C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 access system faq.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default C6 access system faq.

How does the C6 entry system work?

The C6 allows up to four FOBs to be associated with a single vehicle. When someone pulls on the membrane switches hidden in the door pulls, the car sends a signal, to which the FOB sends a reply to authenticate with the car and allow the door to open. The same thing happens with the engine start button and trunk release.

Can't someone just drive off with the car if the fob is nearby in the owner's pocket?

No, the car is able to triangulate the position of the fob using several antennas hidden within the car. If the fob isn't in the driver's seat, the car won't start.

Will the car constantly lock and unlock as I walk around my house with the fob in my pocket? My older Corvette did this.

No. The fob and car only communicate when a button or switch is pressed, either on the car or on the fob. Unless you change the settings using the DIC or use the fob in a manual mode, the car is constantly locked except for a split second when you pull on the handle and it releases and then re-locks.

What is the range of the fob in automatic mode?

Approximately 1 meter (that's 3.3 feet).

What if my passenger also has one of the car's fobs?

Again, the car can tell where they are. It will use the fob in the driver's seat for starting the engine.

Well what if the driver has more than one fob?

The car chooses the fob with the lowest number. Of the four possible fobs, each one is assigned a different number (1, 2, 3, and 4.) So, obviously, the driver who takes the car out the most should have #1 and so on.

What if my fob fails? How do I get in or out?

The doors have manual releases near the floor. So if you're inside you can just pull one and get out (but also set off the alarm.) If an emergency crew is outside, they can break the window and pull the manual release (if an emergency crew is trying to get in, a broken window is the least of your worries.) Remember, the C5 was the same way--the doors were automatically locked while in motion, so emergency crews already had to do this. If you're outside and don't want to break your window , you can just use your key to open the trunk and then pull the door release cable.

What about starting the engine with a failed fob?

Simply insert the fob in the receptacle within the glove box. This works for those cases (the majority) where a fob problem is a low battery or interference.

How long does the fob battery last?

Don't know, but the car gives you plenty of warning via the DIC when the fob battery is detected as being low.

Won't the C6 have lots of problems that the C5 did not because of this new system?

Not really. Except for the triangulation calculation, there's nothing really new about the C6's system. The C5 also used membrane switches. The C5 also used a batter-powered fob which had to communicate with the car. The C5 also had power door locks. The C6 just uses the same technologies that the C5 already used, but in a better, more convenient manner.

The door suddenly won't open or opens only sometimes. Why?

It's possible that the fob is encountering radio interference from something such as a SpeedPass™ transmitter. All radio devices have this problem at times. The radio spectrum is a very crowded place.

Last edited by Scissors; 09-07-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:16 AM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

[QUOTE=Scissors]Well what if the driver has more than one fob.

The car chooses one. (A "master" fob.)

Great info Scissors.... good post...

Above... the car actually chooses the lowest number FOB.. so that would be #1 if you only have #1 and #2.....

if you have a #3 and #4 fob is doesnt recognize those for the memory settings option.... this is what the manual says anyway...
Old 09-07-2004, 09:18 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

[QUOTE=TRAYC6]
Originally Posted by Scissors
Well what if the driver has more than one fob.

The car chooses one. (A "master" fob.)

Great info Scissors.... good post...

Above... the car actually chooses the lowest number FOB.. so that would be #1 if you only have #1 and #2.....

if you have a #3 and #4 fob is doesnt recognize those for the memory settings option.... this is what the manual says anyway...

Thanks, I'll update the FAQ.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Michael; great info !!!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
Michael; great info !!!
Old 09-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I'm a skeptic, but this FOB thing has me concerned. It sure sounds like a lot of opportunity for problems.

I mean, this is the company, and car, that brought us the column lock - for 7 straight years!

Old 09-07-2004, 06:21 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Scissors, you are a wealth of knowledge.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Tom Steele
Maybe I'm a skeptic, but this FOB thing has me concerned. It sure sounds like a lot of opportunity for problems.

I mean, this is the company, and car, that brought us the column lock - for 7 straight years!

