C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Return to idle very sloooow

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 03:42 AM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Throttle Body

Originally Posted by Internets_Ninja
Did you buy it brand new? Are you sure it doesn't have a ported throttle body installed?
Mine did the same thing when I changed my TB until I had it tuned.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:59 AM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyvette1
I am having a problem with the RPMs taking for ever to drop to idle after giving it a rev to 3000/3500 RPMs. Had a buddy over Sunday with his Z06 and his RPMs don’t hang up and they drop back to idle at a decent rate. I have a 2018 automatic that is stock. I tried to download a video for you all to see, but can’t seem to get it to work. I emailed Chevy a few videos and they confirmed it’s not right. However when I took it in they say they couldn’t get it to do it.... go figure. But it still does it for me most of the time. Also when driving, I blip the throttle and it takes off, but still accelerates for a brief second even after I let off the gas... Any thoughts or ideas I can throw at Chevy? Throttle body air leak?
My 2016 ZO6 M7, bone stock, does a similar thing, except the sudden drop below 2000 rpm does not happen. I have only observed it to occur when I am giving a "sound demonstration", not while driving. (Yes, very juvenile I know, but people request it sometimes.) Another strange syndrome is that sometimes my attempt at making noise results in no bark whatsoever, as if the exhaust valves were closed in silent mode. Since I have the fuse removed, I don't think they can be. I assume it is something the engine computer is doing. I have quit worrying about it. 34K miles now.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:25 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

On a 100% stock car: Vacuum leaks or post MAF air induction leaks are most likely

On a tuned car, the tune itself.

Last edited by atljar; 08-06-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:01 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by atljar
On a 100% stock car: Vacuum leaks or post MAF air induction leaks are most likely

On a tuned car, the tune itself.
My guess is a vacuum leak too. get a can of carb cleaner or starting fluid and spray it around your intake manifold an some of the vacuum line connections. If there is a leak your idle will change when you spray close to it.
The following users liked this post:
Oleman (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:24 PM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

My tuner thought I had a Vacuum leak as well until he saw how lean it was running with the TB change I made
Old 03-10-2022, 10:56 AM
ryryokeefe
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

16 C7Z M7 with same issue, since new/stock. Only mods are BMS filter and Katech ported TB — no tune.

Has anyone figured out the root cause before I go poking about?

So far I've got:
- If boost gauge returns quickly, it's likely not S/C or boost related.
- Check for change in idle by spraying carb cleaner/starting fluid on vacuum line connections.
- Could be caused by ported TB if not tuned (had issue before installing Katech ported TB).

Old 05-17-2024, 02:08 AM
artey34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the final fix to this?
Old 05-20-2024, 11:03 AM
Turbo_6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also noticed my 2015 Z does this. It's extremely annoying. I know these cars have heavy flywheels and so don't rev like an exotic but am hopeful that a future tune will resolve this. After reading this thread, I'm going to check to see if I have a ported TB or a vacuum leak also.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:39 PM
porreca1
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_6
I also noticed my 2015 Z does this. It's extremely annoying. I know these cars have heavy flywheels and so don't rev like an exotic but am hopeful that a future tune will resolve this. After reading this thread, I'm going to check to see if I have a ported TB or a vacuum leak also.
My 2015 Z does this. I bought a Soler ported TB in hopes it would get better, it did not. Mike@SolerEngr is on here and has some great CS. Due to this happening prior to the TB I have not brought it to them. I have only the canned Diablo tune and the issue was there prior to this as well. I am curious about something I saw on the HP Tuners forum if Chevy did something like this in the factory tables to protect the car:
Throttle follower is used as the throttle is opened and closed. It will adjust the responsiveness, AFAIK, as well. So a small tap of the gas may rev quicker with more down low. Too large of values in here can cause transient throttle issues, esp at low throttle.

There are no obvious vacuum leaks I have found, not sure where to start down that trail though...

Quick Reply: Return to idle very sloooow