C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Pre-Delivery Checklist (trust but verify)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 02:04 PM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

Default Dealer Pre-Delivery Checklist (trust but verify)

If you are anticipating the arrival of you new C6, you should at least know what the dealer should be doing with your car upon arrival. This way you can "trust but verify" the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) on your car and make sure you get all the "goodies" you paid for...

-----------------------------------------------------
Corvette Dealer PDI (Pre-delivery inspection) service checklist:

• Remove paint film protection and insure the door edge foam blocks remain in place.
A plastic film known as "TransSeal" is applied to external horizontal painted surfaces to provide protection from ultra violet light, fallout and chemical attack from bird droppings, etc. This protection should be left on all vehicles during storage. It has been tested and approved for up to six months. If the dealership has difficulties in removing the protective material, the manufacturer provides a toll free number for assistance 1-800-307-7218 in the United States or 972-286-7890, in Canada. It is also important to follow the directions for removal found in Corporate Service Bulletin # 03-08-51-001. Foam blocks are installed on both doors. They are designed to protect the vehicle while in storage or on display. The foam blocks should not be removed until the vehicle is delivered to the owner.
• Check contents of "loose items" pack and fit components to vehicle.
• Wheel trim
• Install the front air dam.
Install the two outer pieces first then align the holes with the center section and install the pushpins from the center section to the outer section and then connect the top of the center section
• Floor mats and retainers
• Spare keys
Two Keyless fob and one trunk entry key
• License plate bracket, if equipped
• Getting to Know Your Corvette booklet and CD (US only)
• Navigation DVD and NAV owner’s manual supplement, and audio CD if equipped
A package containing the Owner's Manual portfolio, (Getting to Know your Corvette Guide, an information CD and a owner's DVD video (US only)) are included in the rear hatch area of every car. If the car is equipped with the Navigation system, the Navigation DVD, Owner's Manual Supplement, instructional DVD and a quick reference guide are shipped in the hatch area as well. It is important that the individual that receives the car from the carrier inspects for any missing pieces when the carrier delivers the car.
• Remove all interior protection
• Verify the On-Star option is activated and operating properly, if equipped
• Place the Customer Information CD in the audio CD player (US only). Place the DVD-ROM in the Navigation system DVD slot and pick the proper region of the country, if equipped.
• Remind customers that if their vehicle is equipped with XM radio, the trial service will end in 90 days
• Set clock time in radio
• Set the customer's preferences and driver's name for the DIC
Consider both doors unlocking with keyless fob vice driver’s door only.
• Communicate to the driver the importance of shifting into reverse prior to shutting off the ignition on manual equipped transmissions.
• Reset all MPH (KPH), MPG (L/100 km) and trip odometers settings to zero.
• Set tire pressures to specified pressure (30 PSI / 210 KPA - refer to tire placard at rear of driver's door).
• Check the state of the battery charge, record the reading on the PDI form and charge the battery if the voltage is below 12.6 volts.
Battery life can be affected by the length of time a vehicle has been sitting without being started as well as short starts and stops. This must be performed before the car is delivered to the customer to insure the customer has a fully charged battery.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Mag Red C-6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Great information. Thanks so much for providing it.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by docrings1
If you are anticipating the arrival of you new C6, you should at least know what the dealer should be doing with your car upon arrival. This way you can "trust but verify" the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) on your car and make sure you get all the "goodies" you paid for...

