C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help... 08 window indexing problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:06 PM
mcmtac14
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help... 08 window indexing problem!

Hi all! My o8 JSB has been great, have 6000 miles on it but it just started something strange. When I open and close the driver side door the window lowers and raises repeatedly and will not stop. I have to open and close the door many times to get it to stop. I am concerned that it will kill the batter or get stuck open in the rain. I know this is a warranty issue but has anyone seen this, had it fixed.... how long at the stealership???

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:17 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mcmtac14
Hi all! My o8 JSB has been great, have 6000 miles on it but it just started something strange. When I open and close the driver side door the window lowers and raises repeatedly and will not stop. I have to open and close the door many times to get it to stop. I am concerned that it will kill the batter or get stuck open in the rain. I know this is a warranty issue but has anyone seen this, had it fixed.... how long at the stealership???

Thanks in advance!
I have an 08 and no problem, never heard of this before. Have you tried to re-index it.. check your manual but I think it goes something like:

Lower the window all the way, wait three seconds, raise the window all the way, wait three seconds, then pull the "up" button again and hold for a few seconds. Need to do it with the door closed, needs to get start and stop points..

I think.. !

Good luck..
Old 04-17-2008, 11:18 PM
clydetrb
Drifting

Originally Posted by azcanuk
I have an 08 and no problem, never heard of this before. Have you tried to re-index it.. check your manual but I think it goes something like:

Lower the window all the way, wait three seconds, raise the window all the way, wait three seconds, then pull the "up" button again and hold for a few seconds. Need to do it with the door closed, needs to get start and stop points..

I think.. !

Good luck..

If this doesn't work, disco the battery for a few minutes and try it again
Old 04-17-2008, 11:23 PM
mcmtac14
Instructor

thanks Azcunuk... I will give it a try first thing in the morning.... It's closed now so I won't do the battery disco.... it's to the dealer tomorrow if this does not work... if it does I will post for all interested!

Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 PM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take this with you if you have to go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1993582
Old 04-17-2008, 11:57 PM
mcmtac14
Instructor

wow Nevada... awesome!
Just wonder how long the deler will tke to get the prts...lol!

Many thanks!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 AM
RustyBullets
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Window indexing

I just haade this problem on my '07. First problem in 15,000 plus miles. Took it to the dealership in Kent. Mech. said he fixed a Z06 the day before. There is a service bulletin out on the fix. A switch behind the door handle was replaced. I was in and out in 16 minutes. Fixed, no more problems.
The following users liked this post:
Corvettejack08 (11-15-2015)
Old 04-18-2008, 12:16 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 339 Posts

Default I can help you

I had the same problem on my 07 and fixed it myself. Reindexing will not work nor will disconnecting the battery. You have to remove the two screws holding the door opener and take it off. You will then be able to unplug it. Make sure that you don't let the plug fall inside of the door. I just used a small piece of tape to hold it to the door. At this point you have two options. The first is to leave it unplugged for about 5 minutes ( do not disconnect the battery) and then reassemble and test. If it works well for several tries then you are probably fixed.This is not the same as just disconnecting the battery. If it does not, then you need to remove it again and this time you must take the switch apart. You do this by removing the very small screws and it will come apart in two pieces. You will see the contacts and the circuit board that operate the switch. Clean the contacts where they meet the circuit board and your problem is solved. reassemble and you are done. I have not ever had another problem. I figured this out on my own because I did not want the dealer touching it. Good luck. I hope this helps. Jay
Old 04-18-2008, 12:20 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

There is a TSB on this issue, but I can't find the text of it. If you end up going to the dealership...give them the number to look up, TSB 08-08-64-001. It references unexplained window up-down etc...sounds relevant to your situation. They came up with a fix...so it shouldn't be a problem for you. Good luck!

Edit.....Thanks NevadaVette & Ken...That's the one....you da man!!

