C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally a Corvette owner again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 12:54 AM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Finally a Corvette owner again!

Got the call at 7:30 this morning and was on my way down there anyway. It was still covered with saran wrap, I have a bunch of pictures just no place to store them yet. They cleaned it up, did not test drive it, did not set anything up. I even drove it out of the wash bay up to the front. The car had 3 miles on it when I took delivery. This was a wonderful day, Champion Chevrolet in Reno was awesome, some guy came up and sat in the car and started pushing buttons, my salesman chased him away and the guy got pissed, salesman held his ground.
My observations:
1. C5 people, this is like old home week, you are at home in the C6.
2. Seats have better support, very comfortable and solid. Near perfect.
3. HUD is crisp, clear, and it is not dimmer, it is greener, not much but greener.
4. Steering wheel is very nice (still needs control buttons) the grip diameter seems larger than the C5 and over all has a better feel.
5. Very tight, very controlled, very fast. F55 has almost no body roll.
6. Sound is perfect for me, stomp on it and it makes plenty of noise. Exhaust note is deeper.
7. Radio sound is flat, CD is crisp. XM seems worse than local. Needs real tweeters. Touch screen works well, but too many button strokes to get to artist and song name when in NAV is on.
8. Nav is dead cool. Still have to learn how to use.
9. Removable top is lighter and is very manageable alone. Seems a bit tough to put back on compared to the C5, but that is probably because it is new. The handles are much different than the C5.
10. Pop up headlight are dead, HID are awesome, nice white even, wide spread light. Day and night difference. (pardon the pun)
11. Precision Red, When I first got there it was dirty and covered with saran wrap and I looked at the color and my heart sunk. But as the sun changed angle, things got much better. Then when it got cleaned up and the sun was a bit higher in the sky, everyone was blown away as to how beautiful the color was. It is indescribable. It looks dark in my garage under artificial light fluorescent lights do not do it justice, Natural light, turns it into a stunner. I am just as happy as I could be.
12. Cashmere carpets are very light colored and look very elegant. I like the black in the rear compartment.
13. Car is not as quiet as I expected, but better than the C5. I'm not convinced about those new tires. Although we have very rough roads here.
14. Interior is beautiful, silver painted center bezel does look better than I expected. Surfaces are very nice to touch. Very, very refined.
15, No keys, that is hard to get used to, But very cool. No buttons, just leave the fob in your pocket. Great stuff.
16, This thing stops and it stops now.
17, The A4 is rippin, the thing is always ready to go fast, it always downshifts just right. Be careful M6 people, you better be on Your best shifting and clutching, or you are in trouble when up against an A4. A 6 speed probably isn't necessary. Soooo much torque.
18, The guages are awesome, makes the C5 dash seem old fashion. Even the needles are lit brightly in the daytime. I didn't think I would like the stainless bezels, I was wrong.
19. Door handles are drop dead cool, the hatch is a pleasure to close, and the indexing window are sweet, although when you close the door, it scares you when it indexes, you think someone is doing something to the window outside,

All in all I love this car, also they deleted my transparent top, I wouldn't have used it anyway, so they took off the 1400 bucks and will allow me to buy one at dealer cost when and if I want one.

The bad news is there is a scratch and a blemish in the paint. Hardly noticeable, and will be fixed when I want to give up the car for 2 days.

Life is good.

Last edited by TedG; 09-03-2004 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:03 AM
wlee013
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations! I am getting F55 with auto and enjoyed your review. This will be my first Vette whenever it shows up.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

All right, congratulations, Ted! You 'bout had all of us tore up, looking for your car.

Great report, but too many positives. Surely there's something about it you don't like (besides the scratch - bummer).

Have heard that the Precision Red looks different in different lighting conditions, all of them good looks.

Are there any kind of under-floor storage compartments in the back hatch area like I had on my C4?

Old 09-03-2004, 01:09 AM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! We'll never hear from you again I bet.

One question though. The ride height. Does it need lowering? Is it comparable to the C5?
Old 09-03-2004, 01:12 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Good to read your glowing report. All the comments from new owners have also been positive. I have a DSOM coming in with the F55. It was interesting and good to hear what you thought about it. Good Luck
Old 09-03-2004, 02:00 AM
TedG
Safety Car

Lets see under floor storage, the only under floor storage is two small compartments in the rear.

Ride height remindes me of the C5, acceptable, but could use lowering.

Too many positives, let me think... Ok I hate the fact that the sport seats don't have Corvette embroidered on them. I wish the street mode on the HUD had more info, like being able to see the fuel gauge, or the other we are used to. The track modes have them but the MPH indicator is smaller in track mode. Also when they said the center console compartment is deeper, they should have said slightly deeper.

