C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hocky Pucks and the C6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 10:43 AM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Default Hocky Pucks and the C6?

I'm wondering if the C6 is any easier to jack up than the C5.

Does the C6 have rocker panels that require a jacking puck to be used to keep from breaking the rocker panel?

Tom
Old 10-09-2004, 10:54 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
I'm wondering if the C6 is any easier to jack up than the C5.

Does the C6 have rocker panels that require a jacking puck to be used to keep from breaking the rocker panel?

Tom
The hockey pucks I made for my C5 work for my C6.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:03 AM
SA734
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is recommended to use some form of "spacer" between your jack and the frame area.. The commercially available pucks for the C5 work on the C6.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:20 AM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

When I read the post title I thought someone was pizzed about the NHL lockout & started shooting pucks at your car.

Old 10-10-2004, 09:04 PM
paystyle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lager99
When I read the post title I thought someone was pizzed about the NHL lockout & started shooting pucks at your car.

Ho hum.....
Old 10-10-2004, 10:09 PM
SSkindog
Racer

According to the owners manual, the lifting points are NOT at the frame near the rockers.

The lifting is done on the front & rear aluminum subframes from the way I read it.

However before reading the manual, I lifted my car to put the chrome wheels on, at the frame rails near the rockers for the fronts. No problems that I could see by doing it that way, I did use wood spacers about the thickness of a puck. And did lift the rear using the rear subframe, as the manual stated.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:06 PM
SamsBud

The post about the proper jacking points is correct, but many shops have lifts with arms that will contact the rocker panels if not buffered with something like a jacking puck. I carry a set of hockey pucks, "just in case." And it's not so much that you risk cracking a rocker panel, as it is having the lift arms mar the painted surfaces under the car.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Lee6
Pro

Originally Posted by SamsBud
The post about the proper jacking points is correct, but many shops have lifts with arms that will contact the rocker panels if not buffered with something like a jacking puck. I carry a set of hockey pucks, "just in case." And it's not so much that you risk cracking a rocker panel, as it is having the lift arms mar the painted surfaces under the car.
thanks.....it's SOOO nice when someone answers that way...giving the whole story instead of assuming a lot.....fact is, this is my first vette and i've been reading about pucks for at least 4 months now and this is the first time that i finally got a picture as to their real function.....
Old 10-11-2004, 10:50 AM
natejohn
Burning Brakes

It is great when questions are answered clearly and to the point.
I have a question -
Why FOUR(4) pucks?
You obviously need ONE to jack the car up. Then what, where do you place your jack stand - can't use the puck cuz it's being used by the jack? So - you place the jack stand....(wherever) let the jack down, remove the puck and go to the next jacking point to continue onward....(!?)

I CAN understand why FOUR are needed by a garage with a lift that needs to contact all four jacking points at the same time. Is THAT why they are sold in sets rather than singularly? You carry them in the car with you in case it ends up in a garage somewhere?

LOL- NOT being flippant here....just curious; if I have to buy four I CERTAINLY will..........

In the same vein .....since you're jacking on the (sub)frame do two wheels (either side or frt/back) come off the ground together?
IS the chassis stiff enough(I hope so<g>)?

Inquiring minds...........
Old 10-11-2004, 11:11 AM
SSkindog
Racer

When I lifted the rear by jacking on the points specified in the manual, it only lifted the corner off the ground that was being jacked. But I only took it high enough to get the tire an inch or two off the ground.
I put wood blocking under the rear A arm near the point where it attached to the subframe, to hold that corner up while I moved the jack to the other side.

Had the rear on blocks in that manner, and left the front of the car on the floor jacks (two, one each side) while the wheels were off the car, overnite.

It is difficult to find a good location for a jack stand though.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Donovan 572
Pro

Originally Posted by SSkindog
According to the owners manual, the lifting points are NOT at the frame near the rockers.

The lifting is done on the front & rear aluminum subframes from the way I read it.
If it were me I think I'd lift the car with a healthy piece of wood on the front and rear aluminum subframes, and then install and use the four pucks for the jack stands.