• Remove paint film protection and insure the door edge foam blocks remain in place.
A plastic film known as "TransSeal" is applied to external horizontal painted surfaces to provide protection from ultra violet light, fallout and chemical attack from bird droppings, etc. This protection should be left on all vehicles during storage. It has been tested and approved for up to six months. If the dealership has difficulties in removing the protective material, the manufacturer provides a toll free number for assistance 1-800-307-7218 in the United States or 972-286-7890, in Canada. It is also important to follow the directions for removal found in Corporate Service Bulletin # 03-08-51-001. Foam blocks are installed on both doors. They are designed to protect the vehicle while in storage or on display. The foam blocks should not be removed until the vehicle is delivered to the owner.
• Wheel trim
Install the two outer pieces first then align the holes with the center section and install the pushpins from the center section to the outer section and then connect the top of the center section
• Spare keys
A package containing the Owner's Manual portfolio, (Getting to Know your Corvette Guide, an information CD and a owner's DVD video (US only)) are included in the rear hatch area of every car. If the car is equipped with the Navigation system, the Navigation DVD, Owner's Manual Supplement, instructional DVD and a quick reference guide are shipped in the hatch area as well. It is important that the individual that receives the car from the carrier inspects for any missing pieces when the carrier delivers the car.
• Place the Customer Information CD in the audio CD player (US only). Place the DVD-ROM in the Navigation system DVD slot and pick the proper region of the country, if equipped.
• Remind customers that if their vehicle is equipped with XM radio, the trial service will end in 90 days
• Communicate to the driver the importance of shifting into reverse prior to shutting off the ignition on manual equipped transmissions.
• Set tire pressures to specified pressure (30 PSI / 210 KPA - refer to tire placard at rear of driver's door).
• Check the state of the battery charge, record the reading on the PDI form and charge the battery if the voltage is below 12.6 volts.
Battery life can be affected by the length of time a vehicle has been sitting without being started as well as short starts and stops. This must be performed before the car is delivered to the customer to insure the customer has a fully charged battery.
Then do a few, quick, full-on 1/4 mile runs, to help break in the motor...

Heavily smoke and squeal the tires, a few times, to break them in...

Same goes for the brakes...

And, please don't forget to leave your greasey trademark on the mats!
Old 10-04-2004, 04:53 PM
D's C6
Advanced

Good information. Thanks. It appears GM has good intentions to take care of the customer. I will check with my dealer before next week's delivery to see if they are current on the inspection procedure. This will be their first C6. Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:34 PM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

C6 FAQ Master

Originally Posted by Hoonose

I think that is everyone's fear... that the "prep" driver will do a couple 6000 RPM smoky burnouts and a couple hard tromps on the brakes...

Old 10-05-2004, 06:30 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by docrings1

• Wheel trim
• Spare keys
All my dealer did was put on the air dam. NOTHING ELSE!!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:38 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Thank you!

Because my Black/Z51/Chrome C6 left on the truck for Michigan yesterday. I have asked, as in the past, that the window sticker be left on.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:54 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose

Don't forget to let everyone wearing a pair of pants, a shirt, and shoes test drive it before the owner picks it up, as the dealership might be able to sell a few more by letting everyone, his brother, and his brothers wife's aunt grind the gears a few times before picking up your ride.

Mike
Old 10-08-2004, 12:00 AM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

C6 FAQ Master

Here is a thread written by Chevy dealer employees... these are the guys driving YOUR NEW VETTE:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/archiv...x.php/t-215341

Quote: "We actually got in a black C6 today and the mechanics neglected to PEEL off the plastic shipping material before they test drove it. Result? Melted plastic all over the hood. THAT's gonna' hurt.."

"sounds like someone didnt put the car in reverse before levaing the car. gotta do that to keep the battery from dieing."

"Got in. Keyless entry and start. Light turns green, press the brake, press the start button, lights flicker, doors lock, NOTHING. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Can't open door. Minutes tick by. Lights flicker. Feverishly thumbing through the "Getting To Know Your Corvette" book to double check my starting procedure.

Yep, key fob in car, press brake, press start. O.K. That's not working. So we open the glove box and insert the key fob facing the passenger side door for an emergency start. Click, click. It's getting HOT and the air is running out inside the car. As tight as the interior is in the C6 (Smaller than the C5) and not being able to lower the windows or unlock the doors, I began to panic just a tiny bit. :eek2:

Finally, I said THE HELL WITH IT! I unlatched the two forward and one aft latches for the roof panel and rolled it back so I could reach out the roof like a dog and breath!!!

After I got my oxygen going again, I saw the emergency door latch on the floor right next to the driver's side door. OOPS! Door open, hood open.
My manager hooked up the portable battery charger. Lights! Ignition! Rumbling LS2 400HP engine!"
Old 10-08-2004, 12:16 AM
JSMDMD
Melting Slicks

Default Not in my C6...

No.. these morons won't be doing this to my car. It's one of the reasons I decided to go with the Museum Delivery.
Now I will only have to worry about these idiots when I get it serviced....
Old 10-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Odinga
Heel & Toe

I know this is somewhat of an older thread, but does this kind of stuff still happen?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:11 AM
Stevenyc777
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have an 08, manual trans.Why do you put it in reverse? I dont do this and never had a problem..just curious..

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer Pre-Delivery Checklist (trust but verify)

Quick Reply: Dealer Pre-Delivery Checklist (trust but verify)