C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C3 TH350 rattles on gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 07:30 AM
simoneq
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette C3 TH350 rattles on gear

Hi!
Lately a disturbing rattle has appeared that sounds like it's coming from automatic transmission or flex plate.
I've troubles inspecting the flex plate due to headers that are in way of removing the dust cover..

It happens after car warms up (I think), only in gear (so excl. P and N) and it seems like road bumps can amplify it or even cause it to start.

I've uploaded a video - please tell me what you think? Am I in big trouble or is it just probably loose flex plate bolt or starter bendix in way?

All the best!
Simon
Attached Files
Old 05-17-2024, 06:30 AM
simoneq
4th Gear

bump
Old 05-17-2024, 08:38 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,780 Likes on 2,878 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I see you bumped your thread while still on the front page! Hang in there Mate! The weekend is coming and activity generally goes up on the weekend.
I have no Bloody idea. I just wouldn't have a automatic. But one would think you should pull a header or 2 and get that dust shield off for a look.
I can't hear it. You can.
I clicked on your thing! It made a download that I can not play or delete! I am NOT happy !

Last edited by 4-vettes; 05-17-2024 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:44 AM
Eric P
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 298 Posts

Possibly the flex plate is cracked , they do break around the mounting bolt circle, part is inexpensive but requires the transmission removal or slid back a few inches
The following users liked this post:
simoneq (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 10:41 AM
simoneq
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
I see you bumped your thread while still on the front page! Hang in there Mate! The weekend is coming and activity generally goes up on the weekend.
I have no Bloody idea. I just wouldn't have a automatic. But one would think you should pull a header or 2 and get that dust shield off for a look.
I can't hear it. You can.
I clicked on your thing! It made a download that I can not play or delete! I am NOT happy !
Where to start.. Thank you for a friendly welcome Sorry for impatience - I thought my post got lost already.

Regarding the file. I wasn't content either (to say the least) that the forum didn't accept my .mp4 without being converted to .wmv / .avi - but I checked a couple of times if the uploaded file works. Seemed alright. Next time I will upload a video to youtube and paste a link.
Your answer may suggest that others also may have troubles viewing the video.. and without that my post is pointless No wonder there were many views but no replies. Believe me - that's irritating for both of us.
But honestly, I do not know why you cannot delete the file :-|

PS
I'd probably also prefer a manual. But we do not have a lot of these cars in central europe.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:44 AM
simoneq
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Eric P
Possibly the flex plate is cracked , they do break around the mounting bolt circle, part is inexpensive but requires the transmission removal or slid back a few inches
Would it show / get worse after a warm-up or only in gears? (difference in torque converter's resistance?)
Old 05-17-2024, 07:03 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,780 Likes on 2,878 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Sorry I blew up. I did finally get the download off. But was never able to view the video.
I do really believe your just going to have to remove whatever is necessary to get a good look at the situation.
Flex plates do crack. Yes it could make more noise as it heats up and parts expand.
The following users liked this post:
simoneq (05-18-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C3 TH350 rattles on gear

Quick Reply: Corvette C3 TH350 rattles on gear