Fix it or toss it, rim inner structure bent inwards

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 10:30 AM
AnotherNorskie
Pro

Received 289 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by knightindustries2000
This is Nashville.
As someone who lives where we have frost heaves and having worked in many places south of the Mason-Dixon (including Nashville) I kind of have to chuckle at what you southerners call a "bad road".

Check out what we're dealing with up here in MN, a friend of mine made a short video of one of the more extreme sections:

(turn off the audio for your own sanity):

Still, potholes, expansion cracks, patches of asphalt repair etc. all contribute to why I've been slowly replacing all my vehicles with longer and softer suspensions and taller tire sidewalls.

We have numerous wheel repair shops here, and the local consensus is that "if it ain't forged, it'll get bent". Thus, I would expect that a forged wheel will stand up abuse much better than cast aluminum.

BUT ... I will concede that I-40 and I-440 has surprised me on numerous occasions as being particularly bad for a southern road.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:12 PM
Bayshore Vette
@c7gsm7vert

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 373 Posts

I recycled my OEM GS wheels. Didn't want to pass the crap on to others. I got a whole $45.00 for the set of four here in CA. Too nice of a car to trust cast aluminum wheels. Period.
The following users liked this post:
Wickdc7 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 08:25 AM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 586 Likes on 337 Posts

During new tire and wheel project, Discount Tire asked me if I wanted them to dispose of them. Heck yeah! 2 were bent and other 2 probably waiting to happen. They were going to be more junk to deal with.
The following users liked this post:
Discount Tire (05-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Fix it or toss it, rim inner structure bent inwards