Last edited by cclive; 04-18-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Jsmooth
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my 07 a6 out of the Shop last week for same problem ,, Took it to the dealer ,, Said he had to reprogram the window ,, I didnt wait on them ,, But car was ready a couple hours later that day ,,
Old 04-18-2008, 07:57 AM
clint4vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Jsmooth
Just got my 07 a6 out of the Shop last week for same problem ,, Took it to the dealer ,, Said he had to reprogram the window ,, I didnt wait on them ,, But car was ready a couple hours later that day ,,
We just got our 08 a week ago and I was watching the cd/dvd/ that came with the car in the office yestarday. IT covered this very topic in it. If you loose battery power even momentarily, you will need to re-program the indexing. I believe it was in chapter 4 of the DVD portion.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 AM
mcmtac14
Instructor

ok.... took her to the dealer today for the window indexing problem.... they told me the tech reprogrammed it.... I told then I did that and they said that they can do more through the scanner,,,, hmmmm,,,,, well got it home and shut the door as I got out.... no problem! One hour later went out to go for a drive.... same problem back again! Well tomorrow they are going to waste another 3 hours of my time.....

I even showed them the TSB from the forum...... they were kinda rude that their info is correct and the forum was not..... well last laughs come tomorrow!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:24 AM
clydetrb
Drifting

Too bad these clowns wasted your time. Seems like they have the "we know more than you" attitude. Ask to talk to the Service Manager to air your issue. Maybe they will be able to comp you some how due to the inconvenience (car wash coupons or oil change) for a friend or one of your other cars!. Good Luck
Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 PM
mcmtac14
Instructor

Here is the update to what is a joke of an issue..... Took my 08 back and this time they agreed that the door switches need to be replaced! Great news right.... well they only had one in stock even though GM says to replace both when the non stop up and down indexing issue happens. So it looks like I have to go back for a third time..... is this car considered a lemon yet and can I get a new one?? Only kidding, I really love the car... just the dealer service needs to come up to the level of the car's performance .....
Old 04-25-2008, 12:14 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Not to be pushy here but if you do what I previously suggested then you do not have to go back to them at all. Your problem will be solved with no reocurrence. I know that it is under warranty and the TSB say's to replace but if you want it fixed right then do it yourself. It is very simple. Good luck
Old 04-25-2008, 12:50 AM
mcmtac14
Instructor

simple.... new car.... warranty.... GM and the dealer should stand behind it. If no warranty and I would never take it to the dealer. My previous vette was an 02, did all of the little Vette issues myself, bought used with no warranty! Thanks for the tips though.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:52 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I just don't understand service people sometimes. If you come in with a legitimate TSB in hand, and since it is numbered, they can look it up in the computer, why would they just ignore it. GM worked hard trying to figure out what was wrong to cause this problem, and then they just blow it off??? Amazing.

Get notified of new replies

To help... 08 window indexing problem!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:45 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

I understand how you feel. They should both be replaced the next time that you take it in. I only made the suggestion in case you wanted to avoid the dealer. I am sure that they will fix it for you. I agree that it is an aggreviating problem.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by deejaydu
I understand how you feel. They should both be replaced the next time that you take it in. I only made the suggestion in case you wanted to avoid the dealer. I am sure that they will fix it for you. I agree that it is an aggreviating problem.
Very kind and gracious of you, deejay. Very stupid of dealer service dept.

OP, don't forget to write someone in GM about this dealer service dept. Never hurts for someone, somewhere in GM to know a little about their supposed competent franchisees and GM's own TSBs.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:51 PM
LouS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Same problem here...

I had this same problem on my 08 just yesterday. Driver side window indexing starting flipping out. I first swapped the left and right door switches and the problem moved to the passenger side so I knew it was the switch. Tried the method that deejaydu suggested and it didn't work. I even lightly sanded the traces on the circuit board to make a better connection and that didn't help. Got it to work on and off but still no good.

If anyone cares, this is my opinion of what is going on. There are 4 spring blade contacts on the membrane switch. One of these blades controls the indexing of the window. This particular blade is probably out of tolerance in the bend of the blade and too close to the circuit board and therefore making/breaking contact over and over. I guess it gets worse over time as you utilize the door switch and the switch/contacts give and wear and get closer to the board. They probably had a bad batch of switches at the factory.

Anyway, called the dealer, asked for the service manager, threw the dealer GM's name out (since I worked my deal through him) and told them I already isolated the problem to the switch. The service mgr checked to see if they had the parts in stock, which they did. So I went down on my lunch today and they replaced both drvr and pass switches and I was on my way in about 20 minutes. Excellent service from Holler Chevrolet!

Lou S.

Quick Reply: help... 08 window indexing problem!