C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Sensitive Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 09:10 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Speed Sensitive Windshield Wipers

I noticed in the owners manual a reference to speed sensitive wipers. However, the manual isn't clear about how to envoke them. They use a similar icon as the intermittent wiper controls. Any insight? Thanks.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:42 AM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by abrimberry
I noticed in the owners manual a reference to speed sensitive wipers. However, the manual isn't clear about how to envoke them. They use a similar icon as the intermittent wiper controls. Any insight? Thanks.
i would guess the faster you go the faster the wipers go and also the lights comes on when you use your wipers,i guess to satisfy the states that have that law like fla. i hope i never have to find out as i do not plan on driving in the rain.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by clem zahrobsky
i would guess the faster you go the faster the wipers go and also the lights comes on when you use your wipers,i guess to satisfy the states that have that law like fla. i hope i never have to find out as i do not plan on driving in the rain.
That's what the owner's manual says on page 3-10. The delay will decrease as you go faster and increase when you go slower.

The headlamps & parking lamps will be activated after the wipers have been on for 15 seconds unless the lamp control has been turned off or is in the parking lamp position. Then the HEADLAMPS SUGGESTED message will come on the DIC. (Page 3-15).
Old 10-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The headlamps & parking lamps will be activated after the wipers have been on for 15 seconds unless the lamp control has been turned off or is in the parking lamp position. Then the HEADLAMPS SUGGESTED message will come on the DIC. (Page 3-15).

By gee, I have never had a big brother before.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:11 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by RedC6Coupe
That's what the owner's manual says on page 3-10. The delay will decrease as you go faster and increase when you go slower.
I did some testing and the delay times were the same regardless of speed. It only appears that we have the intermittent settings to control the delay ourselves. How do you put it in the auto, speed sensitive mode? Thanks.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:15 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Whatever happened to turn on the windshield wipers and headlights on when you want to? freedom of choice now we let the computers take that decision/control away.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:28 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I did some testing and the delay times were the same regardless of speed. It only appears that we have the intermittent settings to control the delay ourselves. How do you put it in the auto, speed sensitive mode? Thanks.
maybe you did not go fast enought.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Looked for that in the owner's manual when you asked originally, but couldn't find anything. Was hoping that someone who had tried it successfully would post.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Rocketblock
Drifting

There's a lot of Big Brother in the C6.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:47 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by LS WON
Whatever happened to turn on the windshield wipers and headlights on when you want to? freedom of choice now we let the computers take that decision/control away.
:-)

Actually it was more of a curiosity thing. However, why not let the computer do something I do manually when driving? Slow wipers when driving faster.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:48 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rocketblock
There's a lot of Big Brother in the C6.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by clem zahrobsky
My '69 Mercury Montego had that feature. Yes indeedy! When you stomped on the gas, the wipers sped up, like magic. Until, one day, showing off to a chick, I showed her the magic. When I stomped on the gas, I blew the exhaust sytem clean off, up near the headers, creating a sudden, massive noise, that sounded like the motor blew up! I had a big mess, and never tried that trick again.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:52 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hoonose
My '69 Mercury Montego had that feature. Yes indeedy! When you stomped on the gas, the wipers sped up, like magic. Until, one day, showing off to a chick, I showed her the magic. When I stomped on the gas, I blew the exhaust sytem clean off, up near the headers, creating a sudden, massive noise, that sounded like the motor blew up! I had a big mess, and never tried that trick again.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Lawman31
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Mercedes has rain sensative wipers and the speed is controlled based on how much water is present on the windshiled. I wish my new C-6 had this technology, it is way cool.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:28 PM
THE BUD MAN
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I just went out and tried it....works fine.... you push the handle up to the first "on" spot.... that is the speed sensitive postion
Old 10-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawman31
My Mercedes has rain sensative wipers and the speed is controlled based on how much water is present on the windshiled. I wish my new C-6 had this technology, it is way cool.

My wife's Jag, too!
Old 10-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by THE BUD MAN
I just went out and tried it....works fine.... you push the handle up to the first "on" spot.... that is the speed sensitive postion
Which is also the position for delayed wipers. Did the amount of delay have to be any certain place? Was the speed sensitive automatic as long as you had it in the speed-sensitive/delay position?

Get notified of new replies

To Speed Sensitive Windshield Wipers

Old 10-06-2004, 03:39 PM
abrimberry
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by RedC6Coupe
Which is also the position for delayed wipers. Did the amount of delay have to be any certain place? Was the speed sensitive automatic as long as you had it in the speed-sensitive/delay position?
I put the intermittent **** in every position and timed the delay at 30 mph and 60 mph. Delay was the same. I'm wondering if the speed sensitive option is for European or Canadian cars and the manual just didn't note that. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:14 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS WON
I assume from your reply that you drive a standard shift transmission to maintain your freedom of choice?
Old 10-08-2004, 11:47 AM
KISSfn
Pro

If this car is supposed to have speed sensitive wipers like the manual mentions, I can't get them to work.

Quick Reply: Speed Sensitive Windshield Wipers