C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vert Wind Roar at Speed?

Old 05-12-2006, 03:58 AM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Vert Wind Roar at Speed?

One of the first things I noticed when I got my new '06 vert past 70 MPH with the top up for the first time, was a roaring wind noise that sounded like it's coming from behind my head. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

I believe I know how to eliminate the wind noise and will report my results once I've tested it.

Last edited by C2Jeff; 05-12-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:46 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

It does not bother me. 70 to 90 or so regular driving speeds. Top is down MOST times I'm in the car. On my 5th Vert (many years)
Top is down, windows are down, No fancy wind blockers for me.
I enjoy it the way it is.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Raise the door glass an inch or two and the roar stops. Had the same issue in my c5. Seems like turbulance at the rear edge of the door and around the top of the b billar.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:34 AM
routesixtysix
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C6Jeff
One of the first things I noticed when I got my new '06 vert past 70 MPH for the first time, was a roaring wind noise that sounded like it's coming from behind my head. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

I believe I know how to eliminate the wind noise and will report my results once I've tested it.
I have the same condition. Starts around 60 MPH. I'll be looking for the results of your test.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:57 AM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by routesixtysix
I have the same condition. Starts around 60 MPH. I'll be looking for the results of your test.
If I didn't make clear in my post, let me clarify here: It is with the top up that the noise is apparent. Top down and you expect noise. I'm going to edit the post for future respondents so as to avoid confusion of what the issue really is.

You seem to share the same issue with me: noise with top up above 60. I can hear it begin at 60 but it gets bad above 70.

I believe it is the gap between the body and the trunk lid spanning the width of the car. At high speeds the air gets dense and reaches a critical mass which fills the gap and can't escape fast enough not to make a roar. I tested this hypothesis by putting masking tape across the entire width of the trunk lid and then took the car up past 70. No more roar! Tape flew off and I exited the expressway, got back on to head south again and voila! Noise is back at speed.

Now we know the problem isn't wind coming off the convertible top as I'd first suspected, but how to resolve it? How to fill the gap without blocking water from draining and the trunk lid sealing properly?

I'm going to test putting a length of soft, thick nylon rope in the gap and see if that stops the wind noise. If so, I think nylon will permit drainage and won't mildew or rot. If you try something else and get good results, please let me know.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:28 PM
cksrick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff I had my Convt. over those speeds with the top up and I didn't have any wind noise. Do your checks like you said let me know.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cksrick
Jeff I had my Convt. over those speeds with the top up and I didn't have any wind noise. Do your checks like you said let me know.
Shall do. Now that I've brought it to your attention, next time you take her out with the top up please pay close attention to the sound above and behind your head as you get past 60 and especially as you go over 70 to see if you notice what we're talking about. If you still don't hear a difference, then it might just be that you have a narrower gap along the back edge of your trunk lid than we do. Would you mind checking to see how tight your gap is and report back? I'll take a measurement on mine and post it shortly.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:46 PM
cksrick
Instructor

Jeff I will do that if it ever stops raining here. I won't see the sun till next Friday. But the grass is sure green.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:55 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Jeff I will do that if it ever stops raining here. I won't see the sun till next Friday. But the grass is sure green.

Just measured mine and found it's 6mm wide along the rear edge of the trunk lid and only 3 - 4mm along the front edge, so that supports my theory that the noise is emanating from that gap. I wouldn't be surprised if yours is only around 4, hence not noisy. RouteSixtySix, please check your gap and see if it's also 6mm and report back. Thanks, everyone.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:00 PM
bradb
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I'll check my noise and gaps this weekend.

This may sound dumb, but I want the data to be correct...
When you say "front edge" are you referring to the gap closest to the front of the car?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:20 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bradb
I'll check my noise and gaps this weekend.

