C8 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace

Exhaust Options - GM or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 07:43 AM
btkrausen
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust Options - GM or Aftermarket?

GM has a 25% off purchases of $900 or more, and I was looking at the Borla exhaust offered for the Stingray. I have the Z51 Performance exhaust already, but I am wondering how much of a difference this is as compared to an aftermarket option. I want my exhaust to be deeper and louder but not obnoxious. Even after the discount, it's just short of $5k, including shipping and installation, but it would keep my exhaust under warranty, especially since I only have just over 600 miles on the car.

I couldn't find much when searching on this outside of an older thread, and there don't seem to be any videos.

Do you think this is worth it or should I go aftermarket?
Old 05-17-2024, 07:51 AM
dman918
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

It doesn't seem like a really substantial difference, and at the cost, I'd much rather go with a quality aftermarket option.
The following users liked this post:
Fishfryer527 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 07:53 AM
btkrausen
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dman918
It doesn't seem like a really substantial difference, and at the cost, I'd much rather go with a quality aftermarket option.
Thank you. This is exactly what I was thinking and worrying about. If I spent this much, would it make a noticeable difference, or would I just want to upgrade again, wasting that money?
Old 05-17-2024, 11:32 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

I had NPP and just install a Corsa (sport?) system on mine. So much better. Only thing that sucks is every time it goes in the V4 mode the car gets quiet as hell. Loud quiet, loud quiet...

Really wishing I could disable AFM right now. It did it with the stock also but it's more noticeable with a louder aftermarket exhaust.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:36 AM
btkrausen
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Orion2011
I had NPP and just install a Corsa (sport?) system on mine. So much better. Only thing that sucks is every time it goes in the V4 mode the car gets quiet as hell. Loud quiet, loud quiet...

Really wishing I could disable AFM right now. It did it with the stock also but it's more noticeable with a louder aftermarket exhaust.
You're not sure what exhaust you put on yours? haha.

I see you're in Shelbyville - I'm just in Bardstown! Nice
Old 05-17-2024, 12:57 PM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by btkrausen
You're not sure what exhaust you put on yours? haha.

I see you're in Shelbyville - I'm just in Bardstown! Nice
I'm sure I didn't put the Corsa Extreme system on. What I'm not sure about is if they call mine Sport or something else.

I have the one with the mufflers, the extreme is just pipes.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:09 PM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Looks like the just call it "Variable Sound". On my C6 they called it Coras Sport and Corsa Extreme.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:13 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 6,010 Likes on 3,042 Posts

Here's a thread last active just a few days ago on exactly what you're looking for: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...est-stock.html

You should find this post of particular interest:
Originally Posted by 2wsxcde3
I did the same thing last year when it was on sale. I went with the carbon fiber tips. Only thing I added was the Blue Attack air filter. I think it sounds great, definitely louder and no CEL. Other biggie is Im still under warranty. Not sure how much power was achieved but the tack seems to move quicker on the top end and seat of the pants seems slightly quicker. Performance exhaust sounded OK but this is much better. Any louder and it would be annoying. Everyone has their tolerances for noise so if you have a chance to listen to others I suggest you do that. Bottom line sounds awesome when you step on it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2024, 04:19 PM
btkrausen
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kracka
Here's a thread last active just a few days ago on exactly what you're looking for: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...est-stock.html

You should find this post of particular interest:
Oh, I'm familiar with the search feature and Google, haha. But, yeah, that's the only thread I found on this exhaust, and I was hoping to find additional opinions. From what I can tell, it doesn't seem like it's very popular.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:20 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 6,010 Likes on 3,042 Posts

Originally Posted by btkrausen
Oh, I'm familiar with the search feature and Google, haha. But, yeah, that's the only thread I found on this exhaust, and I was hoping to find additional opinions. From what I can tell, it doesn't seem like it's very popular.
I have it, but my opinion is irrelevant here since I also have headers + cats

A buddy of mine (local) had the Borla S-Type installed on his 2022 and his fiancee's 2023, but said he wishes he would have gone with the GM version instead but it was backordered at the time and he didn't want to wait. His words...just passing them along.

In order of popularity of the Borlas, at least on this site & YouTube, I'd unscientifically rank them:
  1. ATAK
  2. S-Type
  3. GM

Last edited by Kracka; 05-17-2024 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:27 PM
btkrausen
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kracka
I have it, but my opinion is irrelevant here since I also have headers + cats

A buddy of mine (local) had the Borla S-Type installed on his 2022 and his fiancee's 2023, but said he wishes he would have gone with the GM version instead but it was backordered at the time and he didn't want to wait. His words...just passing them along.
Awesome, much appreciated. I need to find somebody with it installed. I don't know many people with C8s around here. I need to hit up the local group in Louisville.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Options - GM or Aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Options - GM or Aftermarket?