C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Swap - Front Accessory Relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 02:55 PM
rabinaba
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default LS Swap - Front Accessory Relocation?

Doing an LS swap and was under the impression I wasn’t going to have to relocate any of the front accessories, but I’m now second guessing myself.

I’m dropping an LS1 from an ‘04 Pontiac GTO into my ‘81. I know F-body LS1’s typically don’t require any accessory relocation, but what about the GTO engines?
Old 05-01-2024, 10:53 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by rabinaba
Doing an LS swap and was under the impression I wasn’t going to have to relocate any of the front accessories, but I’m now second guessing myself.

I’m dropping an LS1 from an ‘04 Pontiac GTO into my ‘81. I know F-body LS1’s typically don’t require any accessory relocation, but what about the GTO engines?

I used this to determine problems.

My LS3 came with corvette / CTS V / G8 position which creates the widest accessory placement, (Hits control arms)

But as you can see (confirm measurement) F-body / GTO are the same 2.25" .
Old 05-09-2024, 05:24 PM
rabinaba
Instructor

Originally Posted by cagotzmann

I used this to determine problems.

My LS3 came with corvette / CTS V / G8 position which creates the widest accessory placement, (Hits control arms)

But as you can see (confirm measurement) F-body / GTO are the same 2.25" .
Ah, so if I’m reading this correctly, my GTO front accessory drive should fit no problem? F-body fits, so if they’re the same measurement, I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. That would save me a bunch of money if they were the case.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:51 AM
corvette74
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Morning, not sure if this info is relevant but here goes. I dropped a 06 gto ls2 into my 74, the alternator pulley hit the front crossmember so I had to move the alternator to the top. The motor mount adaptors play a role in where the motor ends up when installed. Some move it forward, some may move it up a bit, depends on the manufacturer. You didn't mention if you changed the pan to rear sump yet.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:55 AM
rabinaba
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvette74
Morning, not sure if this info is relevant but here goes. I dropped a 06 gto ls2 into my 74, the alternator pulley hit the front crossmember so I had to move the alternator to the top. The motor mount adaptors play a role in where the motor ends up when installed. Some move it forward, some may move it up a bit, depends on the manufacturer. You didn't mention if you changed the pan to rear sump yet.
This information does help, but I guess I’ll have to wait until the engine is in the car see where things land. I’m getting dirty dingo sliding engine mounts, so that might help a bit. Was hoping to start buying parts now and replace them while the engine is out, but sounds like that isn’t optimal.

I haven’t changed the oil pan yet, but I’ve already purchased an fbody-style pan to replace it with. Might do that this weekend.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:24 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by rabinaba

Other item which depend on upper control arms, and engine placement. Is modification of heater hose locations.

eg. I have SPC Upper arms which allowed me to keep the LS3 heater host placements. Most need to cap and relocate.

Old 05-10-2024, 01:21 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 904 Likes on 788 Posts

I have a question about these LS engine water pump hose fittings; I have wondered about these hose fittings from watching several LS engines going into C3s.....
To squeeze the 200-4R into the narrower Manual Tranny tunnel in my 68 I ended up using Banjo Fittings specified for 4L80E transmissions.... that gave me enough room to squeeze the tranny cooler lines in there without having to modify the tunnel, or to do other oddball fitting adapters at the tranny..
Does anybody make Banjo Fittings of these heater hose sizes that could be threaded into these LS water pump heater holes? Seems like that could provide a little more room there?

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Other item which depend on upper control arms, and engine placement. Is modification of heater hose locations.

eg. I have SPC Upper arms which allowed me to keep the LS3 heater host placements. Most need to cap and relocate.

Get notified of new replies

To LS Swap - Front Accessory Relocation?

Quick Reply: LS Swap - Front Accessory Relocation?