This may sound dumb, but I want the data to be correct...
When you say "front edge" are you referring to the gap closest to the front of the car?
Nope, just the opposite: The front of the trunk. The edge that has the big gap is just behind the rear window and therefore closer to the front of the car but since it's the rear of the trunk, I refer to it as the rear edge and is where I believe the air builds up as it flows over the roof.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:24 PM
cksrick
Instructor

Jeff I had to run outside to the garage and got wet but my gap across the back is 3mm.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:51 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Jeff I had to run outside to the garage and got wet but my gap across the back is 3mm.
Aha! Eureka! I was right! It's the gap!

Yours is half the width of mine so air can't get in, hence no noise for you.

If and when I have to take the car in for warranty work I will ask them to adjust the lid gap. Till then, I'll buy some nylon rope and line the inside of the space under the gap.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:15 PM
bradb
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Couldn't measure mine.... but... the gap nearest the roof is about a third wider than the gap toward the bumper.

Now, I need to do a speed test.

If, it is a gap issue, I'll just adjust my trun lid myself. Hell, it is just bolts.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:55 AM
routesixtysix
Racer

Just measured mine and found it's 6mm wide along the rear edge of the trunk lid and only 3 - 4mm along the front edge, so that supports my theory that the noise is emanating from that gap. I wouldn't be surprised if yours is only around 4, hence not noisy. RouteSixtySix, please check your gap and see if it's also 6mm and report back. Thanks, everyone.
I was away last week and am just checking on this now. I'm going to check that gap this evening, but it sure sounds like you found the cause.
The following users liked this post:
Norskie (07-06-2017)
Old 05-15-2006, 11:53 AM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Shall do. Now that I've brought it to your attention, next time you take her out with the top up please pay close attention to the sound above and behind your head as you get past 60 and especially as you go over 70 to see if you notice what we're talking about. If you still don't hear a difference, then it might just be that you have a narrower gap along the back edge of your trunk lid than we do. Would you mind checking to see how tight your gap is and report back? I'll take a measurement on mine and post it shortly.
I have exactly the same observation on my '06 vert.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:39 PM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Just for another opinion -- assuming you guys are really talking mm and not tens of an inch -- measured mine: .3" (about 8 mm) on gap nearest the top and .25" (about 6+mm) on gap nearest rear bumper. I get no roar as you describe at speed. 3-4mm seems like a very small gap.

Another thought on this: I remember way back when someone asked if you had to "slam" your trunk to shut it. Some said yes, some, no. When I shut my trunk lid the whole top (with windows up) puffs out for a second suggesting the trunk seal is excellent. Try yours, maybe it's a seal issue. Just a thought.

Last edited by scrannel; 05-15-2006 at 01:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vert Wind Roar at Speed?

Old 05-15-2006, 09:04 PM
routesixtysix
Racer

Originally Posted by scrannel
Just for another opinion -- assuming you guys are really talking mm and not tens of an inch -- measured mine: .3" (about 8 mm) on gap nearest the top and .25" (about 6+mm) on gap nearest rear bumper. I get no roar as you describe at speed. 3-4mm seems like a very small gap.

Another thought on this: I remember way back when someone asked if you had to "slam" your trunk to shut it. Some said yes, some, no. When I shut my trunk lid the whole top (with windows up) puffs out for a second suggesting the trunk seal is excellent. Try yours, maybe it's a seal issue. Just a thought.
My gap at the front is 7 mm and there is a lot of 'empty' space below the gap. I'll have to check out the top puff when closing but I don't recall it. The truck lid looks fairly easy to adjust. I have another problem with my top. When I put it down I have a hard time closing the cover. Looks like the top is not fully retracted. The cover also doesn't fully seat because of the upward pressure from the top. I followed the top lowering instructions to the letter. I've talked to a couple of other manual top owners who don't have that problem. There are two rods on each side of the top with about and inch and a half of threaded adjustment. I need to get both the wind noise and the other problem fixed soon. I have a local dealer with a good repuration so I'm going to take it to them. It's definitely convertible season!

Last edited by routesixtysix; 05-15-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:22 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Adding this to the C6 FAQ.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:45 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Any news on the fix?