C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know for sure if the rear on the Z06 and the C6 is any different??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:26 AM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Does anyone know for sure if the rear on the Z06 and the C6 is any different??

I have been told by several that the rears are identical except the Z06 has a bigger cooler. Anyone know for sure????
Old 01-01-2007, 11:26 AM
excessive81
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totaly Diffrent
Old 01-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by kenw
I have been told by several that the rears are identical except the Z06 has a bigger cooler. Anyone know for sure????
Yes sir they are completely different. The Z06 uses a 9" Differential.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 01-01-2007, 12:36 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Hall
Yes sir they are completely different. The Z06 uses a 9" Differential.
Thank you.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:02 PM
LloydP
Racer

Originally Posted by kenw
Check the Getrag site.

http://www.getrag.de/308.1?criteria1...sse=0&x=18&y=7

The C6 uses a Model 625 rated at 1542 nm
The Z06 uses a Model 626 rated at 1808 nm

About 17% higher rating for the Z06
Old 01-01-2007, 08:40 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by LloydP
Check the Getrag site.

http://www.getrag.de/308.1?criteria1...sse=0&x=18&y=7

The C6 uses a Model 625 rated at 1542 nm
The Z06 uses a Model 626 rated at 1808 nm

About 17% higher rating for the Z06
good find
Old 01-02-2007, 01:19 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

07 cars share the same diff as the Z06. My C6 has the same diff as a Z06, If that is limited to Z51 cars or not, I am not sure.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:32 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
07 cars share the same diff as the Z06. My C6 has the same diff as a Z06, If that is limited to Z51 cars or not, I am not sure.
Unless everything I have read is incorrect his is untrue. The Z06 has a larger output shaft from the trans than the base cars and they cant be swapped. If this is not right I look forward to receiving the correct information.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:59 AM
0MDMCZ06
Former Vendor

True, the ZO6 main shaft is .055 larger in diameter. Whether this is the same on the 2007 model base car or not, I'm not sure. One side note of interest, C5 hardened output shafts will fit the ZO6 diff.

We have a new GM ZO6 diff with the hardened shafts, micropolished internals, blueprinted by RPM transmissions for sale in the ZO6 section if anybody needs one.

Ed
Old 01-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Here are the facts

In 2006, the TREMEC T56 Transmission for the Z06 got a one-piece countershaft for added durability; 32-spline output shaft was added for durability; rear extension housing bolt pattern change; DEXRON VI compatible;

The Z06 package came with a stronger single-piece countershaft, which replaced the two-piece countershaft. The Z06 uses the MM6 6 speed transmission, the Z51 C6 uses the MZ6 version of the 6 speed, with ratios from the M12 Cadillac CTS-V M12 tranny. These ratios are higher in first, second, and third gears than the MM6 Z06 tranny, and has a slighty lower-ratio fifth gear to increase top speed in fifth gear to 186 mph on the 400 HP LS2 C6.

The output shaft was enlarged to a 32-spline unit, which is more durable than the 27-spline unit used in the standard C6 Corvette applications. The rear differential was also increased in size from an 8.25 inch ring gear to a 9 inch ring gear and a larger pinion gear. The bias ratio on the limited-slip differential was increase to 2.5:1 from the C6's 2:1 ratio, and the rear end side-cover mounting arms were made stiffer as well.

In mid 2006, the six speeds came filled with DEXRON VI, which was developed to behave more consistently during temp variations, and provide even lubrication in the tranny.

In 2007, the C6 may have adopted some of the changes, but I doubt that the ring and pinion were upgraded to the Z06 level.

Now if someone could come up with stronger CV joints made of 300M or DVR forged steel, we might be able to launch the Z06 without breaking the CV joints. So far, the fix is to retro the parts back to C5 era parts, which makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

Jim Hall

Last edited by Halltech; 01-03-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:45 PM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Hall
In 2006, the TREMEC T56 Transmission for the Z06 got a one-piece countershaft for added durability; 32-spline output shaft was added for durability; rear extension housing bolt pattern change; DEXRON VI compatible;

The Z06 package came with a stronger single-piece countershaft, which replaced the two-piece countershaft. The Z06 uses the MM6 6 speed transmission, the Z51 C6 uses the MZ6 version of the 6 speed, with ratios from the M12 Cadillac CTS-V M12 tranny. These ratios are higher in first, second, and third gears than the MM6 Z06 tranny, and has a slighty lower-ratio fifth gear to increase top speed in fifth gear to 186 mph on the 400 HP LS2 C6.

