C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

Lingenfelter's new 600+HP C8 head & cam package!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 05:48 PM
Kayvon D
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Lingenfelter's new 600+HP C8 head & cam package!

This looks to be a decent deal considering it's a complete and tested package with tuning INSTALLED by probably the most reputable tuner outside of GM itself (which a plaque on the motor after it's build)

- Kev

Lingenfelter Eliminator Spec C8 LT2 Corvette 600+ Horsepower Heads & Camshaft Package Installed
The following users liked this post:
PhoenixM3 (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 03:11 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Would this engine be just as reliable as stock in road course track? Power looks great of course, but I fear how reliable these engines with cam upgrades would be for the track use : (
Old 05-17-2024, 06:18 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 634 Likes on 476 Posts

If this is for the just head/cam install, it's a bit on the pricey side. With all the add ons you would be reaching the supercharger territory cost. Bolt-ons with tune E85 setup would be close to 600 flywheel horsepower......just don't cost as much. Again, would like to see some track numbers.

Last edited by Fore58; 05-17-2024 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:13 PM
Kayvon D
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fore58
If this is for the just head/cam install, it's a bit on the pricey side. With all the add ons you would reaching the supercharger territory cost. Bolt-ons with tune E85 setup would be close to 600 flywheel horsepower......just don't cost as much. Again, would like to see some track numbers.
To be honest I believe "600+HP refers to a general range one can expect, and if the history is any indicator, Lingenfelter packages & mods real-world HP comes out to the higher side of things as they understate the performance of their packages. I'd be surprised if their package made less than 550RWHP on 93oct pump fuel and 600WHP on E85 on a dynojet.

Originally Posted by X25
Would this engine be just as reliable as stock in road course track? Power looks great of course, but I fear how reliable these engines with cam upgrades would be for the track use : (
I wouldn't be surprised if their package wouldn't actually be MORE reliable for road course work than factory considering their builds also rectify the crank case ventilation issue caused during constant high rpm racing. They do this by installing vent tubes from the crankcase to the valley on their builds.

- Kev
Old 05-17-2024, 12:16 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

I hear you, but most of the engine failures from Corvettes at the track that I see are usually from cammed cars. It always made me fear these mods.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:24 PM
Kayvon D
Intermediate

Originally Posted by X25
I hear you, but most of the engine failures from Corvettes at the track that I see are usually from cammed cars. It always made me fear these mods.
Well, the quality of the valvetrain components (i.e. rockers, retainers, springs, etc) along with the competence of the techs installing and calibrating them is very important for serious road course work. Both of which are second to none at a builder like Lingenfelter engineering. Furthermore, temperature and heat management is naturally far superior on a well sorted N/A build than any TT or S/C for road coursing.
I'd personally get the build installed and tuned AT Lingenfelter to ensure the quality of their build if you want to play it safe.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:48 PM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 505 Likes on 301 Posts
Default Based on the description, yes

Originally Posted by X25
It sounds like it's an improvement over stock in everything.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:08 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

The big glaring question is the additional stress of more aggressive camshaft profile. GM has a so called hot cam for LS engines as some of you would recall, and actually the 535 HP spec GM LS3 crate engine comes with it if I recall correctly. This cam has been joked about by many aftermarket companies, but in the end of the day, cars with that cam did not fail, while many engines with other aftermarket cams did. I've emailed Lingenfelter about this kit last week and asked similar questions. They have not yet gotten back to me, but here's hoping they do : )
Old 05-19-2024, 06:47 PM
Kayvon D
Intermediate

Originally Posted by X25
The big glaring question is the additional stress of more aggressive camshaft profile. GM has a so called hot cam for LS engines as some of you would recall, and actually the 535 HP spec GM LS3 crate engine comes with it if I recall correctly. This cam has been joked about by many aftermarket companies, but in the end of the day, cars with that cam did not fail, while many engines with other aftermarket cams did. I've emailed Lingenfelter about this kit last week and asked similar questions. They have not yet gotten back to me, but here's hoping they do : )
Please keep us updated when they do. I'm sure you/we'll get the details we are looking for from their team.
gt350GA (05-29-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 06:09 PM
Kayvon D
Intermediate

Out of curiosity, has any C8 owner ran a heads and cam'ed car on a 1/4 mile track yet? I'd be very curious to see how well it performs compared to the entry-level FI S/C'er kits available..
Old 05-20-2024, 08:28 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,245 Likes on 784 Posts

I bet it makes 490 wheel on 91 on a dynojet with all the options.
Eshoremd (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 11:01 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,230 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Compared to the more aggressive lobes available from Comp Cams and others, the LS1 Hot Cam had lower lift and lazier ramp rates. It left a fair amount of power on the table in exchange for being gentler on the springs.

Lingenfelter loves the big splits on their cams. That seemed to make sense for the few people who cammed an LS1 with a stock exhaust, but I would trade a few degrees of exhaust duration for intake duration on the cam they propose.

