C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking & Unlocking a C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 01:25 PM
rab488
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Locking & Unlocking a C6

I find the keyless pushbutton feature interesting and by reading the various threads I think I pretty much understand how it works. Related to this is locking and unlocking the car. Do you have to push the lock & unlock buttons on the fob or does approaching or leaving the car activate the locks?
Old 10-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

"All of the above". You can program the Driver Information Center (DIC) to automatically lock & unlock the car, as well as using the FOB to do it.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:39 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the passive mode. That way you'll always know that it is locked when you are not around, and only unlocks for you (or someone who knocked you on your head and stole your FOB).

Mike
Old 10-15-2004, 01:39 PM
thebiggman
Racer

Originally Posted by RedC6Coupe
"All of the above". You can program the Driver Information Center (DIC) to automatically lock & unlock the car, as well as using the FOB to do it.
EXACTLY!!!!
Old 10-15-2004, 01:58 PM
rab488
Advanced

Thanks for the responses. I don't have a C6 -- yet. If I understand correctly, you can lock and unlock it with the fob - same as the C5 and a zillion other cars - or you can program the DIC to lock the C6 when you walk away and to unlock it when you approach.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:20 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by rab488
Thanks for the responses. I don't have a C6 -- yet. If I understand correctly, you can lock and unlock it with the fob - same as the C5 and a zillion other cars - or you can program the DIC to lock the C6 when you walk away and to unlock it when you approach.
In passive mode, it doesn't unlock when you approach. It checks the vicinity for a FOB when you pull on a door handle or press the trunk unlock button by license plate. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by abrimberry
In passive mode, it doesn't unlock when you approach. It checks the vicinity for a FOB when you pull on a door handle or press the trunk unlock button by license plate. Thanks.
Right. I didn't go into enough detail above.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:53 PM
hanbitxpilsung
Intermediate

so basically when its on passive mode and u walk up to the car u can touch the door or trunck latch and that activates the car to unlock right?....and when the FOB is a certain distance away from the car it locks on its own right?...heheh sorry just wanna understand myself...imma get me a vett soon...thanks felllas....

actuall one more question...if the FOB is in passive mode and ur key is in the house hung up right by the garage door where u car is...does that mean someone can open the doors cuz the fob will be detected?

Thanks dooods
Old 10-15-2004, 06:05 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hanbitxpilsung
so basically when its on passive mode and u walk up to the car u can touch the door or trunck latch and that activates the car to unlock right?....and when the FOB is a certain distance away from the car it locks on its own right?...heheh sorry just wanna understand myself...imma get me a vett soon...thanks felllas....

actuall one more question...if the FOB is in passive mode and ur key is in the house hung up right by the garage door where u car is...does that mean someone can open the doors cuz the fob will be detected?

Thanks dooods
I think it has to be 3 meters (9 or 10 ft) from the car before detection so if the FOB is more than that from the car no one can get it. Mine hangs 20 feet from the car and if I don't take it with me to the garage I can't get in to the car if locked.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:07 PM
TRAIL BOSS
Drifting

You've got to learn to trust it and that is hard to do. I still like to push the buttons!
Old 10-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TRAIL BOSS
You've got to learn to trust it and that is hard to do. I still like to push the buttons!
Program it to flash the lights when it locks the car. Then, stop in front of the car and watch for the lights to flash.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:39 PM
LEXUS430
Racer

Default locking

i reprogrammed mine today to honk once after you and it locks the doors. then when you approach and touch the door pad to get in it unlocks. i'm impressed and think it's just great
Old 10-17-2004, 01:31 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

I just got mine yesterday. While I was inside it today cleaning it, with the engine off, fob in pocket, I couldn't get out...door handle button or unlock door switch wouldn't work. I didn't try the lower door release, because I forgot about it.

So I stared it up and then the doors worked...?

It's gonna be a long day tomorrow viewing the DVD, owners manual and listening to the CD.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:40 AM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This is my favorite part of the C6. I absolutely LOVE this REAL push button start and the way they implemented it with the security system! I love not having to even think about reaching in my pocket to fish out my keys while walking up to my car. What I love most is that I never have to worry about forgetting to lock the car ever again

edit: Oops! Old thread, I know, my bad.. Been doing some searching and found this thread and replied before checking the date -_-'

Last edited by JDMricist_03; 04-27-2015 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:56 AM
carllangford
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

If, with engine stopped and while doors still unlocked, you press and hold the unlock button on the door until it beeps the car will not auto-lock in passive mode. I use this "override" when parking in my garage.... ('07 Vert).
Old 04-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I simply put the fob in my pocket when I leave the house and I never touch it until I get home.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:20 AM
Richard G.
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ufso
I just got mine yesterday. While I was inside it today cleaning it, with the engine off, fob in pocket, I couldn't get out...door handle button or unlock door switch wouldn't work. I didn't try the lower door release, because I forgot about it.

So I stared it up and then the doors worked...?

It's gonna be a long day tomorrow viewing the DVD, owners manual and listening to the CD.
Yes, it is a long read on the books. But, take the time !
I got my 09 last Wednesday, Enjoy and the grin hurts after a
4 hour ride
Old 04-27-2015, 07:23 AM
drews60
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZeeOhhSeven
This is my favorite part of the C6. I absolutely LOVE this REAL push button start and the way they implemented it with the security system! I love not having to even think about reaching in my pocket to fish out my keys while walking up to my car. What I love most is that I never have to worry about forgetting to lock the car ever again

edit: Oops! Old thread, I know, my bad.. Been doing some searching and found this thread and replied before checking the date -_-'

It's a great feature, walk away, wait for the honk, car is locked.

I wish my 2014 Ram did that. Sometimes I forget to lock it. Not a problem with my 2010 Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Locking & Unlocking a C6

Quick Reply: Locking & Unlocking a C6