C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 moves forward when in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 01:59 AM
rkthev
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 moves forward when in reverse.

I have a 2000 C5 Manual transmission. It currently has some wiring damage from pack rats. When I put it in reverse and let the clutch out it is moving forward. Is there something electrical like a solenoid that needs to engage for reverse gear that could be damaged?
Old 05-17-2024, 06:40 AM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 673 Likes on 540 Posts

There is a lockout solenoid that prevents the engagement of reverse, so you are probably in fifth. Sounds like you do need to correct some wiring. Some not so easily accessible wiring.
I have read that the solenoid can be overridden by greater force at the neutral gate, but would worry about the linkage.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:08 PM
Howdy_pard
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I had this issue. if you push hard (like, with both hands and braced against something hard) over you'll overcome the unpowered reverese lockout solenoid. I dealt with that for a week or two, but it's tough to actually get it *into* reverse so I replaced it. The swap isn't too bad, just awkward.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 moves forward when in reverse.

Quick Reply: C5 moves forward when in reverse.