C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Museum Delivery: Should I or shouldn't I

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 01:06 AM
vincent_esq
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Museum Delivery: Should I or shouldn't I

Everyone say that museum delivery is a must. However, I live in California. I really don't want to drive 3000 miles back after delivery. Anyone who lives this far away and did museum delivery? Any suggestions?
Old 10-03-2004, 01:29 AM
F.J.B.
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the search area. But every post I have read regarding the Museum Delivery option was very positive. They truly do a nice presentation. One guy actually went down a week or so earlier and was allowed to watchi HIS specific car being finished on the assembly line. As for the distance....sounds like a good enough reason to take a little vacation.

Good LUck....
Old 10-03-2004, 01:30 AM
DudeWheresMyVette
Drifting

Location: NYC / Naples, FL C5 under construction! Arancio Atlas (Lamborghini Metallic Orange) comming soon! :)

Vincent

I wouldn't do it for one reason. If you go through a regular dealer you can detail the car for the first time yourself, which can guarantee if any scratches are on the car after cleaning it's from you not the make ready dept. Museum delivery is great, don't get me wrong, but if you are **** go another route. It's also quite a distance from Cali. If you don't mind the drive then go for it.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:31 AM
c6nut
Burning Brakes

I only live about 800 mi away but it is well worth the trip. I get mine on OCt 20. The day starts at 7:45 and goes for 6 hours. Nothing but CORVETTE. How can you beat that. I think and would drive the 3000 mi for that.

Good luck,

Ted
Old 10-03-2004, 02:58 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

I've done it twice, and plan to do it again next spring. Over 3,000 miles each time. It's a great experience, and neither car was damaged in any way. There aren't a lot of gravel trucks on the interstates.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:53 AM
paystyle
Pro

I've got the same drive and am thinking about doing the same for my vert...I'm leaning pretty heavily on doing it if I can get the time off from work, b/c I'vce heard so many stories about dealers not being able to treat the cars properyl during their inspections. Contact a member by the username of "Tome," from Brea, CA, who's done the NCM delivery, and has had his C6 for about a month now. So take the advice of a fellow atty, and do museum delivery if you have the time.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:34 AM
RCoons
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

We took Delivery on Friday the 24th and had a great experiance. The one on one tour of the plant and Museum were great. Getting your Build Sheet from one of the workers and giving birth to a Vette is great. Put a little over 1000 miles and had a blast. All the attention on the road does not hurt. Takes 20 to 30 minutes to fuel her up because of all the attention.

Oh, I would put David and the prep. guys at the Museum at the top of the list in knowing what and how to prep you new baby..
Old 10-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Wolfbane
Racer

TomE has a series of threads posted after he did a museum delivery on his C6. Based on his reports I would say Museum delivery would be the way to go. If I had it to do over again I would get the museum delivery.

Old 10-03-2004, 09:20 AM
SinCityJet
Instructor

Originally Posted by vincent_esq
Everyone say that museum delivery is a must. However, I live in California. I really don't want to drive 3000 miles back after delivery. Anyone who lives this far away and did museum delivery? Any suggestions?
Since I'm leaving for the airport to fly to Bowling Green in less than 90 minutes, watch this space next weekend for my report!
Old 10-03-2004, 09:25 AM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

If you have enough time to travel I would say yes.... I ask myself the same question IF i lived further away... and my answer is YES its worth it... as long as you had the time all to drive back and enjoy the car... sorta make a nice trip out of it...
Old 10-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

What can be better than driving cross country in YOUR OWN vette. Do it if you can get the time off work.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:25 AM
gellis
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I live in California, too, and would love museum delivery, but ... 1) I have a vert on order and who knows when it will be manufactured; I wouldn't want to make the drive during bad winter weather. 2) I was thinking about driving around BG a bit and then trucking the car back to CA.

Last edited by gellis; 10-03-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by DudeWheresMyVette
Vincent

I wouldn't do it for one reason. If you go through a regular dealer you can detail the car for the first time yourself, which can guarantee if any scratches are on the car after cleaning it's from you not the make ready dept.
Thanks for bringing this up..

The NCM PDI staff is VERY particular about the car. 1 guy works in the paint dept at the plant, one guy comes from a Vette Family, and David is one of the best detailers I have seen.

When we get the car we have been trained directly from the plant on how to handle certain situations. What if the car has a fish eye? What if it have unfinished #1, 2, or 3. You as an individual cannot repair this correctly. We use the same tools as the plant when we prep a car. If there is a problem and we cannot or do not feel comfortable repairing we send it back to the plant. An individual or a dealer cannot do this.

You may be **** about how your car is treated or washed, but we are the corvette museum. We know how to treat Corvettes... cheers:
Old 10-03-2004, 11:15 AM
hb_cpa
Racer

St. Jude Contributor

I live in So Cal. I was also very worried about that long drive too. I did my NCM delivery on 9/8. The drive back only took me 2 days. If you can give it 3 days, you will be fine. If you LOVE Vette's, it is a must do. The NCM staff is great. They treat you like a VIP the entire time.

The VIP tour of the plant is worth the trip in itself. If your lucky (like I was) you will be able to give "birth" to a Vette. The plant workers like to talk to the Vette owners and explain their job.

I will do the NCM Delivery on the next Vette too.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:31 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Also depends on how **** you're going to be when it comes to following GM's suggested break-in schedule. Specifically, keeping the speed to max. of 55 MPH for the first 500 miles.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:46 AM
c6gofst
Instructor

I also live in SoCal and took delivery on September 8. If you can get the time, and especially if you can take a friend or family member with you, it will be a trip to remember. A friend and I left Tuesday and arrived home on Friday AM. We stopped along the way at many of the old Route 66 hot spots for photo op's and leg stretches. It was a trip I will not soon forget.

Old 10-03-2004, 12:28 PM
jm1001
Intermediate

One way to compromise if you do not have the time or energy for the drive home (or are worried about damage from the drive home), is to do the museum delivery and then have Passport or Horseless Carriage (or another favorite transporter) pick it up for you that afternoon or the next day. That is what I'm doing next week, we'll see how it goes.

Get notified of new replies

To Museum Delivery: Should I or shouldn't I

Old 10-03-2004, 12:44 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had the time ,like an extended vacation , I would do it. It will probably be a once in a life time experience.

Enjoy the trip through the US.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:46 PM
paystyle
Pro

Originally Posted by gellis
I live in California, too, and would love museum delivery, but ... 1) I have a vert on order and who knows when it will be manufactured; I wouldn't want to make the drive during bad winter weather. 2) I was thinking about driving around BG a bit and then trucking the car back to CA.
I'm thinking about doing the same. But I just feel like I was spending $500 to get a good prep job that most dealers should know how to do. But I'm from Cali and ordering a vert as well, so that winter weather is something to think about, especially in a vert.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:48 PM
paystyle
Pro

Default What's fish eye?

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
Thanks for bringing this up..

The NCM PDI staff is VERY particular about the car. 1 guy works in the paint dept at the plant, one guy comes from a Vette Family, and David is one of the best detailers I have seen.

When we get the car we have been trained directly from the plant on how to handle certain situations. What if the car has a fish eye? What if it have unfinished #1, 2, or 3. You as an individual cannot repair this correctly. We use the same tools as the plant when we prep a car. If there is a problem and we cannot or do not feel comfortable repairing we send it back to the plant. An individual or a dealer cannot do this.

You may be **** about how your car is treated or washed, but we are the corvette museum. We know how to treat Corvettes... cheers:
What's fish eye?

Quick Reply: Museum Delivery: Should I or shouldn't I