C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zaino - Can Someone check my work!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zaino - Can Someone check my work!

Help guys, I am a first time Zaino user and just put it on the C6. I'm not feeling too good right about now and not sure if what I did was correct. Can you tell me if this was correct??

Washed with blue dawn - dried
Zaino claybar with Z7/H2o lube
Washed again with Z7 - dried

Here's where I'm not so sure...

Applied Z1 very lightly and evenly over the car. I only used about 3/4 of an inch from the top of the bottle. Problem is that I can't really see where it was applied. Too little or too much? Used the Zaino applicator pad, dampened or moistened with Z1. Thin "film" of something on car now.

Put Z2 directly over the Z1 now with a new applicator. Used up and down strokes on the sides of the car and front to back on the flat surfaces. Again I only used about 3/4 an inch of the bottle on a moist/damp pad. It dries visually very quickly though instructions say wait one hr. How much hazing will happen as I wait. Car looks slightly smeary.

I don't know guys, what do you think? Did I do this part right??
Old 10-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Wolfbane
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give it an hour or so to dry. Remember the Z1 and Z2 are drying. to check if it's dry rub a fingertip over a hazy section. It should come up clear with no smearing. If it smears give it a bit more time. I have noticed that Zaino dry's slowly and it can be hard to determine if it is dry. But the results are definitely worth it.

Hope this helps,

Old 10-01-2004, 10:08 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

You did it correctly. This is one of the frustrating parts about using Zaino. You can barely see it after it hazes. If I want to be sure I get it all, I have to walk around the car with a trouble light (inside the garage). Even after I buff it off, I have to do this again, to make sure I didn't fail to buff a spot. It is great stuff. You will be happy. Remember not to apply a second coat w/i 24 hours. And as you have found, a little bit goes a long way. That is why, when you consider how long a bottle lasts, it's not really expensive.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Mardav
Advanced

did you use the ZFX? This really speeds up the drying process, highly recommend. You can feel the smoother finish once applied.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Chairman
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Something you may not be aware of is that with Zano, the more coats of Z2-Z5 applied, the better the shine and finish. It gets really nice after about 5 and after 10 it is spectacular. I know of people who have put 20 or more coats on. It's a good thing you only need a little for each coat.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Popeye
Instructor

If you use the ZFX additive to Z2, you don't need to use Z1. But, since you have already applied Z1, move on to Z2. I'm assuming you had no scratches, so didn't use Z5. Sounds like you are right on track. Although some think Zaino is complicated, once you get past the cleaning, claying and initial application, it's a piece of cake. You cannot leave Zaino on too long. You can apply a coat of Z2 to the entire car, go workout, take a walk, watch the game on TV - whatever you want and come back and off it comes. Or, if it is a warm or hot day, and it dries quickly, you may not even have to wait - by the time you finish applying, you can start taking it off. I didn't use the term "buff" because you really don't have to. If you use Z6 between coats of Z2 it deepens the shine. Awesome!
Old 10-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, I'm starting to feel better about all this. I think I will let it dry overnight just to be sure and then buff off in the morning. It's very humid here in Tx right now. Guess I was expecting a carnuba-like wax haze layer to form.

Should I still do Z6 spray between Z2 coats?

I am not using the ZFX. As a first time user, decided to go the old fashioned way...Z1, Z2, Z6, Z2, Z6, etc
Old 10-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Wolfbane
Racer

Yeah ....use the Z6 between coats. It will look great.

Old 10-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

No, no scratches. Only one small postage stamp sized swirl/scratch. Overall, the car looks awesome. With only 160 miles so far...it better. I decided to claybar even though it is so new. I did get up some "junk" up off the paint, but really it was pretty easy. I was able to use a claybar chunk about the size of a half-dollar for the whole thing. Guess an older car would have much more dirt imbedded. But I can still see a difference even after claybarring a brand new car. It works!
Old 10-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Wolfbane
Racer

I used a claybar on mine as well. I used ZFX though and put on three coats last week and another 3 this week. (1 Z5 and 2 Z2) Car looks fantastic. This system is definately worth the effort.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:34 AM
ernisse
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Buster1
No, no scratches. Only one small postage stamp sized swirl/scratch. Overall, the car looks awesome. With only 160 miles so far...it better. I decided to claybar even though it is so new. I did get up some "junk" up off the paint, but really it was pretty easy. I was able to use a claybar chunk about the size of a half-dollar for the whole thing. Guess an older car would have much more dirt imbedded. But I can still see a difference even after claybarring a brand new car. It works!
I notice you are in Del Rio Tx, that is where I went to AF pilot training about 17 years ago. Just wondering what you are doing there and how did you get a C-6 so early in that part of the country. Very interesting place to be....

Brian
Old 10-02-2004, 03:11 AM
DudeWheresMyVette
Drifting

Location: NYC / Naples, FL C5 under construction! Arancio Atlas (Lamborghini Metallic Orange) comming soon! :)

Zaino with Z1 is a pain in the **** dude. Def. pick up ZFX because if you use the car inbetween polishes you will have to wash allll over again. That is no fun
Old 10-02-2004, 07:28 AM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by DudeWheresMyVette
Zaino with Z1 is a pain in the **** dude. Def. pick up ZFX because if you use the car inbetween polishes you will have to wash allll over again. That is no fun
You need to wait like 24 hours between coats with the Z1 ,if I remember right.With ZFX you can put on up to 3 coats one right after another and it is always best to clay.!!!!!!!!Congrats on a great machine!
Old 10-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the tips guys. If I am following the directions right, you only have to apply the Z1 once. Then just multiple coats of Z2 and Z6 back and forth, with plenty of drying time in between. Sal Zaino's website says 6 hrs between coats of Z2 if above 70 degrees.

I may try the ZFX next time if it's much easier.

Ernisse, just got stationed here as a T-38 IP. Ordered the Vette thru Monica over 7 months ago! Just delivered last week!
Old 10-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Throw the Z1 in the trash, and get some ZFX.

ZFX is an additive to add to the Z2 (or Z5) and then you can go to work.

1) Apply the Z2 / ZFX additive (apply this coat to the car as thinly as you possibly can)
2) Let it dry to a haze
3) Polish the car
4) use your Z6

Then you can immediately (if you care too) repeat steps 1-4

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino - Can Someone check my work!

Quick Reply: Zaino - Can Someone check my work!