Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2007 Shocks -- Final Word From Tadge

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 2007 Shocks -- Final Word From Tadge

Based on previous threads I figured a screw was loose somewhere, so, I called Tadge Juechter, chief vehicle engineer for Corvette, and asked him about his comments to Car & Driver that appeared in the March issue regarding a change of shocks.

He actually returned my call (took me a long time to find him and get through the layers at GM) and he told me that they did their testing for the Z06 at VIR and other tracks that were smoother than at Grattan, where C&D did their tests. The Corvette suspension guys were happy with the 2006 shocks but after C&D complained about the way it handled at Grattan then in the summer of 2006 the engineers went to that track and determined that C&D was correct (at least for Grattan, a rougher track). So, considering everything, they decided to develop new rear shocks and they were installed on the cars that were given to the press fleet to test as 2007 Z06s. Tadge recalls that the shocks are not very different, but enough to make some difference at Grattan.

They fully INTENDED the new rear shocks to begin with the 2007 model year, however, Tadge said that the supplier had problems with shipping / containers / etc / and the new rear shocks have not actually been placed on the production line yet. Tadge said he thought (he's not absolutely positive just when) that the new shocks would begin to be installed in a couple of weeks on the production line. The new rear shocks will have a new part number.

Further, they decided a few months ago that Europe would get a different shock than either of the US rear shocks, because of the higher autobahn type speeds that they have over there. Europe has complained that the car was not buttoned down enough and US customers complain that the ride is too harsh. Hence, the 2 different rear shocks (I don't know if Europe is receiving their specific rear shocks yet).

The front shocks are all the same -- whether 2006, late 2007 or Europe (this is according to Tadge's best recollection).

I hope this helps clear up this Q. We Corvette owners can get pretty crazy when it comes to details on our cars ....... and in this particular case everyone was correct. C&D had the new shocks when they tested at Grattan and they were right (at least for the rougher track). Allanlaw was also correct that the part # was the same and that no change had occurred yet.

I really appreciate that a busy executive like Tadge returned my call. Very nice guy!!!

Last edited by Norm_427; 03-02-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input.

To the part number issue...

In the automotive industry, it would be common for the new shock to keep the old part number. However, the new part will have to receive a revision or index to indicate the difference to the old part. I am not sure how GM sorts out their part indexes or part revisions.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:18 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ok....so press fleet only vehicles? good info

I'm sure this will be a hot item for '06/'07 owners to add later
Old 03-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Pat07c6z
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YAY!! So we are back up to 12 reasons why an 07 (most anyway) is better than an 06!!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU-BY-U
ok....so press fleet only vehicles? good info

I'm sure this will be a hot item for '06/'07 owners to add later
OK - so now how do I buy an ex GM press car ??
Old 03-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Pat07c6z
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Closer_2001
OK - so now how do I buy an ex GM press car ??
"Tadge said he thought that the new shocks would begin to be installed in a couple of weeks on the production line."
Old 03-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think I'm going to get the new shocks for my early 2007. I drive on a smooth track & autox and I don't think the slight change will be worth it.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Swiftwater Z06
Racer

Thanks for your effort in resolving this question. We have resolution but it's not very satisfying to a new '07 owner.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat07c6z
YAY!! So we are back up to 12 reasons why an 07 (most anyway) is better than an 06!!
Oh, so you have one of the 2-3 press vehicles with new shocks?

Well done, Norm. But, it was a bit misleading to lead the press to believe that the 07 production cars had those shocks, when exactly none of the production cars did. As I said in the other thread, writers embellish the facts, and so do automaker spokesmen.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-01-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:11 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pat07c6z
"Tadge said he thought that the new shocks would begin to be installed in a couple of weeks on the production line."
Pat...that Tadge comment was from today. You would still need to trade in the '07 you have right now and get a yet to be produced '07 to get the new shock
Old 03-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Verrückt
Thanks for the input.

To the part number issue...

In the automotive industry, it would be common for the new shock to keep the old part number. However, the new part will have to receive a revision or index to indicate the difference to the old part. I am not sure how GM sorts out their part indexes or part revisions.
Seems to me that means it gets a new part number.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:19 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Wow, this is awesome on so many levels. First, that an owner can have direct, personal access to the vehicle engineer, second that GM is so sensitive in responding to driver feedback. If they can roll this approach out to all divisions and products, they can be the best car company in the world.