To be honest I believe "600+HP refers to a general range one can expect, and if the history is any indicator, Lingenfelter packages & mods real-world HP comes out to the higher side of things as they understate the performance of their packages. I'd be surprised if their package made less than 550RWHP on 93oct pump fuel and 600WHP on E85 on a dynojet.
​​​​​​
I haven't seen what they produce with the LT1, but I don't think they blew anyone away with their NA LS1, 2, or 3 packages. Best feature was they held their resale value better than a well designed package installed by an unknown shop. Assuming a stock C8 starts with 440 RWP, it seems a stretch to think they will add 110 RWHP with heads and a cam and no intake or exhaust supporting mods. 550 RWHP would be sweet - hope they get it.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:07 PM
Performance nut
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts

I'd rather do the 427 package personally. Go big or go home
Old 05-22-2024, 04:45 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 634 Likes on 476 Posts

Average head/cam without other mods are between 40 and 60 rwhp......that's it. But most people including myself which I have done several times would add headers, intake....etc to reach that 100 rwhp..
Old 05-22-2024, 08:17 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Lingenfelter replied to me today, and stated their 427 forged bottom motor would be the fit for track use:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...-engine-build/

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...e#.Zk48YHbMKUk

I wish this could be a bit cheaper, though: (
Old 05-22-2024, 10:32 PM
Performance nut
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Lingenfelter replied to me today, and stated their 427 forged bottom motor would be the fit for track use:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...-engine-build/

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...e#.Zk48YHbMKUk

I wish this could be a bit cheaper, though: (
I was wondering that. Honestly it looks stout but the numbers have me curious about heat at the track. Stock engine pulls timing because of heat. I'm wondering how 200 more ponies would affect the heat management.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:13 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Performance nut
I was wondering that. Honestly it looks stout but the numbers have me curious about heat at the track. Stock engine pulls timing because of heat. I'm wondering how 200 more ponies would affect the heat management.
I already have the 4th radiator (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1606981004), but it would be nice if I could run with stock headers for under the hood heat management, as well as sound limits. Looks like it does run fine with stock headers, etc. without much of an impact on HP numbers, though : )

Reliability is a concern of course, but also the price is very steep at $30K. I wish it could be more around $20K, which would be easier to stomach!

Get notified of new replies

To Lingenfelter's new 600+HP C8 head & cam package!

Old 05-25-2024, 11:15 AM
Kayvon D
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cordes Performance Racing
I bet it makes 490 wheel on 91 on a dynojet with all the options.
I'd be shocked if this package made anything less than the low 500whp+ on the lower 91oct tune. (WITHOUT the additional options) Much lesser tuners have achieved better #'s than that and Lingenfelter is among the best in the business and always underrate their builds.

X25, did the rep at LPE you spoke to mention anything about their 600+HP package? Is there a particular reason he punted you up to the 700HP ($30K) build instead of the 600HP one for the track?

- Kev
Old 05-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,245 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayvon D
I'd be shocked if this package made anything less than the low 500whp+ on the lower 91oct tune. (WITHOUT the additional options) Much lesser tuners have achieved better #'s than that and Lingenfelter is among the best in the business and always underrate their builds.

X25, did the rep at LPE you spoke to mention anything about their 600+HP package? Is there a particular reason he punted you up to the 700HP ($30K) build instead of the 600HP one for the track?

- Kev
I'll let you in on a secret. A LOT of shops are full of crap. This market is identical to early C7s with outlandish claims. Shops are claiming high 600 wheel with nothing else but turbos on pump gas. Not happening in any way shape or form. The NA stuff I know what they will do because I've done it. I think if you truly swung for it milled heads, did a cam you were willing to lose some low speed drivability, retrofitted an msd intake (the ptr sucks) and on E85 540 wheel is doable. You can't rev these out past 6500 so going to large on the cam will lose you out on the much needed extra rpm to let a bigger cam shine. So you are stuck with something in the 220-223 range intake duration. That is only going to make so much.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 05-25-2024, 02:45 PM
Kayvon D
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cordes Performance Racing
I'll let you in on a secret. A LOT of shops are full of crap.
There are many dyno's, both video and photos posted all over the internet and on these forums displaying 540-560rwhp without E85. Are they full of **** too? Lingenfelter Performance Engineering has been around for decades and as far as reputation is concerned there are no outfit out there right now with more resources or as credible. They've helped prepared many NASCAR team motors and gave input for many IMSA endurance racing OHV race engines as well.

I DO agree that they're many BS'ers out there as well thou, fly-by-night "tuning houses" or outright BS'ers. The 600RWHP N/A claim by the 'Boost District' running only pump gas for example I believe is an out-and-out lie... I suspect they calibrated their *load bearing* dyno to cook the graph/WHP numbers... but not everyone engages in these shenanigans.

Btw, I've asked Boost District to post a video of that car doing a pull on a Dynojet 248c non-load bearing dyno to no avail... :/

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter's new 600+HP C8 head & cam package!