C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling issue......

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:32 AM
servohead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Handling issue......

Hey friends,

I noticed an odd charactaristic of my car the other day on a highway on-ramp. This on ramp is a reasonably tight, constant radius, sloping upwards 90 degree turn. Basically half way through this turn (accelerating at about 2/3 throttle) I shift from 2nd into 3rd. So, while the weight of the car shifted during this gear change the whole car sort of wiggles front to back (in your head just imagine what the car is doing).

I have track experience, so I know how far is too far, but I wished the car was a little more planted. I'm thinking probably upgrading to a Z06 rear spring and maybe bilstein shocks will minimize this instability.... Has anyone else noticed this? Comments?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:59 PM
jmautox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shifter quicker/smoother?
Normally you don't shift mid turn for this reason, in any car.

What is your alignment like? Are your control arm bushings in good shape?

Originally Posted by servohead
Hey friends,

I noticed an odd charactaristic of my car the other day on a highway on-ramp. This on ramp is a reasonably tight, constant radius, sloping upwards 90 degree turn. Basically half way through this turn (accelerating at about 2/3 throttle) I shift from 2nd into 3rd. So, while the weight of the car shifted during this gear change the whole car sort of wiggles front to back (in your head just imagine what the car is doing).

I have track experience, so I know how far is too far, but I wished the car was a little more planted. I'm thinking probably upgrading to a Z06 rear spring and maybe bilstein shocks will minimize this instability.... Has anyone else noticed this? Comments?

Quick Reply: Handling issue......