What would be even nicer, is if we could count on the rags for ACCURATE reporting and fair testing. Nowhere in the C&D article is it mentioned that the Z06 was non-production. And upon re-reading the article, I see the Porsche was riding on Michelin PSCs, a race tire. That is total BS. What is funny is that even with that, the Z06 was quicker around Buttonwillow by 1 second.

That is the second time I see this kind of BS testing. A few months ago, R&T ran a comparo in which the Z06/Viper/FGT ran 1mn course against F430/Gallardo/P911TT. The Italians were quickest and the editors raved about grip, braking, steering response etc. When you look at the fine print, the Italians were running on Pirelli Corsas, a race tire.

Please rags, get your **** together.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Wow, this is awesome on so many levels. First, that an owner can have direct, personal access to the vehicle engineer, second that GM is so sensitive in responding to driver feedback. If they can roll this approach out to all divisions and products, they can be the best car company in the world.

What would be even nicer, is if we could count on the rags for ACCURATE reporting and fair testing. Nowhere in the C&D article is it mentioned that the Z06 was non-production. And upon re-reading the article, I see the Porsche was riding on Michelin PSCs, a race tire. That is total BS. What is funny is that even with that, the Z06 was quicker around Buttonwillow by 1 second.

That is the second time I see this kind of BS testing. A few months ago, R&T ran a comparo in which the Z06/Viper/FGT ran 1mn course against F430/Gallardo/P911TT. The Italians were quickest and the editors raved about grip, braking, steering response etc. When you look at the fine print, the Italians were running on Pirelli Corsas, a race tire.

Please rags, get your **** together.
In this rare instance, I'm gonna have to come to the defense of the magazine. C&D didn't know the Z06 they were testing was different from production 07s, because they were led to believe by GM that it was an already incorporated production change, which it was not.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:26 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary

I have quotes from GM engineers in the FAQ from me emailing them from the email addresses in SAE papers.

I will add this info to the FAQ.

Porsche also gives US customers a softer ride due to complaints.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh
In this rare instance, I'm gonna have to come to the defense of the magazine. C&D didn't know the Z06 they were testing was different from production 07s, because they were led to believe by GM that it was an already incorporated production change, which it was not.
Correct. And in GM's defense they THOUGHT it was going to be incorporated on the 2007s but the supplier couldn't deliver for whatever reason(s).
Old 03-01-2007, 03:39 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by normlunt
Correct. And in GM's defense they THOUGHT it was going to be incorporated on the 2007s but the supplier couldn't deliver for whatever reason(s).
And the guys who think their '07 Z's ride so much better than the '06 Z's because of the missing new shocks - can you say "placibo"? (or maybe just the effect of driving on newer tires)
Old 03-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Foosh
Seems to me that means it gets a new part number.
It depends on how and where the part is shown.

Not all documentation or databases show the full part number. Like I said, I'm not sure how GM documents part indexes or revisions. The difference may not show up everywhere.

By the book, yes...the new index should be distinguishable. At the dealer level, the records and staff might not be "up to date".

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 Shocks -- Final Word From Tadge

Old 03-01-2007, 03:41 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by normlunt
I really appreciate that a busy executive like Tadge returned my call. Very nice guy!!!
It's been my experience that the GM Corvette execs really do care and will respond when you talk to them. The dealers are a whole other world.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
I have quotes from GM engineers in the FAQ from me emailing them from the email addresses in SAE papers.

I will add this info to the FAQ.

Porsche also gives US customers a softer ride due to complaints.
This is the case with most "world" cars. The US cars get softer suspension and higher ride heights for the most part. This is due to customer demographic and DOT regulations. It's the same for BMW, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, etc.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:44 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Verrückt
It depends on how and where the part is shown.
It goes on the real-time parts ordering system that all the GM parts dealers use. We are not still in the days of looking this stuff up in obsolete hard copy catalogs.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2007 Shocks -- Final Word From Tadge