C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-06-2015, 12:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Turning off traction control: one press or two?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:04 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Turning off traction control: one press or two?

I've seen a few quotes where people say "you have to press the TCS button twice to turn off traction control". Doesn't look that way on mine. Press it once and it says "Traction System Off" and the little "slippery when wet" icon lights up on the instrument cluster. Press it again and it says "competitive mode" and the SWW icon on the instrument cluster does *not* come on. Which way are you guys running yours if you don't want any "computer interference" in your straight line acceleration/shifting?

Mike
Old 09-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Lee6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one press takes TC off.....
Old 09-29-2004, 10:05 AM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

pressing it once turns Traction Control off, pressing it twice turns traction control and Active Handling off (that's when you see "Competition Mode" on the DIC)
Old 09-29-2004, 11:09 AM
s420merc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what i read for complete deactivation you have to hold the button down for 5sec or more.
Maybee i am wrong on this.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Page 4-10 of my manual says (talking about Traction Control System), "To turn the system off, press the button on the console."

The manual also says (talking about ACTIVE HANDLING), "To turn the system off, press the ACTIVE HANDLING button on the console for five seconds."

A few paragraphs later, it says (talking about Competitive Driving Mode), "The driver can select this optional handling mode by pressing the ACTIVE HANDLING button on the console two times within a five second time period." Two sentences later it says, "Competitive Driving Mode allows the driver to have full control of the rear wheels while the Active Handling System helps steer the vehicle by selective brake application". 2 more sentences later, it says, "The Traction Control System will not be operating."

See page 4-11.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 09-29-2004 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Add info.
The following users liked this post:
gtbmjb (04-30-2023)
Old 09-29-2004, 11:33 AM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC6Coupe
Page 4-10 of my manual says (talking about Traction Control System), "To turn the system off, press the button on the console."

The manual also says (talking about ACTIVE HANDLING), "To turn the system off, press the ACTIVE HANDLING button on the console for five seconds."

A few paragraphs later, it says (talking about Competitive Driving Mode), "The driver can select this optional handling mode by pressing the ACTIVE HANDLING button on the console two times within a five second time period." Two sentences later it says, "Competitive Driving Mode allows the driver to have full control of the rear wheels while the Active Handling System helps steer the vehicle by selective brake application". 2 more sentences later, it says, "The Traction Control System will not be operating."

See page 4-11.
Very interesting. I'll have to go back and read that section again. That explains some of the weird things my car was doing on the track Saturday in Competition Mode, I thought there was something wrong with the posi unit.

So then, how do you turn both TC and AH off?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by vetracer
Very interesting. I'll have to go back and read that section again. That explains some of the weird things my car was doing on the track Saturday in Competition Mode, I thought there was something wrong with the posi unit.

So then, how do you turn both TC and AH off?
On that same page (4-11, left side of page), the manual says, "If you turn the Active Handling System off, the Traction Control System will also be turned off."

Two sentences later, it says, "To turn the system off, press the ACTIVE HANDLING button on the console for five seconds."

It also says that the DIC will display the appropriate message when you push the button.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 09-29-2004 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Add more info.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:11 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Based on the replies here, it still doesn't make sense. Press once, and TCS is turned off... but AH is still on. Press a second time, and all it does is turn the "slippery when wet" light off on the dash because you still have TCS off and AH on. Press and hold for 5 seconds, now I have what I want: all off. So:

- Press once = TSC off, AH on, dash light on
- Press second time = TCS off, AH on, dash light off
- Press and hold 5 seconds = TCS off, AH off

Why even distinguish between 1 or 2 presses, if all it does is turn the dash light off?

Mike
Old 10-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
Based on the replies here, it still doesn't make sense. Press once, and TCS is turned off... but AH is still on. Press a second time, and all it does is turn the "slippery when wet" light off on the dash because you still have TCS off and AH on. Press and hold for 5 seconds, now I have what I want: all off. So:

- Press once = TSC off, AH on, dash light on
- Press second time = TCS off, AH on, dash light off
- Press and hold 5 seconds = TCS off, AH off

Why even distinguish between 1 or 2 presses, if all it does is turn the dash light off?

Mike
When you press the button twice within 5 seconds to get into Competition Mode, traction control is off and active handling remains on. This is what you want for straight line acceleration (e.g. running the quarter mile). Turning off traction control will prevent you from bogging down your engine as you stomp the gas. Keeping active handling on will save your azz from hitting the wall .
Old 10-06-2004, 02:00 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tenderfoot
When you press the button twice within 5 seconds to get into Competition Mode, traction control is off and active handling remains on. This is what you want for straight line acceleration (e.g. running the quarter mile). Turning off traction control will prevent you from bogging down your engine as you stomp the gas. Keeping active handling on will save your azz from hitting the wall .
I don't disagree with that, but why have two settings that appear to be identical except for the dash light? I'm trying to understand exactly what the three settings do (one press, two presses, hold for 5 sec). One press and two presses appear to do exactly the same thing: turn off TCS and leave AH on. If you have three settings, they should do three different things. So far, we've identified three settings (one press, two presses, hold for 5 sec) but only two settings (TCS off with AH on, TCS off with AH also off). Still doesn't make sense.

I could also argue that I don't want my brakes being applied while doing a 1/4 mile run. A good driver can control the tail being a little fishy without using the brakes.

