C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The LATEST information on C6 Roof Separation-6/29/06

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default The LATEST information on C6 Roof Separation-6/29/06

Date: June 29, 2006

Subject: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette Including Z06 Repair Procedure for Painted Roofs that may separate

On Feb 21, GM released customer satisfaction program 05112 which was last revised on June 23 under version 05112D. This new version includes additional 2005 and 2006 vehicles including the Z06. It provides instruction to inspect roofs as well as a service procedure for a temporary repair that
will allow the roof panel to be secured to the roof frame and allow the customer to safely operate the vehicle until a replacement roof is available.
The demand for replacement roofs has temporarily exceeded the capacity to produce them causing a large number of back orders. A new SMC roof panel is being developed and is expected to be available no later than mid-August. Dealers with stock orders for part number 19120484 and 19120244 should be aware that these parts will be discontinued sometime in July and replaced with a new part number for the SMC roof

On May 24, GM announced a pending safety recall for this condition involving 2005 and 2006 including the Z06 built prior to May 31. Approximately 31,000 vehicles will be involved and dealers will be advised when a release date has been established. The replacement roof for vehicles involved in this recall will use the SMC roof instead of the polycarbonate panel. Orders for service replacement roofs will be filled first then the SMC roof will be moved into production.

Date: June 23, 2006

Subject: 05112D – Customer Satisfaction Program
Painted Roof Adhesive Separation
Vehicle Population and Service Procedure Revised

Models: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette with Painted Roof

To: All Chevrolet Dealers

Attention: Service Manager, Parts Manager
and Warranty Administrator

Customer Satisfaction Program Bulletin 05112C was released on June 7, 2006 via GM Administrative Message WIR20060307.

This bulletin is being revised to include Z06 model vehicles. A new service procedure and labor time have also been added.

A copy of revised bulletin 05112D is attached below. Please review the new information immediately and discard all copies of bulletin 05112C.

The Service Information System (SI) version of this bulletin will be available on June 24, 2006.

GMVIS information for the additional vehicles will be available on June 24, 2006.

Go here for the service bulletin:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/ken...onbulletin.pdf
Old 06-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Red Flagger
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What about early production 2007 roofs???

Considering that the "new" SMC roof will not be available until sometime in August, will a 1 for 1 swap be made for the early production 2007 models? OR will it be available as an additional purchase option? I'd hate to think I would be penalized for buying a 2007 coupe from the first week's production run.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Jim'sGem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too.
Jim
Old 06-29-2006, 06:26 PM
C64BOB
Racer

The problem with this is if your roof hasn't seperated at all yet then they inject it and do not change it. So you're stuck with the original faulty design which has a high probability of biting you later. Now where did I leave my heatlamp...
Old 06-29-2006, 06:46 PM
bullets1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken Fichtner
Date: June 29, 2006

Subject: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette Including Z06 Repair Procedure for Painted Roofs that may separate

On Feb 21, GM released customer satisfaction program 05112 which was last revised on June 23 under version 05112D. This new version includes additional 2005 and 2006 vehicles including the Z06. It provides instruction to inspect roofs as well as a service procedure for a temporary repair that
will allow the roof panel to be secured to the roof frame and allow the customer to safely operate the vehicle until a replacement roof is available.
The demand for replacement roofs has temporarily exceeded the capacity to produce them causing a large number of back orders. A new SMC roof panel is being developed and is expected to be available no later than mid-August. Dealers with stock orders for part number 19120484 and 19120244 should be aware that these parts will be discontinued sometime in July and replaced with a new part number for the SMC roof

On May 24, GM announced a pending safety recall for this condition involving 2005 and 2006 including the Z06 built prior to May 31. Approximately 31,000 vehicles will be involved and dealers will be advised when a release date has been established. The replacement roof for vehicles involved in this recall will use the SMC roof instead of the polycarbonate panel. Orders for service replacement roofs will be filled first then the SMC roof will be moved into production.

Date: June 23, 2006

Subject: 05112D – Customer Satisfaction Program
Painted Roof Adhesive Separation
Vehicle Population and Service Procedure Revised

Models: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Corvette with Painted Roof

To: All Chevrolet Dealers

Attention: Service Manager, Parts Manager
and Warranty Administrator

Customer Satisfaction Program Bulletin 05112C was released on June 7, 2006 via GM Administrative Message WIR20060307.

This bulletin is being revised to include Z06 model vehicles. A new service procedure and labor time have also been added.

A copy of revised bulletin 05112D is attached below. Please review the new information immediately and discard all copies of bulletin 05112C.

The Service Information System (SI) version of this bulletin will be available on June 24, 2006.

GMVIS information for the additional vehicles will be available on June 24, 2006.

Go here for the service bulletin:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/ken...onbulletin.pdf
So, what I'm reading here is that all 2005 and 2006 with painted roofs built before 05/31/06 will be recalled (On May 24, GM announced a pending safety recall for this condition involving 2005 and 2006 including the Z06 built prior to May 31. Approximately 31,000 vehicles...). Does that sound right??
Anyone know what SMC means??
Old 06-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks so much, Ken, for the straight poop! Sounds like the general recall won't be released until the supply of new tops is available in August. Also sounds like all of us '05 and '06 painted top owners will be getting a new roof. Again, .

Good question about the '07's. In the two factory tour threads running now the posters said they were told the '07 tops are fine because they changed the adhesive, but this update clearly says they are changing the top material (by the way, what the heck is "SMC," as opposed to polycarbonate?)