The vinyl shifter boot sucks the big green one.

Not good not bad, you don't notice the GPS antenna but when you look above the mirror, the black dot masking on the windshield is strange.

Everyone who has seen the car has been stunned. It is nothing like the pictures. PR has brought more good comments than you can imagine. The body shape blows people away. The headlights just make people drool. Nothing but positive, comments especially from C5 owners.

Also the cupholders actually work.

The list of dislikes is just short.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:13 AM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TedG
Ride height remindes me of the C5, acceptable, but could use lowering.

Too many positives, let me think... Ok I hate the fact that the sport seats don't have Corvette embroidered on them.

I wish the street mode on the HUD had more info, like being able to see the fuel gauge, or the other we are used to.

Everyone who has seen the car has been stunned. It is nothing like the pictures. PR has brought more good comments than you can imagine. The body shape blows people away. The headlights just make people drool. Nothing but positive, comments especially from C5 owners.

Also the cupholders actually work.

The list of dislikes is just short.
Again to camp on Ted's comments (thanx Ted)

Yeah.. the seats should have had the logo I agree.

Yeah.. fuel guage on the HUD.. That's what I really need also.

Yes everyone that has seen this car has been stunned I agree. The headlights are super cool not just from looks but from OPTICS. Those old pop ups are dead. If I see one more photochop of a C6 with pupups.. I'm going think.. "my pappy just had to see the popups again.. get a life"
Old 09-03-2004, 02:29 AM
LoneWarrior2552
Instructor

Congrats Ted!!! I hope you have the best luck with it! It's gotta be good to be a vette owner again....
Old 09-03-2004, 02:58 AM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by TedG
Got the call at 7:30 this morning and was on my way down there anyway. It was still covered with saran wrap, I have a bunch of pictures just no place to store them yet. They cleaned it up, did not test drive it, did not set anything up. I even drove it out of the wash bay up to the front. The car had 3 miles on it when I took delivery. This was a wonderful day, Champion Chevrolet in Reno was awesome, some guy came up and sat in the car and started pushing buttons, my salesman chased him away and the guy got pissed, salesman held his ground.
My observations:
1. C5 people, this is like old home week, you are at home in the C6.
2. Seats have better support, very comfortable and solid. Near perfect.
3. HUD is crisp, clear, and it is not dimmer, it is greener, not much but greener.
4. Steering wheel is very nice (still needs control buttons) the grip diameter seems larger than the C5 and over all has a better feel.
5. Very tight, very controlled, very fast. F55 has almost no body roll.
6. Sound is perfect for me, stomp on it and it makes plenty of noise. Exhaust note is deeper.
7. Radio sound is flat, CD is crisp. XM seems worse than local. Needs real tweeters. Touch screen works well, but too many button strokes to get to artist and song name when in NAV is on.
8. Nav is dead cool. Still have to learn how to use.
9. Removable top is lighter and is very manageable alone. Seems a bit tough to put back on compared to the C5, but that is probably because it is new. The handles are much different than the C5.
10. Pop up headlight are dead, HID are awesome, nice white even, wide spread light. Day and night difference. (pardon the pun)
11. Precision Red, When I first got there it was dirty and covered with saran wrap and I looked at the color and my heart sunk. But as the sun changed angle, things got much better. Then when it got cleaned up and the sun was a bit higher in the sky, everyone was blown away as to how beautiful the color was. It is indescribable. It looks dark in my garage under artificial light fluorescent lights do not do it justice, Natural light, turns it into a stunner. I am just as happy as I could be.
12. Cashmere carpets are very light colored and look very elegant. I like the black in the rear compartment.
13. Car is not as quiet as I expected, but better than the C5. I'm not convinced about those new tires. Although we have very rough roads here.
14. Interior is beautiful, silver painted center bezel does look better than I expected. Surfaces are very nice to touch. Very, very refined.
15, No keys, that is hard to get used to, But very cool. No buttons, just leave the fob in your pocket. Great stuff.
16, This thing stops and it stops now.
17, The A4 is rippin, the thing is always ready to go fast, it always downshifts just right. Be careful M6 people, you better be on Your best shifting and clutching, or you are in trouble when up against an A4. A 6 speed probably isn't necessary. Soooo much torque.
18, The guages are awesome, makes the C5 dash seem old fashion. Even the needles are lit brightly in the daytime. I didn't think I would like the stainless bezels, I was wrong.
19. Door handles are drop dead cool, the hatch is a pleasure to close, and the indexing window are sweet, although when you close the door, it scares you when it indexes, you think someone is doing something to the window outside,

All in all I love this car, also they deleted my transparent top, I wouldn't have used it anyway, so they took off the 1400 bucks and will allow me to buy one at dealer cost when and if I want one.

