C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the complaints from those who actually own a C6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 05:55 AM
resmith23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hum at 70 mph

My C6 automatic, with 3.15 axil, has a distint humming sound right at 70 to 71 mph. Need to be on smooth road to really hear it. Took a dealer tech. with me for a ride and he told me c5 vettes some times had such a sound at certain speeds; he had had much experieince with C6 vettes, but not surprided since both have transmission in rear. He didn't think I needed to be concerned about it. I do have a 7 - 70 warranty. What do any of you think about this?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:39 AM
INTRUBL
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by StanNH
I'll have my own C6 very soon, and I've been active on this forum for several weeks now. It's apparent that the car is very controversial, especially among previous Vette owners. It's also been painfully obvious that many users of this forum are more than willing to explain exactly why they don't like the car...which is fine. Many of the frequent complaints listed, however, are not coming from people who own or, in many cases, have even driven a C6.

My concern is not with the styling...you either love it, hate it, or don't care one way or the other. That's just too subjective to really bother with. Those of us who have one on order, or already are driving one, obviously love it. I do, however, wonder about the other comments being made. Specifically:

1. The high beam headlights are awful.
2. The upgraded Bose sound system is very poor.
3. FM radio reception is poor.
4. The car is fuel sensitive and will light the "check engine" light with some brands of gas. (defective FSU?).
5. Rear visibility is poor.
6. The brakes squeal.
7. Door latches are difficult to use and require a strong squeeze.
8. Tight cockpit with cramped headroom.
9. Intermittent electrical glitches, including possible bad Delco batteries.
10. Side view mirrors retain water.

I'm not listing the orange peel complaint since that's not unique to the C6 and is a cosmetic, rather than functional, issue. I'll add that I've driven Dwight's (Juiceman) PR C6 and had nothing but praise for the car, the comfort, and the performance. I even thought the stereo sounded good.

Now, for those of you who already are driving a C6...how does your experience, so far, relate to the many complaints and negative observations that have been posted by others? It seems that many of the problems that I'm reading about are second and third hand reports. I'll have my C6 soon and will be able to make my own observations...but not yet. Are there any systemic first year problems showing up, or are the issues being reported just isolated glitches?

Thanks for any input.

Stan
No car is perfect, I own a C5 and most of these little problems have been talked about in C5 general. On the other hand, look what you are getting, power and performance not equaled in its price range. Just read peoples first impressions about our cars, very few focus on the minor problems and can't believe the "bang for the buck". I will be stepping into a C6 in the future, looking forward to all the improvements. Good luck
Old 02-24-2005, 07:02 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stan,

You got me confused Man. I thought you already owned a C6, and had now for 2 - 3 months. You've been posting on this forum as an owner for a lot longer than "several weeks".

As to your complaints, I agree with everything Tracy said in her reply to you, right down the line.

I really love my C6. It's the nicest, fastest, most comfortable vette of the 5 I've owned.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:10 AM
barney
Racer

4600 miles, 0 complaints, o problems.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:14 AM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAYC6
Hi Stan... I will attempt to give you my opinion on the issues you have listed... First of all... forum's in general tend to focus on the negative items more than the positive at times... especially during the beginning of production... Then you have some that like to start issues, that are not issues just to stir the pot...then you have realistic observations from actual owners.... My observations with your concerns are: ................... I love my C6.. more than any other generation so far... the car is amazing.. I cant say enough good about it.... They have done well with this car... my only issues were my polished wheels, which I have switched out... and I hope the XM antenna is integrated next year... Ive accepted mine and have gotten used to it.... so Im fine with it now... it was a necessary evil to get something I enjoy... otherwise... I hope many of you get the experience in owning one ... its something else...
TRAYC6 well stated personal observations! My experience and feeling mirror yours!
Old 02-24-2005, 07:28 AM
Near Miss
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

The smell? I love the smell of new fiberglass and leather.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Greystone
Instructor

I'm absolutely in love with this car, but I do have one little complaint. I read a lot of complaints about the crummy steering wheel, and I thought these people needed to get a life. Always looked fine to me. But after driving it 600 miles home from the Museum, I found the steering wheel to be uncomfortable unless my hands were at the 10 - 2 o'clock positions. My truck has a 4 spoke steering wheel, and I expected the C6 to be similar. Isn't at all. Most of the time I like to hold the wheel with my left hand somewhere in the 6 - 9 o'clock position, but I just couldn't find a comfortable spot in that area. But what the heck, it's still a tiny price to pay for such a super car! I'll get used to it!!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 08:34 AM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

My biggest complaint is that mine's been in the shop for 9 DAYS due to the Crank Pully failure.