However, as long as your work doesn't require taking the wheels off the car, my favorite way to securely hold the car up is to use good sized old steel wheels laid flat on the ground. One under each tire on the car. It sounds a little hillbilly, but it makes the car very stable, secure and safe. If you've ever "wiggled" a car while it was on jack stands it will make you think twice about getting under it for major work where you will be wrestling with things under the car.

Last edited by Donovan 572; 10-11-2004 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:58 PM
SEA6
Racer

Originally Posted by natejohn
It is great when questions are answered clearly and to the point.
I have a question -
Why FOUR(4) pucks?
You obviously need ONE to jack the car up. Then what, where do you place your jack stand - can't use the puck cuz it's being used by the jack? So - you place the jack stand....(wherever) let the jack down, remove the puck and go to the next jacking point to continue onward....(!?)

I CAN understand why FOUR are needed by a garage with a lift that needs to contact all four jacking points at the same time. Is THAT why they are sold in sets rather than singularly? You carry them in the car with you in case it ends up in a garage somewhere?

LOL- NOT being flippant here....just curious; if I have to buy four I CERTAINLY will..........

In the same vein .....since you're jacking on the (sub)frame do two wheels (either side or frt/back) come off the ground together?
IS the chassis stiff enough(I hope so<g>)?

Inquiring minds...........
When I had my C5 I always carried 4 pucks in the trunk incase of
an unplaned trip to the tire shop etc...... Happened two times in three years.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:46 AM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by lager99

Only a friggin Canadian would think of something like that
Old 10-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

(Info from my C5, probably the same for C6)
For most lifts a single puck in each place, four total, works well. But if your shop uses one of those lifts with a single center column and four arms that branch out, you probably need double pucks in each place- the arms will deflect downward under the weight of the car and the center column will then hit the bottom of your floor. Could crack something.

I carry double pucks held together with velcro so i can easily use the single or double thickness.

(Trying to wait until the six speed auto comes out before i order mine...)
Old 10-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Mark S.
Safety Car

I purchased BMW lifting pads for the 325 and they fit perfectly in the slots (underneath the rocker panels)...best part is that they snap in and stay there and they have a low profile (which means you have to get down on the ground to see them)...check it out...search for the part and picture at this site...

Part # 51 71 1 960 752
Item is called: Jacking pad- 2003 or 2004 325ci
$6.95 each from www.bavauto.com

copy and paste the Part # in the box provided and then select 2003 for the year and 325ci for the model...

lots of C5 owners have purchased these...

Last edited by Mark S.; 10-12-2004 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:04 PM
natejohn
Burning Brakes

This seems like a good solution.
Perhaps, since they can't be seen....we could paint them Yellow w/black stripe or something similar so they are easily seen. ?
Old 10-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

The BMW lifting pads can easily be seen by any mechanic who is looking underneath getting ready to lift the car...too bad GM didn't come up with this idea...

Get notified of new replies

To Hocky Pucks and the C6?

Old 10-13-2004, 04:58 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark S.
I purchased BMW lifting pads for the 325 and they fit perfectly in the slots (underneath the rocker panels)...best part is that they snap in and stay there and they have a low profile (which means you have to get down on the ground to see them)...check it out...search for the part and picture at this site...

Part # 51 71 1 960 752
Item is called: Jacking pad- 2003 or 2004 325ci
$6.95 each from www.bavauto.com

copy and paste the Part # in the box provided and then select 2003 for the year and 325ci for the model...

lots of C5 owners have purchased these...
This sounds like the best deal but the part # that comes up is 51 71 8 268 885
Old 10-13-2004, 08:59 PM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

Originally Posted by LS WON
This sounds like the best deal but the part # that comes up is 51 71 8 268 885
That's the square one for a 745i...

copy and paste the exact numbers from his post (51 71 1 960 752) into the website's search box and it should work... what comes up is a round jacking biscuit for 6.95
Old 10-14-2004, 03:59 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by docrings1
That's the square one for a 745i...

copy and paste the exact numbers from his post (51 71 1 960 752) into the website's search box and it should work... what comes up is a round jacking biscuit for 6.95
Ok...I will try that AGAIN and see it it works this time.

Quick Reply: Hocky Pucks and the C6?