The bad news is there is a scratch and a blemish in the paint. Hardly noticeable, and will be fixed when I want to give up the car for 2 days.

Life is good.
ted what is your VIN as i have not gotten mine yet?
Old 09-03-2004, 04:50 AM
Kaosinla
Pro

Location: Beverly Hills No Job is Too Small, No Fee is Too Big!!!

Congrats!!!! Good Review!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 05:04 AM
zrider
Cruising

Default congrats

Congrats Ted
We seem to have ordered the same vette, I'm glad to hear the glowing report on the F55. Nice to hear the cashmere goes nicely in with it

Again Congrats and Enjoy the RIDE

27U PR Coupe
cashmere
F55 Magnetic Sel. Ride
U3U Navigation
1SB

Last edited by zrider; 09-03-2004 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:42 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Default All But One!

Ted, glad you finally got it. That PR does surprise you doesn't it. It was the right choice for me. I only disagree with one of your observations, the one about the steering wheel needing controls. It looks clean without them and besides, for me, I usually drive with left hand on the wheel (about 6:30 up against "Popin Fresh's" right leg), and my right resting on the shift stick. With the right hand there, it is actually closer to the dash controls and you do not need to change driving position to reach them. Not like my Monte Carlo where dash controls are miles away. Other GM cars I've had had the cruise control on the left hand stick. I prefer it there. No need to clutter up the wheel with this, who likes to drive on auto pilot anyway? Another negative I haven't seen posted yet. With Polorized sun glasses on, the read outs on the radio and climate control look all fuzy, almost unreadible. No problem with the guages thu. What happened GM, my other older GM products don't have this problem. This is so bad I'm going to call it in to Corvette Central. John
Old 09-03-2004, 07:23 AM
HHC5
Melting Slicks

Congrats and good report. I will never be without F55--I sure like it on my 04 AND I will have to have it on my C6 in a couple years.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:01 AM
smokeyburnouts
Burning Brakes

congrats
Old 09-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Dave_Busch
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome back to the club.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:43 AM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, Ted! MY TPW was this week, 8/30. I will be in Incline village this weekend, my wife and I are leaving today (Fri) and will be there through Tuesday. We are staying at my mother and father's house on the lake, 2 doors down from the Hyatt. I'd love to see your car and chat for a while, why don't you come up and we'll have a drink and maybe go for a boat ride? I have a 35' Fountain there that I'm going to launch tonight if the lake is calm.

Here's a pic from the beach of our property looking towards the Hyatt dock and bar:

Last edited by vetracer; 09-03-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:48 AM
SinCityJet
Instructor

Congratulations, Ted! I've got an A4 with F55 being built in 2 weeks, so I'm thrilled to hear your report.

Enjoy the long weekend with your baby!

Get notified of new replies

To Finally a Corvette owner again!

Old 09-03-2004, 09:57 AM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Great tread ted,enjoy your new ride!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:57 AM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-03-2004, 11:45 AM
TedG
Safety Car

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, talk about making someone feel good. I am trying to be as unbiased as I can be considering the circumstances, so there are some realistic expectations.

Ok, driving in to work this morning with the nav on, I wanted to change stations on the XM, I am so used to being able to do that from the steering wheel, it really hit home that it needs at least the radio controls. Oh well.

Clem: #1175. You need to have a serious talk with your dealer.

As the car loosens up (only 100) miles, there is a big difference in acceleration. My C5 which had the 3.15 gears also was nothing like this. This is the next best thing to a fast motorcycle.

Own the thing for a day and you don't even notice the XM antenna. Also XM is all set up now from the factory and they start your 3 month countdown when the dealer reports the sale to GM. Onstar works the same as always push the button and they enroll you for a year, don't forget to tell them to give you your 30 free calling minutes.

Now to comment on the wheels, most of the gear heads here will appreciate this, the wheels have the perfect luster to distinguish them from chrome, they look like polished aluminum. They almost look ceramic coated (those of you who have seen that coating will understand). The polish job is consistent, no buffer marks. As with any stock polished wheel they are clear coated. My wife looked at them and was underwhelmed, then I took some Zaino Z6 to them and buffed them up, She was dazzled.

These seats, all I can say is WOW.

OK that is enough ranting for now. You C5ers, if you loved your C5 you will flat adore this car.

Last edited by TedG; 09-03-2004 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally a Corvette owner again!