Last edited by Indy-hp; 06-29-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:49 PM
DEagle
Racer

What's "SMC" and how does it differ from polycarbonate? And ditto to Red Flagger's questions.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:50 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just refund me the money I spent on a clear top because I am afraid to drive with the painted one.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DEagle
What's "SMC" and how does it differ from polycarbonate? And ditto to Red Flagger's questions.
SMC is....... Sheet Molded Compound.. This is what most of the body panels have been made from for many years. I think since 1984... I may be wrong on the date. Lexan is a trade name for ploycarbonate. It is clear plastic. Lexan (Polycarbonate) should not be confused with Plexiglas. Plexiglas is very different. It is brittle and not nearly as strong as polycardonate.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Googled SMC:

SMC (Sheet Moulding Compound) has a proven history as an engineering composite with many
unique qualities. This is true, both for the automotive sector and for the many other industries where the material is widely used; such as construction, electrical and electronics.
http://www.smc-alliance.com/SMC_on_t...o_success1.pdf

and

SMCs (Sheet Molding Compound) consist of polymer resin and reinforcing agent (glass or carbon fiber) produced and sold in continuous sheets. SMCs, usually thermoset-based, often have longer fibers and higher fiber content than composites produced for injection molding or extrusion. This can result in a stronger and stiffer product, but the ability to form complex shapes is limited.
http://www.matweb.com/reference/composites.asp
Old 06-29-2006, 07:02 PM
greta
Racer

went to that web site and noticed that they made the VIN # range much bigger. my VIN wasn't there before now Mine is. Does this mean I should take it back to the dealer? Had it at Selman Chev. for oil change on the 23rd of this month and asked nthem to check the roof and they blew me off saying they found no recall for my VIN. yesterday was 99 degrees out here and i was sacred sh****less to drive.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:07 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for the good news.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:14 PM
rmd8136
Instructor

Default what does this mean?

If you own an '06 Coupe within the recall, you will be getting a new top? So going in for the foam fix is not necessary if you are having no problems?

Under any circumstances does a person have to keep a fixed roof or do we all get SMC new tops?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Red Flagger
Considering that the "new" SMC roof will not be available until sometime in August, will a 1 for 1 swap be made for the early production 2007 models? OR will it be available as an additional purchase option? I'd hate to think I would be penalized for buying a 2007 coupe from the first week's production run.
Talk to us Ken, This is I thought by buying a 2007 I wouldn't have to go through all the headaches my poor brothers on this Forum have had to deal with.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:20 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rmd8136
If you own an '06 Coupe within the recall, you will be getting a new top? So going in for the foam fix is not necessary if you are having no problems?

Under any circumstances does a person have to keep a fixed roof or do we all get SMC new tops?
That's what I'm wondering. My roof is ok now, but if they have a new improved top, I want it replaced instead of a hack fix, and still have a ticking time bomb.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:25 PM
greta
Racer

Exactly.....I don't want some glued piece of crap or a ticking time bomb!! are we all going to get new roofs regardless if they fail or not as long as our VIN #'s are within their range?????
Old 06-29-2006, 07:29 PM
DentonVette
Intermediate

Default Now that GM has figured out that polycarbonate can't be glued, what about the body?

If GM has finally determined that the polycarbonate panels are not compatible with the magnesium roof, frame, do we C6 owner's need to worry about other panels such as the rear hatch delaminating? I am getting some strange popping noises from the rear already.

Get notified of new replies

To The LATEST information on C6 Roof Separation-6/29/06

Old 06-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Gov'sGuy
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06

Great thread Ken, thanks.

I'm one of those '07 buyers, my car should be coming off the line some time today & I'm not worried.

If it fails so be it, but from everything I've heard the '07's have been "fixed". I hope that means the new top. If not I'm sure these will eventually be included in the recall too. I can't see a RECALL of 31,000 cars and leaving out a few hundred just because they happen to fall between the cracks.

I suspect there are a lot of people just wanting the "latest and greatest" going on here, especially when they talk about owning a "time bomb" when they haven't ever had a problem.... and are just worried about what may happen.. if... when... etc.

I understand wanting the latest and greatest but lets wait and see, and lets be reasonable about this.

Al
Old 06-29-2006, 08:01 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Gov'sGuy
Great thread Ken, thanks.

I'm one of those '07 buyers, my car should be coming off the line some time today & I'm not worried.

If it fails so be it, but from everything I've heard the '07's have been "fixed". I hope that means the new top. If not I'm sure these will eventually be included in the recall too. I can't see a RECALL of 31,000 cars and leaving out a few hundred just because they happen to fall between the cracks.

I suspect there are a lot of people just wanting the "latest and greatest" going on here, especially when they talk about owning a "time bomb" when they haven't ever had a problem.... and are just worried about what may happen.. if... when... etc.

I understand wanting the latest and greatest but lets wait and see, and lets be reasonable about this.

Al
Al, I have to dissagree with you. In many cases, there is no warning before the roof blows off. This isn't a case where the radio quits working, or the car starts spitting and coughing and you have to pull of to the side of the road.

This is a case where you are driving down the road, and suddenly the roof could be on a collision course with the windshield of a car behind you (or perhaps a motorcyclist). Then, to make matters worse, you may be without your car for a month.

If I still had a coupe (I had an '05 that someone is getting a recall notice on), I would demand a new top as well before such an incident happens.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:06 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Okay, this may be wishful thinking but the way I read it the 'fix' is now considered just temporary and all tops within the racall range will be replaced with new ones made of the different material later this summer/rall.

Am I reading it correctly?

Okay...I re-read it and it looks like you'll only get a replacement if there is some separation. If there is separation then it will be fixed (temporarily) and then a new roof provided when available.

Last edited by C-INRED; 06-29-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: The LATEST information on C6 Roof Separation-6/29/06