The output shaft was enlarged to a 32-spline unit, which is more durable than the 27-spline unit used in the standard C6 Corvette applications. The rear differential was also increased in size from an 8.25 inch ring gear to a 9 inch ring gear and a larger pinion gear. The bias ratio on the limited-slip differential was increase to 2.5:1 from the C6's 2:1 ratio, and the rear end side-cover mounting arms were made stiffer as well.

In mid 2006, the six speeds came filled with DEXRON VI, which was developed to behave more consistently during temp variations, and provide even lubrication in the tranny.

In 2007, the C6 may have adopted some of the changes, but I doubt that the ring and pinion were upgraded to the Z06 level.

Now if someone could come up with stronger CV joints made of 300M or DVR forged steel, we might be able to launch the Z06 without breaking the CV joints. So far, the fix is to retro the parts back to C5 era parts, which makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

Jim Hall
Everywhere I have read the output shaft was increased from 27 spline to 32 spline. Someone needs to learn how to count. They are actually only a 30 spline.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions
Everywhere I have read the output shaft was increased from 27 spline to 32 spline. Someone needs to learn how to count. They are actually only a 30 spline.
Actually, this was from a GM Press release, but I'm sure you have seen the shaft in person, unlike the rest of us.

BTW. I have synchro problems; just took my Z06 in for the roof and brake pad recall, and mentioned it to the SM. Do you think the earlier 06s using DEXTRON III might be the problem? Could the DEXTRON VI be the simple fix, or a trip to your shop?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Hmmm, contradictory information from the pros. Still waiting for the smart guys to put this one to rest.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:01 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is good.....

BTW~ Someone PM'd us to reply to this; however, we're not interested in commenting on this subject with the correct information, because everytime we do, we get butchered for it for trying to help, by the "internet experts" that come out of the wood-work. No more......

We will say that our HD cast iron differential case is unitized in design that it encompasses *ALL* differential models from 1997-2007, regardless of design, equipment, vehicle platform or otherwise.

Last edited by DTE Powertrain; 01-04-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Without comment, here is where we got our facts:

http://www.bluedevilvette.com/Trans_rearendinfo.pdf
Old 01-04-2007, 10:37 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We're certainly not trying to discredit you directly Jim by any means, (heck, we use YOUR air-intake products) however, it's not uncommon for those press releases to contain inaccurate, miss-leading information- especialy when actual production parts undergo a design change from when the original press release was first issued.

We can tell you with 100% accuracy from direct, hand-on experience from building these C5/C6 differentials everyday for a multitude of performance applications for many tuners/installers/warehouses/racers all across the USA- some of the information in that press release, as well as most of the info in this thread (and on the internet in general) are dead wrong....period.

We've tried to come on here and provide others with qualified, credible information in the past as a customer service courtesy, so everyone would better understand what model had what, but everytime we've done so, we have gotton ridiculed/butchered for no reason time-and-time again for whatever reason by other "internet experts" that claim to know our product better than we do, despite our in-depth engineering knowledge of the products we make a successful living at producing/building/manufacturing everyday. That gets old after a while and we no longer have any use for internet debates from "internet experts" that have no credibility of direct, hands-on knowledge of the issue to even be there in the first place. Often times, those unconstructive internet debates foster anger and frustration amoung a larger group of folks trying to actually learn and then no one benefits from anything.

Of course, there are many folks that actually do contribute a wealth of good information on the internet on a variety of topics and they present that info with professionalism; therefore, they are heard and respected. However, those kind of folks are few and far between unfortunately and the internet becomes a deep sounce of overwhelming B.S. overall, rather than the converse.

I'm sure you know what I mean Jim, as you've had to fight a few internet battles yourself over you products over the years from what I've seen. That's ok though, as your obvious success of your business suggests that you know your product better than anyone else and you keep doing what you do to maintain that success. The same goes for us here.

Sorry for the long-winded read, but I'm very passionate about what we do here and feel very strongly about the the issue.... Have a great day!

Best Regards,
Phil- DTE
Old 01-04-2007, 12:21 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Some of us are not experts, would like to know the truth, and hate being misinformed. I understand and appreciate your position but you have achieved nothing here other than to vent your frustrations.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone know for sure if the rear on the Z06 and the C6 is any different??

Old 01-04-2007, 01:05 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

When will the HD cast iron case be available?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:04 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

So, Phil DTE, what is the answer? I see too many answers in here and if you take them apart and can count to 32, you should be able to give the skinny. Do I need to search and find that this has been answered elsewehere on the site?

TIA,

Elmer
Old 01-05-2007, 10:21 PM
crabman
Safety Car

I believe I'll keep this one up at the top for a day or two and see if maybe we can get some solid answers. ttt

Quick Reply: Does anyone know for sure if the rear on the Z06 and the C6 is any different??