Why? What mysterious technology is it that the C6 uses that the C5 hasn't already been using just fine for its entire run?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Tom Steele

In this case, it will probably be because the owners didn't read the instructions.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:51 AM
rcws6
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by RedC6Coupe
In this case, it will probably be because the owners didn't read the instructions.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why? What mysterious technology is it that the C6 uses that the C5 hasn't already been using just fine for its entire run?
I hear ya but the column lock shouldn't be an unsolvable problem.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:03 AM
john m
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 66 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'06

Can't someone just drive off with the car if the fob is nearby in the owner's pocket?

No, the car is able to triangulate the position of the fob using several antennas hidden within the car. If the fob isn't in the driver's seat, the car won't start.
Are you sure about this?? I was able to start one of the GM cars at Carlisle and the fob was not in the driver's seat, it was with the GM Engineer standing next to the car...
Old 09-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by john m
Are you sure about this?? I was able to start one of the GM cars at Carlisle and the fob was not in the driver's seat, it was with the GM Engineer standing next to the car...
Did you check the glove box, center console, and under the seats for the second fob?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:57 AM
john m
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 66 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'06

nope, I was so shocked that it actually started that I shut it off and got out
Old 09-08-2004, 02:43 PM
VITIS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18,'19-'20

Also, mentioned was EM interference from carrying the FOB in a purse with a cell phone, for example. Lots of men would carry in pocket (maybe not on the Left Coast ) with a cell phone worn on belt. Potential problems there?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:32 PM
SeaFive
Team Owner

If i change the floor mats in my new C6 will the fOB still work?
Old 09-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To C6 access system faq.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The C6 allows up to four FOBs to be associated with a single vehicle. When someone pulls on the membrane switches hidden in the door pulls, the car sends a signal, to which the FOB sends a reply to authenticate with the car and allow the door to open. The same thing happens with the engine start button and trunk release.

Will the car constantly lock and unlock as I walk around my house with the fob in my pocket? My older Corvette did this.

No. The fob and car only communicate when a button or switch is pressed, either on the car or on the fob. Unless you change the settings using the DIC or use the fob in a manual mode, the car is constantly locked except for a split second when you pull on the handle and it releases and then re-locks.

What is the range of the fob in automatic mode?

Approximately 1 meter (that's 3.3 feet).

What if my passenger also has one of the car's fobs?

Again, the car can tell where they are. It will use the fob in the driver's seat for starting the engine.

Well what if the driver has more than one fob?

The car chooses the fob with the lowest number. Of the four possible fobs, each one is assigned a different number (1, 2, 3, and 4.) So, obviously, the driver who takes the car out the most should have #1 and so on.

What if my fob fails? How do I get in or out?

The doors have manual releases near the floor. So if you're inside you can just pull one and get out (but also set off the alarm.) If an emergency crew is outside, they can break the window and pull the manual release (if an emergency crew is trying to get in, a broken window is the least of your worries.) Remember, the C5 was the same way--the doors were automatically locked while in motion, so emergency crews already had to do this. If you're outside and don't want to break your window , you can just use your key to open the trunk and then pull the door release cable.

What about starting the engine with a failed fob?

Simply insert the fob in the receptacle within the glove box. This works for those cases (the majority) where a fob problem is a low battery or interference.

How long does the fob battery last?

Don't know, but the car gives you plenty of warning via the DIC when the fob battery is detected as being low.

Won't the C6 have lots of problems that the C5 did not because of this new system?

Not really. Except for the triangulation calculation, there's nothing really new about the C6's system. The C5 also used membrane switches. The C5 also used a batter-powered fob which had to communicate with the car. The C5 also had power door locks. The C6 just uses the same technologies that the C5 already used, but in a better, more convenient manner.

The door suddenly won't open or opens only sometimes. Why?

It's possible that the fob is encountering radio interference from something such as a SpeedPass™ transmitter. All radio devices have this problem at times. The radio spectrum is a very crowded place.

Wow, the exact same information I got from my inside sources----- The internet, Corvette Forum. Digital Corvettes, Corvette Action Center, and about a half dozen different auto magazines.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:15 PM
GTrain
Team Owner

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Wow, the exact same information I got from my inside sources----- The internet, Corvette Forum. Digital Corvettes, Corvette Action Center, and about a half dozen different auto magazines.

Old 09-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

How long has this feud been going on?

Quick Reply: C6 access system faq.