Mike
Old 10-06-2004, 02:57 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
I don't disagree with that, but why have two settings that appear to be identical except for the dash light? I'm trying to understand exactly what the three settings do (one press, two presses, hold for 5 sec). One press and two presses appear to do exactly the same thing: turn off TCS and leave AH on. If you have three settings, they should do three different things. So far, we've identified three settings (one press, two presses, hold for 5 sec) but only two settings (TCS off with AH on, TCS off with AH also off). Still doesn't make sense.

I could also argue that I don't want my brakes being applied while doing a 1/4 mile run. A good driver can control the tail being a little fishy without using the brakes.

Mike
The way I understand it, after reading numerous threads and manual excerpts, There are three settings.

1 press - TC off, full AH on
2 presses in 5 sec - Competitive Mode, TC off, AH on, but with greater tolerances for sliding sideways (what you want on a road course)
1 press for longer than 5 sec - TC and AH off.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
CodeRed777 (03-10-2023)
Old 10-06-2004, 03:02 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,289 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
The way I understand it, after reading numerous threads and manual excerpts, There are three settings.

2 presses in 5 sec - Competitive Mode, TC off, AH on, but with greater tolerances for sliding sideways (what you want on a road course)

Hope this helps.
Yep, I think you explained it well
Old 01-12-2010, 04:54 PM
physans
Advanced

So you can get more sideways in competition mode, than in traction off mode? Is that correct?

Strange there would be a warning light for 'traction off' mode, and no warning light for 'competition mode', assuming the latter allows you to get in much more trouble!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:06 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

It says competition mode on the DIC
Old 01-12-2010, 05:42 PM
physans
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
It says competition mode on the DIC
sure, until you look at anything else. the yellow light stays on for the other mode. i've been driving around in competition mode, thinking it was safer than traction off mode! (wouldnt allow me to get as sideways)
Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

1 punch controls your fish-tailing more, which unless your road racing....that's the one you want.
Larry
Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 PM
N8sFavToy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fdxpilot

Hope this helps.
2 presses is not the same as 1. AH is still on, but in a limited form with the 2nd press. Let's you be more aggressive around corners, but still protects you from going all the way around.

Get notified of new replies

To Turning off traction control: one press or two?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 PM
tomZ51
Pro

Hope this helps. [/QUOTE]

The competetion mode removes the active handling to a point. There is about a 25 degree angle before it kicks in and straightens you out. To remove both, its the 5 second hold on the button. This is where I like to run the track.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:12 PM
E-racer
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tomZ51

Hope this helps.

The competetion mode removes the active handling to a point. There is about a 25 degree angle before it kicks in and straightens you out. To remove both, its the 5 second hold on the button. This is where I like to run the track.[/QUOTE]

****Warning - in competition mode, I power shifted 1 -> 2 about 5500 rpm and my 2007 C6 swerved violently. Anyone had this experience? Is it a design issue? It is a dangerous situation.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:58 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The system has four modes.

Mode 1 is the default when you turn the car on. Full traction control and full active handling.

Mode 2 is one press of the button which is traction control off Active Handling on.

Mode 3 is two presses in five seconds. This is traction control off and active handling in competitive driving mode which will give you greater tolerances for sliding sideways (what you want on a road course)

Mode 4 is to press and hold for greater than five seconds. This will be traction control and active handling off. No intervention from either system.

Traction control is just that. It senses rear wheel spin (loss of traction) and will take appropriate action to reduce said wheel spin. It will pull timing to limit wheel spin. It monitors the ABS sensors and the wheel speed sensors along with RPM.

Active handling takes input from several sensors in the vehicle. It pays attention to wheel spin, rpm, throttle input, brake input and yaw (departure angle of the nose of the vehicle from straight.) The car will take what it believes to be appropriate actions including applying individual brakes and reducing throttle input. The F55 in addition will vary individual shock damping to allow the car to plant an individual wheel to regain better control if it senses the car being loaded in a given direction.

Competition mode is a modified setup for more allowance of rear wheel spin and slip. This is more of what you would want if you were driving your car in a high performance driving event on a road course. It gives you a little more latitude to push your car to the limits while still allowing some safety.

Your manual has some good information in terms of defining the various systems.

Active Handling System
The Active Handling System is a computer controlled
system that helps the driver maintain directional control
of the vehicle in difficult driving conditions. This is
accomplished by selectively applying any one of the
vehicle’s brakes.

Traction Control System (TCS)
Your vehicle has a traction control system called TCS
that limits wheel spin. This is especially useful in slippery
road conditions. The system operates only if it senses
that the rear wheels are spinning too much or are
beginning to lose traction. When this happens, the
system works the rear brakes and reduces engine power
(by closing the throttle and managing engine spark) to
limit wheel spin.

Competitive Driving Mode
The driver can select this optional handling mode by
pressing the ACTIVE HANDLING button on the console
two times within a five second time period.
COMPETITIVE DRIVING MODE will be displayed in the
DIC. Competitive Driving Mode allows the driver to have
full control of the rear wheels while the Active Handling
System helps maintain directional control of the vehicle
by selective brake application. This involves less
intervention than with both the Active Handling System
and Traction Control Systems on. The instrument cluster
light will not be on. The Traction Control System will not
be operating. Adjust your driving accordingly.

Quick Reply: Turning off traction control: one press or two?