C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else seeing this radio phenomena?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:59 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Poor Reception on AM and FM - kw antenna radio #PIC3339 - (Jan 17, 2005)
2005 Chevrolet Corvette Poor Reception on AM and FM

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may have a concern of poor reception on AM and FM bands of the radio.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If after normal diagnosis a concern cannot be found. Check the connectors at the left side antenna module and make sure that connector C1 and C2 connectors are in their proper location. The C2 connector can be identified by a green connector and should be installed in the top of the module. The module will have the letter " G " stamped on the module with a arrow pointing to the position where the C2 connector (green in color ) should be installed.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:17 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default AM/FM reception is scratchy fades in and out

Lots of static.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:37 AM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

I have Nav, XM, and Onstar. I have the static problem at times when going to FM from (usually) CD. It is promply cured by switching to AM and then back to FM. There were early posts giving this "cure". I have not been back to the dealer yet. I plan to ask for them to check when I go back.

Jim
Old 01-27-2005, 10:40 AM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by March
I am happy to report my FM static problem is gone. I just returned from the dealer who replaced "Antenna Modules" in the rear of the car and reception sounds normal. These can be replaced in minutes. Last night before sending the car in I tried the switch to AM to see if that cleared the problem and it did. When I shut the car off and turned the FM on without switching to AM the problem contiued. I can finally listen to FM now. For those who did not see my post yesterday I have NAV no XM.
Thanks for the followup!!!
Old 01-27-2005, 10:46 AM
digbyamb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have noticed that when I scroll through my DIC (mileage, trip, information) every time I hit the reset button I loose my left front speaker. I have the Nav radio, this is consistent and happens every time.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:37 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by digbyamb
I have noticed that when I scroll through my DIC (mileage, trip, information) every time I hit the reset button I loose my left front speaker. I have the Nav radio, this is consistent and happens every time.
I have that too. I think the beep overides and comes through on the driver's side speakers. Not sure if it is a problem. There was another thread on this and someone said that with an aftermarket radio they lost the beep from the DIC reset but they also lost the "cut out" of the drivers side speakers!
Old 01-27-2005, 03:03 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Nav, XM and Onstar and no problem.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:07 PM
antoniopaolo
Drifting

Originally Posted by jazzlove
I have not had the problem yet on my C6. It has the nav system, so far, no gliches. The radio gets great reception.

no problem here yet.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Hamzat
Instructor

Originally Posted by C-5 TECH
2005 Chevrolet Corvette Poor Reception on AM and FM - kw antenna radio #PIC3339 - (Jan 17, 2005)
2005 Chevrolet Corvette Poor Reception on AM and FM

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may have a concern of poor reception on AM and FM bands of the radio.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If after normal diagnosis a concern cannot be found. Check the connectors at the left side antenna module and make sure that connector C1 and C2 connectors are in their proper location. The C2 connector can be identified by a green connector and should be installed in the top of the module. The module will have the letter " G " stamped on the module with a arrow pointing to the position where the C2 connector (green in color ) should be installed.

Anything new on this issue? I have a very late build and I just picked up the car yesterday. All of my FM stations have static. I have nav, and xm. So I've just been listening to XM for now. I would hate to give my car to service this early but I will if there is a known fix. Has the above solution worked for anyone? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Derail
Racer

Originally Posted by bd041556
Ok, here's a weird one. On my C6, which I picked up about two weeks ago, I notice that when I switch from CD to FM, my reception is pretty bad - lots of fuzz and static on every FM station. If I switch to AM for just a few seconds and then to FM, reception is fine. It's got the navigation system.

I know it sounds weird, but that's what I'm seeing, and it's pretty reproducible.

Overall, I really like the car. It's LMB with 1SB, Z51 and the abovementioned navigation system. My only real complaint is that the paint has an intolerable degree of orange peel, the worst of any car of the long list I've ever owned. I'm taking it in to a local body shop to see if they can wet sand and buff it out.

bjb

Exact same thing for me. Just figured this out this morning on the way to work. Must be an antenna switch.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:43 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sirchristopher
I suspect the problem is with the nav system--possibly the location of the nav system antena.
Not likely. If that were the case, switching to AM and back wouldn't help. There is likely an active switch network to reconfigure the antenna array for AM or FM (they need to be different). This network doesn't always select the FM mode correctly. I don't know if the switching takes place in the head unit, but I'd guess that's the case (it happens with the nav head unit). There is probably a fix for this if only GM would work the issue.

Just my old engineering background coming out.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:50 PM
anothercrisis
Burning Brakes

Ok, here's a weird one. On my C6, which I picked up about two weeks ago, I notice that when I switch from CD to FM, my reception is pretty bad - lots of fuzz and static on every FM station. If I switch to AM for just a few seconds and then to FM, reception is fine. It's got the navigation system.

I know it sounds weird, but that's what I'm seeing, and it's pretty reproducible.

Overall, I really like the car. It's LMB with 1SB, Z51 and the abovementioned navigation system. My only real complaint is that the paint has an intolerable degree of orange peel, the worst of any car of the long list I've ever owned. I'm taking it in to a local body shop to see if they can wet sand and buff it out.

bjb
I have exactly this problem. There was a very early post on the "cure" of switching to AM then back. I do this now when I notice the reception is bad. I will mention it when I take the car in for something more major, but I expect I will hear....."unable to reproduce the problem...bs...bs...bs..."

Jim
Old 03-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Hamzat
Instructor

I did the AM to FM switch and it sounds fine now. I guess I'll do that until I hear of a solid fix.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by ezC6
Those with XM do not seem to have this problem.

I have XM and NAV and have not had the problem.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Eaglepilot
3rd Gear

I also have the same problem with static on the FM (NAV, no XM) and everytime I select AM and reselect FM it clears the static completely. Will see if the dealer can replace the antenna module or upload a new updated software load for the NAV/Radio.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Hamzat
Instructor

This problem is driving me nuts! Please let me know if anyone has had success in fixing this problem and what was done. I don't want to waste time taking it to the dealer until there is a known fix.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:30 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Fm reception isn't the best. That is why I listen to the CD's.

bjb

The orange peel on the C-6 is pretty bad mine being Arctic White may not be as bad as some other colors.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else seeing this radio phenomena?

Old 03-29-2005, 04:44 PM
ezC6
Instructor

I had a thread on this a while back. I had the same problem (Nav, no XM, static on FM but clears up when switching to AM and back to FM). I had my car in for service and the radio has improved tremendously (after quite a bit of headache with the dealer). They told me that they checked all the grounds, antenna module, etc and everything seemed fine. In the end they put in a redundant ground (I did not get more details than that) and this cleared my static problem. This was not a fix in any GM bulletins, according to the dealer.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:03 PM
BIGBUCKSBUSA
Intermediate

<---- Have EXACT same problem - Going to try your remedy later
Old 03-30-2005, 10:14 AM
BIGBUCKSBUSA
Intermediate

I'll be damned

ezC6 - Tried your remedy on the way to work today - Worked just as you said

Thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone else seeing this radio phenomena?