Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'85 lost headlights and dash cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 09:09 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Default '85 lost headlights and dash cluster?

Hey everyone - I feel kinda bad because i am way late getting my '85 out on the road - i have been checking things and went to take it out last week on one of the intermittent nice days Ohio has given - started up the car and no dash cluster - usually a light tap wakes it up and we are ready to roll - no luck - then i thought maybe i moved the dimmer switch and forgot to move it back (the odd things we think of) - no - and the lights did not raise either now i was getting confused - lights all around the outside work - no dash lights and no pop on the pop up lights - a quick look at the fuses looked fine, i thought maybe an issue with the switch but all of the lights came on - just did not activate the motors for the lights and the dash/console lights did not work - i could see the display working just not lit - i feel like i am missing something glaringly obvious - but i do not know what would connect those 2 all of a sudden - ? - one search mentioned a tail light issue but both were on and the radio and antenna worked as well.

any thoughts ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sean
Old 05-16-2024, 07:34 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

any connection with these two to the light switch itself - i am going to try to check a few grounds this weekend see if that helps - just really threw me off with both at the same time
Old 05-17-2024, 04:04 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

thanks very much

i wondered if there or how there would be a connection between the 2 - feel like it's more coincidental -
the headlights do come on - no pop up --fortunately or unfortunately - i did an upgrade kit on the headlights last year - like this but from corvette central i think

https://www.zip-corvette.com/84-87-h...t-car-set.html

changed to 2 modules - i will look to see how the yellow wire is connected there -

i will hopefully get 2 minutes to start looking at the dash as well - see if there is a loose connection or signs of "burning". otherwise it may be change the dash time or see what batee has to say - expensive adventure there -

thanks again for some direction really appreciate it
Old 05-19-2024, 08:32 PM
sb66
Burning Brakes

just for the heck of it - swapped out fuses no luck (hate to say all I had time to get to) - i will say the headlight motors move freely by hand - but make no sound or even feel like they are trying anything - i am guessing no power to them - that will be my next check with meter

the dash is working - i can put a light to it and see all of the gauges doing their thing - but they are not lighting up at all - so not sure if that is the power source , photocell, or connector inside -

Get notified of new replies

To '85 lost headlights and dash cluster?

Quick Reply: '85 lost headlights and dash cluster?