C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Bittersweet Corvette Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 10:06 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 788 Likes on 543 Posts

Very Sorry to hear of your loss. Try to remember the good times you had together.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:39 AM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

That is a very interesting bittersweet Corvette story. Hopefully my wife won't have her own version.

We bought our 2013 GS convertible late last February. It was "The Corvette" I have always dreamed of owning but never seriously pursured. My wife would often catch me on the internet dream-shopping. One day around the Christmas season last year, she says to me, "Why don't you get the Corvette you want?" So I got her involved with selecting interior and exterior colors.

Last month at age 65, I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma, the worst possible kind of Lymphoma to have. What started out as a lump on the top of my shoulder from an injury, turned out to biopsy as that form of cancer. So I have been going through a battery of testing at RUSH in Chicago that determined I am in stage 3, maybe stage 4 if the cancer is in my bone marrow biopsy done today.

Because of my excellent health otherwise, I am encouraged by so many people around me that I will beat this, but the reality of my situation tells me maybe, maybe for a few years, maybe not. I told my wife of 46 years of marriage, that I should sell our Corvette, our motorhome, and our Jeep Liberty 4x4 that we tow behind the motorhome, to simplify life for my wife for if she becomes a single senior, but she says "No Way because you will be around for a very long time".....at least she feels that way today. But maybe one day, my wife will drive around in our Corvette with similar thoughts as the OP.

All my adult life I have been a person of deep religious convictions. I know where I am going when I check out. My God and Savior Jesus Christ will welcome me home, now likely sooner than later. In a strange way, I feel guilty because I am excitedly looking forward to that. Because I would be leaving my wife, my family, and all my Christian friends, in a strange way I march down the long road of fighting this disease more for the sake of them than for myself. Yes I would like to grow much older, but if not....oh well.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ron Dittmer:
fparkin (05-17-2024), qwazipsycho (05-17-2024), sonik_fury (05-18-2024), VetteVinnie (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 08:46 AM
TexAg '87
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you, every one of you, for your heartfelt words and for sharing your own personal stories. My faith has remained strong throughout this journey and I know we will be together again someday. As far as her being with me when I drive, being my copilot, this image comes to mind often when I am out cruising. God Bless.

The following 6 users liked this post by TexAg '87:
Landru (05-17-2024), Mike98SilVert (05-17-2024), seijack (05-17-2024), sonik_fury (05-18-2024), VetteVinnie (05-17-2024), yeller z06 (05-17-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-17-2024, 08:48 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 372 Likes on 219 Posts

Wow. Tex, thanks for sharing, I know how sometimes it helps to write stuff out to get our thoughts and emotions straightened out a bit. My condolences for your loss.

Ron, best of luck with your recovery.

These kinds of posts remind us that unfortunately, life is short, and we need to enjoy what we have - especially our spouse - while we can. I am fortunate that my wife tolerates my car A.D.D. without too much pushback, and rarely do I hear a "told you so".
Old 05-17-2024, 09:10 AM
qwazipsycho
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer
That is a very interesting bittersweet Corvette story. Hopefully my wife won't have her own version.

We bought our 2013 GS convertible late last February. It was "The Corvette" I have always dreamed of owning but never seriously pursured. My wife would often catch me on the internet dream-shopping. One day around the Christmas season last year, she says to me, "Why don't you get the Corvette you want?" So I got her involved with selecting interior and exterior colors.

Last month at age 65, I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma, the worst possible kind of Lymphoma to have. What started out as a lump on the top of my shoulder from an injury, turned out to biopsy as that form of cancer. So I have been going through a battery of testing at RUSH in Chicago that determined I am in stage 3, maybe stage 4 if the cancer is in my bone marrow biopsy done today.

Because of my excellent health otherwise, I am encouraged by so many people around me that I will beat this, but the reality of my situation tells me maybe, maybe for a few years, maybe not. I told my wife of 46 years of marriage, that I should sell our Corvette, our motorhome, and our Jeep Liberty 4x4 that we tow behind the motorhome, to simplify life for my wife for if she becomes a single senior, but she says "No Way because you will be around for a very long time".....at least she feels that way today. But maybe one day, my wife will drive around in our Corvette with similar thoughts as the OP.

All my adult life I have been a person of deep religious convictions. I know where I am going when I check out. My God and Savior Jesus Christ will welcome me home, now likely sooner than later. In a strange way, I feel guilty because I am excitedly looking forward to that. Because I would be leaving my wife, my family, and all my Christian friends, in a strange way I march down the long road of fighting this disease more for the sake of them than for myself. Yes I would like to grow much older, but if not....oh well.
Good luck to you. Many prayers on your behalf.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:11 AM
qwazipsycho
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TexAg '87
Thank you, every one of you, for your heartfelt words and for sharing your own personal stories. My faith has remained strong throughout this journey and I know we will be together again someday. As far as her being with me when I drive, being my copilot, this image comes to mind often when I am out cruising. God Bless.

Great Pic. You need to attach that to your dash. All the best to you sir. Thank you for your story. It makes me appreciate what I have.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:19 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,118 Likes on 2,070 Posts

I cannot imagine how you feel. Thankfully you shared 48 wonderful years together and hold the memories of them. Such a wonderful photo of the two of you in the Corvette. I imagine it will take years to grieve her and I wish you comfort in those memories you hold. Sorry for your loss.
Mike
Old 05-17-2024, 06:35 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
I cannot imagine how you feel. Thankfully you shared 48 wonderful years together and hold the memories of them. Such a wonderful photo of the two of you in the Corvette. I imagine it will take years to grieve her and I wish you comfort in those memories you hold. Sorry for your loss.
Mike
I could not have said it better myself.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:36 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Originally Posted by qwazipsycho
Many prayers on your behalf.
Thank you so much.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:12 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,118 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer
I could not have said it better myself.
I wish you all of the best Ron. I am sorry to hear of your illness. You seem to have a lot of love and support around you. This is the best medicine along with a positive attitude and strong desire to fight which you seem to have. I hope the path you choose is the one with the best possible outcome. Keep the faith. Prayers sent.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:26 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
I wish you all of the best Ron. I am sorry to hear of your illness. You seem to have a lot of love and support around you. This is the best medicine along with a positive attitude and strong desire to fight which you seem to have. I hope the path you choose is the one with the best possible outcome. Keep the faith. Prayers sent.
Thank you so very much.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:13 AM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 848 Likes on 493 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My sincerest condolences! I try to put myself in other peoples places in similar situations such as yours. I will be married 50 years next year, and I just can't imagine the emotional trauma with losing a spouse, especially after as many years that you 2 were together. My prayers go forth to you. With many blessings for your road ahead!

Quick Reply: My Bittersweet Corvette Story