As far as headroom goes, I totally disagree. I'm 6'5" and purchased only the transparent top. There is at least 1" of clearance above me. Naturally, the painted top offers less room due to the lining.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:54 AM
PrecisionC6
Racer

1. The high beam headlights are awful.
Had mine adjusted, upward, no problem, now
2. The upgraded Bose sound system is very poor.
Good system - needs a boost
3. FM radio reception is poor.
I've had no problem
4. The car is fuel sensitive and will light the "check engine" light with some brands of gas. (defective FSU?).
No Problem what this
5. Rear visibility is poor.
Not a problem
6. The brakes squeal.
Nope
7. Door latches are difficult to use and require a strong squeeze.
Love em
8. Tight cockpit with cramped headroom.
6'1" - No problem
9. Intermittent electrical glitches, including possible bad Delco batteries.
None
10. Side view mirrors retain water.
Haven't noticed
Old 02-24-2005, 09:11 AM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by barney
4600 miles, 0 complaints, o problems.
1350 miles

Only negitive is my wife's b1tch1ng that 30 min errands take 2+ hours
Old 02-24-2005, 09:19 AM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Lawman31
My wife retains water........ So what !!! At least your mirors don't complain when you drive too fast.....

OH Man I can relate to that
Old 02-24-2005, 11:11 AM
LEXUS430
Racer

Default C6 Problems

I'VE BEEN DRIVING MY C5 SINCE OCT 1.I DON'T THINK THE HIGH BEAMS ARE AWFUL THEY'RE JUST A DULLER WHITE THAN THE REGULAR LIGHTS BUT WORK JUST FINE,I DON'T HEVEANT HEAD ROOM PROBLEM I'M NOT A MIDGET OR A GIANT 5' 11',THE FNM RECEPTION IS AS GOOD AS IN ANY CAR BUT I LISTEN TO XM MOSTLY,VISIBILITY IS FINE,MY BRAKES DON'T SQUEAL i've got over 2000 miles on the car,the door handles are a pleasure to use,no electrical glitches. my car hasn't been out in the rain enough for the mirrors to retain water. that should cover all the points.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:19 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default You have all been HAD

Stan,
You really like stirring the pot. Heck, you're had your C6 since Christ Left Chicago.

I smell a

Bad Stanley NO DOGNUT (sp?)
Old 02-24-2005, 11:56 AM
redvetteC6
Drifting

Location: Huntington Beach Ca 1 out of 4 Americans are mentally unstable, so if 3 of your friends are OK . . . .
St. Jude Donor '05

One, don't get to drive it enough.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by redvetteC6
One, don't get to drive it enough.
Somehow, I seem to forget things when I go to the store and have to go back again.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:17 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

My only complaint with the one I drove is the exaust was to quite but that can be easily remedied with the aftermarket. I am waiting for the Z06.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:16 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My only complaint after 7 months is there is a blind spot when I turn my head to the left to change lanes.( Now I have to speed up just in case)

Get notified of new replies

To What are the complaints from those who actually own a C6?

Old 02-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jabez
My only complaint after 7 months is there is a blind spot when I turn my head to the left to change lanes.( Now I have to speed up just in case)
I don't have any blind spots. I adjust my outside mirrors so far out that I have to lean toward the mirror slightly to even see the edge of the car. Blind spots are gone.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:51 PM
SteveC6
Heel & Toe

Only complaint is the brakes squeal still (~2200 miles). I have the Z51 package. Other than that, a great automobile - my first vette and really enjoy it.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:37 PM
GTC
Safety Car

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

It started out good, but in less than 2 months, it has started to get very bad. All kinds of electrical problems over the past few weeks. I've seen the "reduced engine power" and "service traction control" messages multiple times. The passenger door opened while driving when I was making a left turn. I took it to the dealer and downloaded all kinds of codes it was throwing. They called GM and they said that they haven't seen anything like this before. They thought that it might be caused by my valentine-1, so I removed it, but the problem came back. Maybe when I get back to the dealer on Monday they can figure out what is going wrong.

The headlights are fine. The Z51 brakes squeal a bit, but that is ok with me. The visibility and space inside the car is fine.

If this car would just work I'd like it.

Quick Reply: What are the complaints from those who actually own a C6?