my mid 50s and a buying my first Corvette next month because I can finally afford it. I’m not financing it. I’ve saved up for quite a while. I sleep much better knowing that if life happens again I could afford to live in my current house working a minimum wage job and nothing will get repo’d. I may not get to retire at the age I wanted, but oh well.

Even if life doesn’t happen $930 a month will definitely impact most people’s ability to do other things in life. That trip to Vegas your buddies are taking? Nope. That nice family vacation your neighbors are taking? Nope. That nice birthday present for your wife? Maybe not. Wife wants a new car? Maybe in a few years, but certainly not before this one is paid off (how’s that going to fly in your marriage?) . That $5,000 emergency surgery your dog needs? Gonna have to sell something.

You’re paying $81,960 for this car.

it’s all about your financial risk profile. If you play the game long enough, life happens to everybody. If your margin for financial error is razor thin, then it’s a catastrophe. For people with no debt and an emergency fund, it’s a temporary hiccup. Who do you want to be?
Totally agree, and you need to think about the maintenance costs, my 22,500 maintenance was $1000, and just bought new tires for $2000 at 26,000 miles.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:43 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,448 Likes on 873 Posts

1 post by OP. 7 pages of arguments. CF delivers.
123sugey (05-06-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 10:40 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,639 Likes on 4,322 Posts

Originally Posted by St.Char
If I took Dave's advice, I would be eating rice and beans, beans and rice and have no life.
Dave Ramsey is an idiot who understands nothing about the real world, but his basic advice to save before you splurge is sensible. Going without a C8 is hardly the same as eating beans and rice.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:42 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,639 Likes on 4,322 Posts

Originally Posted by newchevyman
OP don't listen to all these boring people thinking they're going to live to be 100 years old. Buy the nicest Corvette you can stretch your budget to get into then you've got license plate options such as NSOLVNT or C8 YOLOO. Make it happen!
And then hope you don't have any sort of emergency that requires the cash you no longer have to spend, and that you never lose your job and the car get repo'd......
Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Don't take financial advice from a car forum.
Probably the best advice in the entire thread!

I don't ask my financial advisor what car to buy, either.

Last edited by Red Mist Rulz; 05-07-2024 at 10:53 AM.
Corvette03051 (05-07-2024)

Quick Reply: So I cant afford a new c8 or to pay cash