C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column Lock Harness K Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Just Enough
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Column Lock Harness K Installation

I thought I would repost this from a thread in the general section so others could benefit from what I have learned through installing harness K on my 02 Z06.
A little history, yesterday I installed harness K on my 2002 Z06, Start the engine column unlocks, stop the engine and pull the key column locks. This morning I dissasemble the lower dash again and start the car the column unlocks, I then unplug the harness K actuator wire while the engine is still running, (two wires in a four wire plug) then stop the engine and pull the key, the column doesn't lock. Reassemble and take a 20 mile drive with several start and stops pulling the key. No error lights and no column locking.
Conclusion, I think that harness K is basically simulating a column lock actuator in the event of an actuator failure. The two wires leading from the harness K in the four wire plug (to the locking mechanism) enable the actuator to lock and retract, the missing two wires I believe are position indicators (pin retracted, pin projected). Harness K simulates the position indication isolated from what is going on if anything with the locking actuator. I feel reasonably certain that using harness K in this manner will eliminate a unreversable electrical locking and pull key and wait error message. Vibratory locking is a whole other issue, but I feel the chances of vibration causing the locking pin to deploy are very slim.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Enough
I thought I would repost this from a thread in the general section so others could benefit from what I have learned through installing harness K on my 02 Z06.
A little history, yesterday I installed harness K on my 2002 Z06, Start the engine column unlocks, stop the engine and pull the key column locks. This morning I dissasemble the lower dash again and start the car the column unlocks, I then unplug the harness K actuator wire while the engine is still running, (two wires in a four wire plug) then stop the engine and pull the key, the column doesn't lock. Reassemble and take a 20 mile drive with several start and stops pulling the key. No error lights and no column locking.
Conclusion, I think that harness K is basically simulating a column lock actuator in the event of an actuator failure. The two wires leading from the harness K in the four wire plug (to the locking mechanism) enable the actuator to lock and retract, the missing two wires I believe are position indicators (pin retracted, pin projected). Harness K simulates the position indication isolated from what is going on if anything with the locking actuator. I feel reasonably certain that using harness K in this manner will eliminate a unreversable electrical locking and pull key and wait error message. Vibratory locking is a whole other issue, but I feel the chances of vibration causing the locking pin to deploy are very slim.
Exactly.. The important item to note here is if you do not install the "blocking-type" locking plate in the steering wheel, and you hook up the stock CL to the harness-K output, you still run the risk of the CL locking and stranding you! Just retract the stock CL (like you would on a CLB install), and don't hook up the second set of CL wires to the stock lock.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to install the CLB and don't know if my 2002 coupe 6 spd but I need to remove the K Harness. To ID the K harness I was told to look for a female connector and follow it back to a relay, follow the wires from the other side of the relay and remove it. Is the connector with the two wires hooked up to anything? I don't even know if my car has a K harness installed. I installed the LMC5R and don't get the service column lock message or lock but get the pull key message allot. Any help with my questions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Damon's C5
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default column lock

I just read your thread..I'm assuming by now you have figured it out. I was wondering what u had to do. I'm fighting the same issue and my vette has been down since Friday February 8th 2013. I just found out that the recall was done in 2003 prior to the purchase of my C5 coupe. I talked to a vette tech today and he said chances are when they performed the recall that they didn't remove the lock plate inside the column..then he said if I locate the K harness under the knee bolster on driver side to remove it and plug the "other" wires back together and it should unlock my column...and then purchase the CLB (column lock bypass) to prevent it from ever happening again. I love my C5 as all us vette lovers love our cars and I'm just looking for some pointers on what maybe you had to do. I'm new to the forum and everyone has beenvery helpful thus far. Sorry to be long winded..I'm just a little confused on what to do and don't wanna shell out a grand or more if its something I can do myself.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Jumper11
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This just in. I've installed both LMC5 and LMC5R. No longer have the SCL issue mostly because the relay isn't in the circuit. I have experienced the Pull Key message and the 2mph shut off with both mods installed. The 2 mph shut off has to be tuned out. Find someone with a tuner so they can reprogram your PCM and set the cut off to 250 mph. As for my issue I had a oil pressure sender problem and I disconnected the battery for 2 days. Did the unrelated maintenance and reconnected the battery. Now for the last 3 days I haven't had the pull key message and the car is working fine. Richard from compliance has sent me a jumper wire and I will incorporate it if I start getting the pull key crap again. So far so good.

Get notified of new replies

To Column Lock Harness K Installation

Quick Reply: Column Lock Harness K Installation